Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

18" Alloys and Spare Wheel

Blakey

Blakey

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
If you replace your default 16" wheels with a set of 4 x 18" alloys, can you still keep the old 16" steel rim spare under the van? Well, obviously you can keep it there, but will it be a valid replacement if one of the 18" wheels needs replacing? (e.g. puncture).

From the brochure if you order 18" alloys from factory you don't get a spare. I assume this means the 18" won't fit in the spare slot. So you either do without a spare or you leave the 16" one in there...

Cheers
Blakey

I ordered 18" alloys and paid the extra for a spare steel wheel but VW ignored the order and just supplied the gunge and compressor . My local VW centre says its okay to carry a steel wheel as a spare as long as its used only until the 18" is repaired. I aim to fit a carrier and 2nd hand steel wheel but then need the proper jack wheel brace etc. Starts getting expensive. The VW centre has a few second hand wheels with new tyres £100 each, quite a good deal ?. :headbang

Check the rolling diameter of your new wheels with your spare and check they are nearly the same +or ~2per cent I recall is ok there are loads of web sites you can do this on and then check your replacement wheels don't use different bolts or studs and spacers. In other words try fitting it to your vehicle. I ha e 20 inch Range Rover wheels on ours and have to carry a set of nuts to fit the spare but a 215 65 16 is the same circumfrance as the 20 inch tyre. Good luck

I ordered 18" alloys and paid the extra for a spare steel wheel but VW ignored the order and just supplied the gunge and compressor . My local VW centre says its okay to carry a steel wheel as a spare as long as its used only until the 18" is repaired. I aim to fit a carrier and 2nd hand steel wheel but then need the proper jack wheel brace etc. Starts getting expensive. The VW centre has a few second hand wheels with new tyres £100 each, quite a good deal ?. :headbang
Well I think you'll find the wheel carrier and space is not deep enough to put a full size 18" alloy in, I bought a steel spare and found the best tyre size/combo available. I was told that VW don't provide a spare wheel due to exceeding the weight limit, is that true?

Back