Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

£82,000 for a Cali!

My biggest gripe - hot water would have been perfect
emoji108.png
It's strange. When I had a motorhome with the facility to provide hot water, the only use was when we had a shower. Otherwise, it was on with the kettle for face washing, dishes etc.
I guess old habits die hard.

VW dealership in Worcester (Listers) are offering a 2021 3k miles Bay leaf green 150 Coast at £75,000 (Ex VAT!).

Yes just had a look myself and couldn’t believe it. And it’s a 150 and not 4 motion. Absolutely crazy.
That has to be THE most expensive Coast on the market.....Unless anyone knows different...lol...

That’s more than double what we paid for our new 2015 140 SE . The worlds gone mad.

Yup, £90,000 for a second hand 150 Coast at a VW dealer. I paid £55,000 for my new Coast just over 12 months ago.

Yes it is a rediculus price but clearly they think someone will pay. Businesses are there to make a profit and will charge "what the market will bear". As others have said, maybe prices will drop later. On the news last night some used car salesman was highlighting how used car prices of quality vehicles had risen very dramatically over the last few weeks.

The "ex VAT" bit is a mistake, there is no VAT on these, often a mistake VW Commercial make on adverts for Cali's.

Yes, even when selling a commercial vehicle they often don’t understand IF VAT is extra or not ( some vehicles-will have already paid the vat when new ) - either they need to train or the salesperson can’t “get it”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No wonder our dealer wanted to buy our 19 reg Ocean back from us. They offered more than we paid for it.

The "ex VAT" bit is a mistake, there is no VAT on these, often a mistake VW Commercial make on adverts for Cali's.
There is VAT on Calis, just not reclaimable on 99.9999% of second hand calis.
If sold new to a private buyer the VAT is paid & not reclaimable, subsequent buyers cannot reclaim the VAT so price shown with VAT included
If sold new to a rental company they can claim the VAT back & when the van is subsequently sold VAT needs adding, if bought by another rental co , the second one can claim the VAT back, if sold to private buyer they can't.

As VW Commercial deal with mainly commercial vehicles most of their stock has reclaimable VAT & their website & default templates with Autotrader etc have Ex Vat as the default hence the errors in listings.

If sold new to a private buyer the VAT is paid & not reclaimable, subsequent buyers cannot reclaim the VAT so price shown with VAT included
If sold new to a rental company they can claim the VAT back & when the van is subsequently sold VAT needs adding, if bought by another rental co , the second one can claim the VAT back, if sold to private buyer they can't.

As VW Commercial deal with mainly commercial vehicles most of their stock has reclaimable VAT & their website & default templates with Autotrader etc have Ex Vat as the default hence the errors in listings.
The same applies to any ex-rental car.

Don't hate the player, as they say. If some muppet is prepared to pay it then take 'em for every penny they have.

Have any of the posters commenting on VAT factored the Second Hand Margin Scheme (see Public Notice 718/1) into their answers?

All I’d say is that it’s a difficult area, and none of the VAT comments on this thread appear to be sufficiently right to be relied on by someone who needs to know the right answer.

I find it amusing that when (probably...but just my guess) three quarters of the population would think we California owners have more money than sense to pay considerably north of £50k for a builder's van with a sink in it, we in turn think anyone paying more than we paid for a builder's van with a sink in it must have more money than sense.

I'm sure people who have an $30m Embraer private jet think that folk who pay $60m for a Gulfstream have more money than sense.

(Just for the avoidance of doubt, I had to look those up.)
:upsidedown

I never quite understand the 'shock-horror' reaction to Cali prices on here as I presume that all those commenting already have a Cali.

I think of it as good news that my Cali value is remaining static or improving over time.

Have any of the posters commenting on VAT factored the Second Hand Margin Scheme (see Public Notice 718/1) into their answers?

All I’d say is that it’s a difficult area, and none of the VAT comments on this thread appear to be sufficiently right to be relied on by someone who needs to know the right answer.

Its simple - if you are a private buyer you pay VAT, if the for sale ad for a second hand van says ex vat, check with the dealer before you sign on the dotted line, chances are it includes VAT as the original buyer will have paid it.

If you are buying new as a business the price list shows the VAT.

The only time it gets complicated is if you are a business buying a second hand van, unless the first buyer was a vat Registered business the VAT will have been paid by the first buyer & there's none for you as the second business buyer to reclaim.

None of the above are affected by the Second Hand Margin Scheme.

If you are a car dealer which is the only time you would be using Second Hand Margin Scheme your accountant / The VAT help sheets are what you should be looking at.

I find it amusing that when (probably...but just my guess) three quarters of the population would think we California owners have more money than sense to pay considerably north of £50k for a builder's van with a sink in it, we in turn think anyone paying more than we paid for a builder's van with a sink in it must have more money than sense.

I'm sure people who have an $30m Embraer private jet think that folk who pay $60m for a Gulfstream have more money than sense.

(Just for the avoidance of doubt, I had to look those up.)
:upsidedown
Friends thought I was absolutely bonkers paying £40k for a new T5.1 SE 7 years ago. With hindsight I have to say I was right & they were wrong.

I'll let you know in another 7 years whether the T6.1 was as wise a choice.

Agreed, I guess I meant the price advertised is the price you pay for a Cali*

*as a private purchaser

Back