Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

180 cfca engine ‘fix’

M

markcrawford55

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi guys, I had discounted the 180 engined cali’s due to the well documented engined eating themselves…

But having seen an ad for one on here and seeing a comprehensive ‘fix’ including new motor, EGR delete… new turbos etc… is it well established that if this is done properly…. The engines should be as reliable as any other variant?

I still fear it could be an issue on resale…. But if the actual fix is proper…… I suspect it would be a great going van….

One in question is 2011… older than I was looking, but has a decent spec.

Hi guys, I had discounted the 180 engined cali’s due to the well documented engined eating themselves…

But having seen an ad for one on here and seeing a comprehensive ‘fix’ including new motor, EGR delete… new turbos etc… is it well established that if this is done properly…. The engines should be as reliable as any other variant?

I still fear it could be an issue on resale…. But if the actual fix is proper…… I suspect it would be a great going van….

One in question is 2011… older than I was looking, but has a decent spec.
There were 2 problems with the CFCA 180 engine.
A. 2010/2011 Model Year . A manufacturing problem with some engine blocks, recognised by VW who issued a TPI detailing engine serial numbers and repair procedure, basically various new engine parts. Manufacturing was changed for MY 2012 onwards.

B. Post 2012 excessive oil consumption caused by cylinder bore damage due to aluminium particles from the EGR cooler. However, this has never been accepted by VW as a fault with the EGR and nobody has any theory or proof as to why some EGRs breakdown and some do not.

I have a 2014 180 biturbo , now on 135,000+ miles. Zero oil consumption between annual oil changes.

Thanks @WelshGas tbis van had new block…. And EGR blank… and DPF delete… so I suspect would prob be bullet proof!!!

Thanks @WelshGas tbis van had new block…. And EGR blank… and DPF delete… so I suspect would prob be bullet proof!!!
Bullet proof until someone notes the non functioning EGR and DPF. The vehicle is basically illegal. Not one for me I’m afraid.

Back