18” Winter or all season

Californication69

Californication69

Bill
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Searched threads for this question but cannot find a new 2022 version.
Is the consensus still that for 18” winter use,the Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen3 SUV
255/60 R18 112V
Are the best choice for UK & France/ Belgium / Germany roads in the winter season.
Looking for a fatter profile to fill the arches out on the 18”
I understand thinner 245 or 235 are better if constantly driving in snow. But I doubt it will make much difference tbh.
I understand when I ran BFG’s my Speedo was exactly the correct speed as per a GPS (Waze) based Sat Nav. (I think 65 profile on 17”)

I’ll possible swap to a set of fat 19 or 20’s in the spring / summer with dedicated summer tyres.
I’ll be going for VBS or Bilstein air suspension in the next couple of years.

UK & France/ Belgium / Germany
4 seasons or dedicated winter tyres - within these countries also, it depends on where all you travel. For example if just south of the UK, then 4 seasons are sufficient, if further up north, then dedicated winter tyres are recommended.

I agree, summer tyres for summer, but I am a winter tyre for winter person and run Nokian WR4 SUV on 17 inch steels (but they are also available in 18') for my winter needs. If travelling to Germany etc. it is quite easy to get to high ground with snow quite easily ... and same with south of France.

I would play it safe when it comes to tyres, but you need to decide based on the terrain.

General all around winter use , two at the top of my list are
Michelin Cross Climate
Goodyear Vector 4 seasons Gen 3

Both equally rated and will buy dependent on price at time of purchase.

Thanks, what summers are you running ?

Thanks, what summers are you running ?
Currently running the standard Bridgestone Turanza ER300. Have been OK, but planning to replace with something better - tending towards Continentals. Not sure which ones yet ... but I think I will need to change the next summer - depending on how many miles I do this year.

I did more miles during Covid than this year ... but to be fair, it was our daughters wedding and that took a lot of time (and money :D ) ... so now will plan some trips in any time left this year. May try and get a Switzerland in later in the season.

Also take a look at Vredestein. Great feedback on them. Might consider during next change.

Also take a look at Vredestein. Great feedback on them. Might consider during next change.
Had the winter Vredestein on the wife’s Audi TT Quattro. Absolutely amazing 19” winter tyres.

Not a Cali, but i have a Transporter Kombi fitted with 20" Amarok wheels and I run winter tyres all year round. I am on 255 40 Hankooks and have no issues with grip or cornering speeds in the summer, after all its a van not a Porsche. They are also really useful on wet grass or mud on campsites too.

Not a Cali, but i have a Transporter Kombi fitted with 20" Amarok wheels and I run winter tyres all year round. I am on 255 40 Hankooks and have no issues with grip or cornering speeds in the summer, after all its a van not a Porsche. They are also really useful on wet grass or mud on campsites too.
Braking distance on a good summer day with winter tyres is increased, which can be classed as a safety concern, but as you say, if driven carefully, then the winter tyres do offer some advantages such as on grass etc.

I was planning to run my Nokian's all through the year, but in summer the summer tyres felt more planted and also worked better in rain.

PS: Since when is Scarborough in the US of A? ;)

Braking distance on a good summer day with winter tyres is increased, which can be classed as a safety concern, but as you say, if driven carefully, then the winter tyres do offer some advantages such as on grass etc.

I was planning to run my Nokian's all through the year, but in summer the summer tyres felt more planted and also worked better in rain.

PS: Since when is Scarborough in the US of A? ;)
Maine...

Searched threads for this question but cannot find a new 2022 version.
Is the consensus still that for 18” winter use,the Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen3 SUV
255/60 R18 112V
Are the best choice for UK & France/ Belgium / Germany roads in the winter season.
Looking for a fatter profile to fill the arches out on the 18”
I understand thinner 245 or 235 are better if constantly driving in snow. But I doubt it will make much difference tbh.
I understand when I ran BFG’s my Speedo was exactly the correct speed as per a GPS (Waze) based Sat Nav. (I think 65 profile on 17”)

I’ll possible swap to a set of fat 19 or 20’s in the spring / summer with dedicated summer tyres.
I’ll be going for VBS or Bilstein air suspension in the next couple of years.
Depending on where you are going to travel to will dictate. I was in St Anton last year and my all season tyres were not up to the task. I had to put on the snow chain to get out off the hotel drive. Next year Winter tyres for me

Back