Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Engine advice t5.1 (140 vs 180 Bitdi)

P

Per Jonsson

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hello!

I´m on the lookout for a Cali Beach 2010-2014. This forum is great, I´ve gotten lots of questions answered.
I drive an old 2009 t5 174hp. Its due to be replaced. I like the grunt of the 174 engine, it has great power for passing and heavy loads.

With the newer 4 cylinder 2,0 diesels, which is best, 140tdi or the 180BiTdi? I´m aware of the oil consumtion/EGR valve issues with the 180. Did they ever get it sorted? Will a newer van be better than an early, say 10-11? Is there any way to check it has the right components etc, or is it better to stay away from the 180 regardless of model year?

Thanks!
Per

Did VW make the Beach with a 180 engine? It wasn't available in the UK.

Hello! I´m looking at importing from Germany, and I have seen a few with the 180 there.

Difficult question to answer in general as it's such a matter of personal expectations.

I have a 180 SE (2015 MY) but I'm pretty sure I would have been happy with the 140. Despite the weight of the SE, the 180 has power in reserve in almost all circumstances. Even when accelerating uphill on a motorway from 70mph, or more (ahem, only in Germany of course :oops:). I can't imagine the 140 would feel all that much slower but it's presumably geared slightly differently so may well feel different to drive on some types of roads.

Given the oil use issues with some 180 and the lack of help for owners from VW and although we had no issues apparent to us with ours I would not touch a 180 if looking to buy.

Hello!

I´m on the lookout for a Cali Beach 2010-2014. This forum is great, I´ve gotten lots of questions answered.
I drive an old 2009 t5 174hp. Its due to be replaced. I like the grunt of the 174 engine, it has great power for passing and heavy loads.

With the newer 4 cylinder 2,0 diesels, which is best, 140tdi or the 180BiTdi? I´m aware of the oil consumtion/EGR valve issues with the 180. Did they ever get it sorted? Will a newer van be better than an early, say 10-11? Is there any way to check it has the right components etc, or is it better to stay away from the 180 regardless of model year?

Thanks!
Per
2010/2011 180 engines had/have problem, but NOT all of them.
The cause, no one knows despite all the Internet Theories. The excessive oil consumption kicks in around 60,000 miles.
As long as you go into it for warned and forearmed the 180 has all the power you will need.
The 140 is the cheaper for maintenance and is more than adequate, but it is not a 180.
You will have to weigh up the pros and cons.:thumb

I bought a late 2011 low mileage180 SE having read all the issues and plan to change the oil more frequently than recommended. It does appear that some have oil consumption issues but lots don't so its a personal choice, I like having the extra power and still get what I think is reasonable fuel consumption between 34 - 38mpg.

Go for the 140. If you need a bit more power, you can always go down the remap route.
The 180 is great when it has no issues, but it's more expensive to maintain and I wouldn't touch outside of warranty

Ive had both - a 180 Berghaus and a 140 SE. In my experience and opinion the 140PS wins hands down - one turbo, easier and cheaper maintenance, better fuel economy and to be honest, not so highly mechanically stressed! I didn't really notice any difference in the drive either ...

If you do buy a 180 and then get the oil consumption problem, you will be looking at a replacement engine at a cost of £7k or there abouts. Some have rebuilt their engines for less but at the moment no one knows how long either will last. VWUK are washing their hands of this issue, so no help there.

I would go for the 140 if I was buying again.

Alan

Back