Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Trickle charge leisure battery through rear 12V socket

arcadelt

arcadelt

Vehicle
T6.1 Beach Tourer 150
I'm wondering if it would be possible to trickle charge an Australian California Beach leisure battery through the rear 12V socket using an EcoFlow Delta 2 portable power station? I think it is theoretically possible if the connection between the rear 12V socket and the leisure battery is always live and not impeded by something limiting two-way flow, and probably safe since the Delta 2 12V outlet is limited to 10A and the cable is fused that way too.

The reason why I would prefer to do it this way rather than alligator clips directly onto the leisure battery terminals is to keep the Delta 2 and cabling out of the "living area". Now, tell me why this is not a good idea, and especially what happens if I start drawing power (lights, USB, another 12V socket, etc) or even start the van while the Delta 2 is still plugged in?

IMG_0814.jpeg

Knowing VW, that simple 12v circuit will probably route via several control modules, use three different CAN protocols, need coding and dump the van into limp mode if you so much as plug it in!!!

Knowing VW, that simple 12v circuit will probably route via several control modules, use three different CAN protocols, need coding and dump the van into limp mode if you so much as plug it in!!!
Yes, you are probably right

How about using a CTEK charger ( or equivalent) from the Ecoflow 240v outlet into the rear van 12v socket using the 12v male accessory adapter on the ctek output ?

How about using a CTEK charger ( or equivalent) from the Ecoflow 240v outlet into the rear van 12v socket using the 12v male accessory adapter on the ctek output ?
Why would I do that? What advantage does that bring for the additional cost?

I'm wondering if it would be possible to trickle charge an Australian California Beach leisure battery through the rear 12V socket using an EcoFlow Delta 2 portable power station? I think it is theoretically possible if the connection between the rear 12V socket and the leisure battery is always live and not impeded by something limiting two-way flow, and probably safe since the Delta 2 12V outlet is limited to 10A and the cable is fused that way too.

The reason why I would prefer to do it this way rather than alligator clips directly onto the leisure battery terminals is to keep the Delta 2 and cabling out of the "living area". Now, tell me why this is not a good idea, and especially what happens if I start drawing power (lights, USB, another 12V socket, etc) or even start the van while the Delta 2 is still plugged in?

View attachment 117103
Yes. It is a very simple vehicle circuit. 12v socket - fuse - Leisure Battery.
The only downside is the length of cable between 12v socket and Battery

Yes. It is a very simple vehicle circuit. 12v socket - fuse - Leisure Battery.
The only downside is the length of cable between 12v socket and Battery
@WelshGas, would you be able to describe what might happen if the vehicle is started while the leisure battery is being charged in this way? I'm wondering if this is something I could leave connected, or would need to disconnect before driving.

@WelshGas, would you be able to describe what might happen if the vehicle is started while the leisure battery is being charged in this way? I'm wondering if this is something I could leave connected, or would need to disconnect before driving.
Basically you are connecting 2 batteries in parallel to make 1 large battery. When connected the 2 batteries would equalise , voltage etc.
In that scenario using items taking power from the Leisure battery ( 2 batteries in parallel) would take power from both batteries. Likewise , starting the engine would charge both batteries, BUT the alternator can put out upto 80 amps ( there is an 80 amp fuse in the split charging circuit ) which is fine for the vehicle leisure battery, but the Additional battery only has wiring and a fused circuit of 20 amps.

Now if your EcoFlow has a protected, one way, charging output, then I would have thought there would be no problem keeping it connected with the engine running because the output circuit would be blocked when the voltage rose above the EcoFlow voltage. I would expect that EcoFlow would have information regarding this scenario.

Basically you are connecting 2 batteries in parallel to make 1 large battery. When connected the 2 batteries would equalise , voltage etc.
In that scenario using items taking power from the Leisure battery ( 2 batteries in parallel) would take power from both batteries. Likewise , starting the engine would charge both batteries, BUT the alternator can put out upto 80 amps ( there is an 80 amp fuse in the split charging circuit ) which is fine for the vehicle leisure battery, but the Additional battery only has wiring and a fused circuit of 20 amps.

Now if your EcoFlow has a protected, one way, charging output, then I would have thought there would be no problem keeping it connected with the engine running because the output circuit would be blocked when the voltage rose above the EcoFlow voltage. I would expect that EcoFlow would have information regarding this scenario.
Thank you, that is very useful. I will ask EcoFlow, as the 12V output is definitely just output, with an 12V and 240V inputs on the other side of the unit.

There is a thread on here about using portable solar panels through the cigarette lighter socket by the kitchen. I am sure it said you must keep below 10A or you will blow the fuse. Otherwise it should work.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to trickle charge an Australian California Beach leisure battery through the rear 12V socket using an EcoFlow Delta 2 portable power station?
Technically yes but the manual does state not to, so if anything frys, the warranty will be invalid.

Just to regulate the current going into the leisure battery.
That sounds about the most inefficient way of charging, converting 12v to 240v to power a charger that converts 240v down to 12v.

True, yet in the event of needing to charge a depleted battery efficiency is probably the last consideration.
connecting the AGM battery to a lifepo4 seems a bit of a mismatch to me. No problem charging from power pack using ctek but the Ecoflow smart charger looks like a letter to Santa in the post .
I wonder if I’ve been a good boy

It would be simpler to just wire in a change over switch and socket between the leisure battery and the power pack.

When leisure batteries are done, flick the switch and plug in your power pack which will then run the leisure powered stuff.