Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 194 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.4%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.4%

• Total voters
If you have a van in warranty why would you even look.

I am only going to be concerned if there is visible rust without removing bits of trim.

Then when the van is 5 1/2 years old I will go looking in the hope that I get a nice new set of roof bellows and any stone chips will get repaired.

Also the longer you leave it the better the repair will be.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

teeboy said:
If you have a van in warranty why would you even look.

I am only going to be concerned if there is visible rust without removing bits of trim.

Then when the van is 5 1/2 years old I will go looking in the hope that I get a nice new set of roof bellows and any stone chips will get repaired.

Also the longer you leave it the better the repair will be.

Why will stone chips get repaired .... that is not covered by warranty ?

Because they replace the whole roof...

Yes, I reckon the longer you leave it you might have a better chance of a proper repair.

Has anyone had the "both sections of roof warranty extended to 6 years" in writing or is it just a rumour?

teeboy said:
Because they replace the whole roof...

No they don't replace the whole roof. The roof is resprayed using a high zinc content primer which helps reduce any reaction between metal & aluminium & the seal is replaced.

The following is a quote from the MD of Shorade, who are one of the VW approved body shops for the blister repairs....

With regards to your concern on the roof itself, the corrosion is caused by the metal braid within the aperture seal rubbing against the lip of the roof panel – possibly caused by vibration or pressure over a period of time and wear of the seal. The fix for the corrosion is straight forward as its fully removed, the panel is then coated in a high content zinc primer followed by a two pack primer before the roof is repainted. A new seal is provided along with a modification process.

You can read the whole thread here...
http://www.vwcaliforniaclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=7647#p67547

Exactly so any damage inflicted over 5 years will be fixed.

teeboy said:
Exactly so any damage inflicted over 5 years will be fixed.

NO VW are NOT fixing damage. They are rectifying the blistering on the roof & front panel above the windscreen. The warranty is being extended to 6 years for both.

Andy my point is that over 5 years you roof will pick up 5 years or wear and tear. As you have stated they will respray the roof so unless they mask off any stone chips or scratches it will be all nice and shiney. If the front section is corroding then it will be replaced. There are also reports of bellows being replaced....

I think members have a point about not rushing in to get an early repair on the main roof, look at those who had early repaints of the front section only for the issue to re appear several months later.

So it looks like I will be one one the first to go and I will get both sections of the roof done.

I would rather halt corrosion now than wait.

This work does not prevent me from going back to VW if the corrosion reappears.

The warranty still stands.

A

We had the front panel replaced. The elevating section of the roof has the edges under coated and repainted. AB Crush gave us the option to have some extra work done at our cost (repair a tiny little ding that occurred when we closed the roof on a rubber grommet that fell out if the scissor mechanism) the repair was very reasonable in price (and very well done)

Our bellows were also replaced.

Just had my main roof repainted new seal and mastic ...rather stop corrosion soonest.
Totally with happy with the work and the care taken.

malc said:
Just had my main roof repainted new seal and mastic ...rather stop corrosion soonest.
Totally with happy with the work and the care taken.

Where does the mastic go?

2Tapps said:
Is that an official repair centre :?:
No not one of the four origional trained body shops.
VW may have trained up some more though.

Andy said:
2Tapps said:
Is that an official repair centre :?:
No not one of the four origional trained body shops.
VW may have trained up some more though.

I was under the impression that for main roof only any VW approved body shop could do this repair? Pros and cons to that - less of a wait but less confidence in an alloy repair process that has not been nominated and trained by VW?

I am pretty sure that there are only the four VW bodyshops authorised to carry out the front panel job. Roof alone is a different matter, and not part of the current system being set up to deal with front panel issues..maybe any decent VW bodyshop can do that under advice rather than the intensive training that each of 4 have had for the front panel repair..
latest inside news from VW is that they are working with the 4 bodyshops to get more done more quickly....I think there will be an official update from VW on progress and what's being put in place shortly...

I'm a little concerned and after some advice. On 8 Jul 14 my roof and deflector were checked over by Heritage VW Bristol, paint depths were measured. I updated the Forum last week and gathered I should have heard something from VW fairly quickly, so I rang Heritage to find out what was happening.

I've received a call from SJ Curtis, Car Body and Accident Repair, Bristol, VWs approved repair shop. It appears Heritage haven't passed on my paint depths and they'd like to assess them again before they start the repair. There was some concern as to what type of roof I had as they didn't think they could repair all types, but I'm assured they can fix my corrosion.

My concern is, is this the right thing to do? Having looked through the Forum I have the problem being addressed on this thread. I'm also under the impression there are only 4 repair centres with what is getting to be a long waiting list. If it's recommended I shouldn't allow this repair shop to repair my corrosion, how do I approach VW direct? Should I approach VW direct going around Heritage Bristol?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

SootyBob said:
I'm a little concerned and after some advice. On 8 Jul 14 my roof and deflector were checked over by Heritage VW Bristol, paint depths were measured. I updated the Forum last week and gathered I should have heard something from VW fairly quickly, so I rang Heritage to find out what was happening.

I've received a call from SJ Curtis, Car Body and Accident Repair, Bristol, VWs approved repair shop. It appears Heritage haven't passed on my paint depths and they'd like to assess them again before they start the repair. There was some concern as to what type of roof I had as they didn't think they could repair all types, but I'm assured they can fix my corrosion.

My concern is, is this the right thing to do? Having looked through the Forum I have the problem being addressed on this thread. I'm also under the impression there are only 4 repair centres with what is getting to be a long waiting list. If it's recommended I shouldn't allow this repair shop to repair my corrosion, how do I approach VW direct? Should I approach VW direct going around Heritage Bristol?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

How old is your cali as no info. on your post?

John :headbang

Back