Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What 18" tyre?

zerofour

zerofour

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I've just purchased some Sportline 18" alloys and I'm now browsing tyre choices. I'm currently looking at Continental Premium Contact 6 255/45/18 103 Y but wanted to know what other people's experience is of these and what else could be recommended. We live on the South Coast of the UK where snow is a rarity so I won't be needing winter tyres. I'm open to looking at all-season tyres but to be frank I'm happy with summer ones.
Thanks, Adrian.

255/45 R18 or 235/50 R18 tyres will fit. The latter are more widely available/cheaper and have the same diameter. I got nearly 20k miles out of a set of budget (Mayrun) 235/50 R18 on a 4motion 180.

I´ve always had Continental 4x4 Contact 235/50 R18
and have been happy with them although my van seems
to eat them,

Uniroyal rainsport 3 here. about £120 / corner - very quiet, as compliant as the 16" I had previously.
Grip very well in the wet & last winters snow

Recently had a pair of Uniroyal Rainsport 3s fitted for our Scottish trip. Good tyre but I've only done 1500 miles so can't comment on longevity.

Thanks for all your replies. I'm going to try the Continental Premium Contact 6 tyres – lets see how I get on with them.

Show us a pic once done, I too am on the south coast and looking at purchasing some of the older t5.1 sportlines and am wondering what tyres to go for as well!!!

I t
Show us a pic once done, I too am on the south coast and looking at purchasing some of the older t5.1 sportlines and am wondering what tyres to go for as well!!!
I think they suit the ‘chiseled’ look of the van well, also practical and not OTT - I’m very pleased with my purchase.

They look great. Did you need to fit spacers? I'm tempted by some banded steels, keep going back and forth!!

Yeah, the larger front brake callipers on the T6 Ocean meant I needed 5mm spacers to clear them and longer wheel bolts to match. I also fitted the spacers to the rear to balance it out.

Yeah, the larger front brake callipers on the T6 Ocean meant I needed 5mm spacers to clear them and longer wheel bolts to match. I also fitted the spacers to the rear to balance it out.
Why do you need spacers with an 18" wheel when the Ocean is supplied with 17" wheels, surely more clearance with an 18" alloy?? Or is it the design of the alloy "spokes" that is the issue?

Why do you need spacers with an 18" wheel when the Ocean is supplied with 17" wheels, surely more clearance with an 18" alloy?? Or is it the design of the alloy "spokes" that is the issue?
Yes, it's the design of the spokes on the particular alloy wheel (MKII Sportline 12 spoke), they're really designed for the T4 with smaller brake callipers.

Yes, it's the design of the spokes on the particular alloy wheel (MKII Sportline 12 spoke), they're really designed for the T4 with smaller brake callipers.
T4 has 112PCD not 120PCD so were for T5's with standard small size disc brakes.
Basically if 16" wheels fit then these should be a direct fit.

Thanks for the info :thumb