Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Winter wheels/all season tyres

Thanks for the replies, I've gone for cross climates on my new van as a bit of a compromise as I'm sticking with 2WD. It was £6000 extra for 4WD and I couldn't stretch to that.

At the end of December I got my cali put on Bridgestone Weather Control (255/45R18Y103XL). I have done about 1000 miles since then and can say that I am impressed. They appear to have more grip than the previous Continentals and during the reason cold and wet weather, I haven't had any wheel spin.

I go Mid-May. 2015 drove via Sweden and Finland to Nordkapp for the midnight sun.. Up via the cost back inland. 2017 drove to Tromso via Sweden and then back through Norway visiting the Lofoten Islands. This year I’m driving to Bergen and follow the coast back down, maybe! We’ll see.
Why May? The majority of campsites are open. The great whites aren’t on the move so traffic is light. No midges. I’ve had good weather on my last few trips. Roads clear and only came across one road that was closed - the old road to Bergen now replaced by the 25km long Laerdel Tunnel. And that opened the following week.

See here.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/countdown-begins.10091/

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/countdown-2-begins-scandinavia-2017.18071/
Hi @WelshGas as a seasoned California owner with 4 motion- what tyres would you recommend I get when my standard Dunlop 235’s .
I drive all year round as a daily driver with winters in uk.
Thanks in advance
Greg

Hi @WelshGas as a seasoned California owner with 4 motion- what tyres would you recommend I get when my standard Dunlop 235’s .
I drive all year round as a daily driver with winters in uk.
Thanks in advance
Greg
I'm impressed with the Michelin Cross Climate SUV which I'm running now . In the past I've used Goodyear Vector 4Seasons. The Michelins seem a little quieter, although that might be subjective , but fuel consumption improved a little when I changed to the Michelin but only by about 1.5 mpg over 20,000 miles, but once again subjective to some extent. I haven't swopped tyres around and tyre wear is similar all-round within 0.4 mm front to rear and L to R.
I'll be fitting Michelin for my next set.

I'd agree with Welshgas as to getting the SUV version, stronger tyre construction and tread design clears small stones and mud out better than standard tyre.
I have Nokian Weatherproofs which I found have a slightly lower rolling radius than the summer tread tyres. Lost 1 MPH at 70 according to Sat Nav. Same seems to be the case with my Vredestien spare. Plan to go for 235/60/17 next time. The speedo should be reading the same as actual road speed then.
It might be why all season tyres loose some mpg over summer tyres.

Hi @WelshGas and @B J G It looks like definitely Michelin cross climate suv’s For me when I need to replace my existing tyres thanks for the advice.
My dad always says never skimp where you touch the ground - shoes, bed/matttressand decent tyres :thumb :thumb :thumb