Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

12v socket outlet behind drivers perch.

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Remind me again why it's an odd size? Reduced load?

It's a Hella socket; designed as a 12 v feed rather than as a cigar lighter. I've just bought an adapter to usb from eBay and it works a treat. When plugged in, it feels more secure than a cigar lighter socket. Not sure about load, it just works.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Talking to my mate who works in the Wolfsburg plant as an auto electrician, he claims it's because in the early nineties, when the T4's were first screwed together, this was the standard for the sizing of a 12v socket. There were no mobile phone chargers or GPS chargers back then, so manufacturers just chose a socket off the peg without a thought to standardising them to the cigarette lighter size. There is no reduced load as far as I'm aware.

I've got a handy lead with a twist off cap, with the cap on, it fits a standard 12v socket, with it off it fits the tiny socket in the back.

Those hella plugs are common in ( older) tricks ( lorry's in the UK)
They sell all kinds of electric divises like coffemachines , ventilators,....in truckshops.
A adaptor to a normal 12v plug(cigaret lighter) should do the trick.

Quality Intel

USB conversion project.

Handy info! Does anyone know if this draws power from the leisure battery or the standard battery?

99%certain it's the leisure battery

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Deffo leisure battery supplied.

Great, thanks. My Hella adapter (which I had never heard of until reading this) arrived today :)

Anyone know if there is a fuse associated with this socket for the T4 (doesn't appear to be any of the 6 in the bank below... think we blew something last night with the baby bottle warmer :-so
Cheers

Is there not an in-line one behind the trim panel where it's mounted?

Maybs I made that up? :rolleyes:

Ok, the plot thickens... actually what we have is a regular 12v socket that I thought was piggy backed off the Hella socket. The Hella socket still works... will have to get the tools out!

Back