Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

10 year finance - yes or no?

That sounds good!! Does it take up quite a large amount of space in the beach when travelling?
We thought about an awning for ages and ended up with the comfortz room panels for the fitted retractable awning. It takes little room and and be up and down in 10 min. For us as a family of 5 interior space is the most important consideration and drive away awning were just too big. The downside is it all has to go away if you want to move but life is compromise!

We thought about an awning for ages and ended up with the comfortz room panels for the fitted retractable awning. It takes little room and and be up and down in 10 min. For us as a family of 5 interior space is the most important consideration and drive away awning were just too big. The downside is it all has to go away if you want to move but life is compromise!

I shall take a look st that for an option as well - thank you! Is there a particular brand that is better??

So we have just put our deposit down on our new beach.... ex demo so we can't collect until march!!!!

First thing we need is a single seat for the second row in black... any ideas anyone without going direct to VW?

Have a look at this, someone else's experience about how things always evolve and there's never enough storage when you have kids! https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/volkswagen-california-camping-with-babies.15687/#post-172055

I've posted a few threads about storage and travelling with children which you might find helpful. Have a search on my profile or Zeratul usually has some helpful threads about travelling in a beach with a larger family.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/camping-and-travelling-with-young-children-some-tips.7890/
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...lland-germany-italy-france.15052/#post-169410

The full width drawer is only in the SE or 2 seater beach. The 3 seater has 3 small drawers where we keep collapsible pots and pans, plates and torches, chargers, tea towels etc. This is how we store things with bedding on top of the multiflex and then underneath clothes, beachwear, spare food, toiletries in plastic boxes....

View attachment 18601

We also rely on an mft euro select towbar mounted storage box for longer trips and use a quechua pop up beach tent/seconds base for storage
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...e-box-tailgate-access.6959/page-2#post-120199

View attachment 18603

View attachment 18600

Some really great links thank you - love reading about your travels and your changing experiences as your children have got older! My eldest is 13, then 10, 7 and due in april :)

So we have just put our deposit down on our new beach.... ex demo so we can't collect until march!!!!

First thing we need is a single seat for the second row in black... any ideas anyone without going direct to VW?

Ebay is your friend there, you will struggle to get a T6 Beach single seat, but a dark anthracite or cheyenne trim will be the best you will get. A quick search on ebay found this tonight
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-TRANSP...724858?hash=item2a77b1267a:g:UlkAAOSwzaJX66-r

Regards
Kev

Oxfordt5 on the t4 forum used to sell them quite reasonably.

We nearly bought an ex demo and were told we could rent the beach until the demo period was up. Might be worth asking about for that try before you buy option!

Congratulations. Ours is also an ex demo with every extra that we would have chosen and more. The only exception is DSG. Ours is a manual and very nice it is too however the DSG does suit these vehicles so well.
As I write this I can hear it's auxillary heater pre warming the interior and defrosting the windows on the drive before we set off to collect some of our grand children for a weekend sleep over.
You are going to have a fabulous time in your new Cali. Well done.

Congratulations. Ours is also an ex demo with every extra that we would have chosen and more. The only exception is DSG. Ours is a manual and very nice it is too however the DSG does suit these vehicles so well.
As I write this I can hear it's auxillary heater pre warming the interior and defrosting the windows on the drive before we set off to collect some of our grand children for a weekend sleep over.
You are going to have a fabulous time in your new Cali. Well done.

Aw you set such the perfect scene We don't have the heater unfortunately, and ours is also a manual - I've woken this morning panicking about resale on a Manual and if we will see such amazing residuals (don't tell my husband I'm having this worry )
Also it's beige, which is worrying me, but after searching google images I think I like it.... argh!!

After saying it all though, it's the adventure and not the colour

Oxfordt5 on the t4 forum used to sell them quite reasonably.

We nearly bought an ex demo and were told we could rent the beach until the demo period was up. Might be worth asking about for that try before you buy option!

Ooohhh now that is a good idea - we have our Land Rover up for sale at present, so good to know there's a possibility that if it is sold we could potentially hire it to bridge the gap - hopefully they'd do us a blooming good deal if that was the case though lol

Ebay is your friend there, you will struggle to get a T6 Beach single seat, but a dark anthracite or cheyenne trim will be the best you will get. A quick search on ebay found this tonight
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-TRANSP...724858?hash=item2a77b1267a:g:UlkAAOSwzaJX66-r

Regards
Kev

Thanks kev..... geez that's more than I was hoping! We have seen the seed with the garage, so who knows perhaps there's an opportunity to "pull out" of the sale if the seat is too expensive... and hope they chuck it in as part of the deal - ha ha

I am exceptional at haggling, based on the conversations I've had with dealers, you would be very lucky to have any cost item chucked in.

The beige is a lovely colour, just poorly named.

if you put protective seat covers on the actual trim colour and pattern for the additional seat doesn't actually matter. Caravelle seats are the same with different trim . we paid £150 for one of those + £30 for an inka waterproof cover.
If you have small kids it may be worth paying more but getting one of the rarer additional seats that has the integrated child seat.

