Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

£547.80 to purchase new latch spring for pull out drawer!

K

Kingpin

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
So the catch is you can't buy just the spring, you have to buy the complete drawer. While on a recent trip the drawer was closed and a loud ping was heard. Back home I removed the large drawer under the rear seat and found that the spring holding the latch in the locked position had broken where one end locates. Springs do break, so it seems ludicrous that they are not available to replace.
Has anyone else had the same problem? Does anyone know a spring manufacturer that could make one from the old one as a pattern.
There are two springs on the drawer and I initially was going to replace both at the same time, so buying a new drawer you do get both springs, so that does bring the cost down to just under £300 per spring!20231107_085207.jpg

So the catch is you can't buy just the spring, you have to buy the complete drawer. While on a recent trip the drawer was closed and a loud ping was heard. Back home I removed the large drawer under the rear seat and found that the spring holding the latch in the locked position had broken where one end locates. Springs do break, so it seems ludicrous that they are not available to replace.
Has anyone else had the same problem? Does anyone know a spring manufacturer that could make one from the old one as a pattern.
There are two springs on the drawer and I initially was going to replace both at the same time, so buying a new drawer you do get both springs, so that does bring the cost down to just under £300 per spring!View attachment 116125
I'm sure if you measure the length of the coil section and coil section + hooks together with the diameter you could find a replacement on the internet/eBay.

Thanks to Welsh gas, Gavin 123 & Perfectos for their helpful suggestions and to let you know problem has been solved. Finally found a company quite close to home (Warwick) that made a replacement spring for £50 which at first glance looks expensive, but as a one off is quite reasonable taking into account the time spent setting up their machinery.
For the record the company I used is Active Springs, Studley, Warkwickshire.

Thanks to Welsh gas, Gavin 123 & Perfectos for their helpful suggestions and to let you know problem has been solved. Finally found a company quite close to home (Warwick) that made a replacement spring for £50 which at first glance looks expensive, but as a one off is quite reasonable taking into account the time spent setting up their machinery.
For the record the company I used is Active Springs, Studley, Warkwickshire.
Great you got it sorted £50 isn’t a disaster (IMO cheaper than VW price , let alone Labour )
and your supporting U.K. manufacturing
thanks for the Update

Did you get a few extras made since the machinery was setup? You're not the first and surely not the last to deal with this problem.

Back