Aw you set such the perfect scene We don't have the heater unfortunately, and ours is also a manual - I've woken this morning panicking about resale on a Manual and if we will see such amazing residuals (don't tell my husband I'm having this worry )
Also it's beige, which is worrying me, but after searching google images I think I like it.... argh!!

After saying it all though, it's the adventure and not the colour
Ther's nothing wrong with beige. Lovely colour for a Cali.
I doubt if there is any difference in the residuals of a manual or DSG. Anyway they are both great. We have two Calis, one DSG and the other manual so I should know.

Hi simplek 1. I've no idea how much research you've done but JUST in case you've got carried away and not done much I'll take the risk of just making sure you will be happy. There's no problem getting an ex demo and no problem it being a manual, no heater and not the colour you want. These are though all fairly big issues especially the heater on a beach where it is not standard. So, I repeat not an issue as long as you are aware and getting what you want.
Your post was giving me the impression you weren't quite sure.

Mike

Hi simplek 1. I've no idea how much research you've done but JUST in case you've got carried away and not done much I'll take the risk of just making sure you will be happy. There's no problem getting an ex demo and no problem it being a manual, no heater and not the colour you want. These are though all fairly big issues especially the heater on a beach where it is not standard. So, I repeat not an issue as long as you are aware and getting what you want.
Your post was giving me the impression you weren't quite sure.

Mike

Mike said what I was thinking, @simplek1 , It must be a great feeling to find a vehicle and probably be able to take ownership really quickly but given your original post about paying for the vehicle over such a long time, I do hope you're certain you don't need a parking heater. My feeling is that this really limits the usability of the vehicle in the cooler months either as a camper or a day van. I won't try to reopen that discussion as there are dozens of threads about the parking heaters but if it were me and i was trying to keep costs down it'd be the first and last thing on my spec. Chuffed that you've decided to commit but just encouraging you to be certain it's right for you.

Hi simplek1, l wouldn't worry about the manual or the colour, but l would think very very carefully about the lack of heater. There are threads about the 'heater debate' on here which you should read. General consensus would be that the heater is essential, especially to keep children warm , and to make the beach a really practical year round van for both camping but also for days out.
Mr RC and me aren't given to spending our hard earned cash on lots of extras, but we definitely wouldn't buy a beach without a heater.

we definitely wouldn't buy a beach without a heater.
I would have thought a van without a heater is fine: between late September and early May you will need good down sleeping bags.

I once camped in February on snow at 4000' in Scotland (close to the summit of Aonach Mor), and slept perfectly soundly. Flicking frozen condensation from the inside of the tent in the morning was fun!

I would have thought a van without a heater is fine: between late September and early May you will need good down sleeping bags.
We use our heater more in the day and evenings than through the night.

Mike said what I was thinking, @simplek1 , It must be a great feeling to find a vehicle and probably be able to take ownership really quickly but given your original post about paying for the vehicle over such a long time, I do hope you're certain you don't need a parking heater. My feeling is that this really limits the usability of the vehicle in the cooler months either as a camper or a day van. I won't try to reopen that discussion as there are dozens of threads about the parking heaters but if it were me and i was trying to keep costs down it'd be the first and last thing on my spec. Chuffed that you've decided to commit but just encouraging you to be certain it's right for you.

Hi to you and to mike, thank you for sharing that concern with me - it has crossed my mind, but if I'm to be totally honest I can't see a time where we will be wild camping... the reason I say that, my son has an ostomy so we have to have a certain level of mod cons around us, so with that will always come electric hook up. I guess as the years go on we could fit a heater, I know it would be a big expense but equally something good to save for.

We never sleep with our heater on at night. We too have tented in allsorts of winter conditions. We now use our Cali all year round and yes, we do have good down sleeping bags, and sleep soundly, but l still wouldn't want to sit in the evening or early morning without the heater on if l didn't have to. Being in a Cali with 4 children will be tricky enough without being cold too!

Am I crazy for thinking that during the night, on electric hook up, you can plug a heater in for over night ?

You can certainly plug in an electric heater for overnight on a hook up. There are,however, two things you might want to consider before taking the plunge.... The Cali heater is a really fantastic bit of kit, it warms the van to red hot in no time ( and can be programmed to switch on and off at preset times) and secondly space really will be at a premium, so will you have room for a heater to stand safely without anyone knocking it over or tripping over the cable?

I have to agree with the above comments in that the Auxilliary Parking Heater is a must have option. I'd almost rather have a Cali without any wheels than be without that heater. Trust me you will need one if you have any intensions of using it all year round.

Oh!!! I'm feeling a bit gutted :( can a heater be fitted afterwards or does it have to be done at build?

Oh!!! I'm feeling a bit gutted :( can a heater be fitted afterwards or does it have to be done at build?
As it's a demo you are buying it is too late for a factory fit heater but don't fret there are excellent aftermarket diesel heaters that can be fitted. You could do this as funds allow, Eberspacher and Webasto are the best and available from many VW conversion companies.
http://www.newwavecustomconversions.co.uk/air-heaters/ as an example.

Back