Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2 best modifications possible

Geoffsomer

Geoffsomer

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
So I’ve had my California for 3 years and resisted doing any notable modifications because I didn’t want to ever affect the resale value. However, I think I’ve just enhanced it greatly and wish I’d done these ages ago. These are now a selling point rather

The two simple modifications are very well described on this forum.

Mod 1 - remove the 2 x stoppers from the rear seat rails that prevent it going fully forward and backwards. You’ve got to do this one before doing Mod 2. So easy to remove, all that is needed is a flat head screwdriver, torch and a bit of fiddling. Well described elsewhere on the forum. The back one I just slide fully to the rear and tightened it up again. Now there is no big clunk when you move the seat forward, and it means you can carry big items in the back of ever needed. Took about 20 minutes.

Mod 2 - remove the rear seat headrests. For 3 years I didn’t consider putting these up and down a hassle, but using the back area for storage was a pain with them always in the way. As I’m keeping the van for many more years I just decided to remove them. I should have done it 3 years ago. Honestly the extra room you get in the back and the ease of making up the bed, really makes this a joy to have completed. The headrests can always be slid in again if ever needed. There are a number of threads that tell you how to do it and it only took me about 10 minutes. I added a couple of little grommets to complete the look.

If you’ve given this some thought, just to go ahead and do it. Best 2 modifications possible

95FE16E8-7C2F-46CF-AEAD-0BA453C4374A.jpeg

19AF6B85-2F48-4CD1-B8C8-F6BAD3E09C0B.jpeg

51546C37-7901-4EE5-86F7-7C2B10418484.jpeg

Hello,
I wish we could remove the rear headrests and put them back easily as per the front ones.
We occasionally travel with friends at the back as this is our only vehicule and for security reasons have to have them on. Pity we cannot do this...

Don’t agree with the headrest mod.
We use our rear seats all the time and they are needed.
Also, we have them to retain the pillows and duvets which stop them falling back into the rear cab...

So I’ve had my California for 3 years and resisted doing any notable modifications because I didn’t want to ever affect the resale value. However, I think I’ve just enhanced it greatly and wish I’d done these ages ago. These are now a selling point rather

The two simple modifications are very well described on this forum.

Mod 1 - remove the 2 x stoppers from the rear seat rails that prevent it going fully forward and backwards. You’ve got to do this one before doing Mod 2. So easy to remove, all that is needed is a flat head screwdriver, torch and a bit of fiddling. Well described elsewhere on the forum. The back one I just slide fully to the rear and tightened it up again. Now there is no big clunk when you move the seat forward, and it means you can carry big items in the back of ever needed. Took about 20 minutes.

Mod 2 - remove the rear seat headrests. For 3 years I didn’t consider putting these up and down a hassle, but using the back area for storage was a pain with them always in the way. As I’m keeping the van for many more years I just decided to remove them. I should have done it 3 years ago. Honestly the extra room you get in the back and the ease of making up the bed, really makes this a joy to have completed. The headrests can always be slid in again if ever needed. There are a number of threads that tell you how to do it and it only took me about 10 minutes. I added a couple of little grommets to complete the look.

If you’ve given this some thought, just to go ahead and do it. Best 2 modifications possible

View attachment 70711

View attachment 70712

View attachment 70713
Thanks for sharing these, Geoff, I’ve often thought of doing both.

1, I am definitely going to do. Good to know it’s a simple and fairly quick job.

2, I was thinking about it, but I often travel in the back (if it’s very sunny, if the dog’s a bit anxious, to sit next to my little granddaughter). So I think I’ll keep them in for safety and comfort.

2 BEST MODIFICATIONS POSSIBLE

Tonsillectomy and Vasectomy. One was required the other desired.

Re the California, I would say:
1. Brandrup IsoTop internal roof liner.
2. Pull out boot tray.

But if we hadn't already got it I would say diesel parking heater as number one and the Isotop as No 2.

With the headrests removed two Brompton folding cycles will fit under the lower shelf when the downstairs bed is made up.

2 BEST MODIFICATIONS POSSIBLE

Tonsillectomy and Vasectomy. One was required the other desired.

Re the California, I would say:
1. Brandrup IsoTop internal roof liner.
2. Pull out boot tray.

But if we hadn't already got it I would say diesel parking heater as number one and the Isotop as No 2.
I agree with the pull out boot tray, and diesel heater.

Agreed taking the rear safety stop out.

Best MOD for mine was chopping the rear shelf down to allow the bed to be smaller.
Huge difference, allows two of the dogs to sleep on the floor when it’s warm.

Another essential for me wetsuit suit cover contraption.
Allows me to attach a small pipe from the heater to the suit cover, my wet kit from biking/kayaking/skiing etc dry in a couple of hours.

Best MOD for mine was chopping the rear shelf down to allow the bed to be smaller.

Allows me to attach a small pipe from the heater to the suit cover, my wet kit from biking/kayaking/skiing etc dry in a couple of hours.
I’d be interested to see a pic of your wetsuit drying mod.
I’ve also cut down the back parcel shelf, although not yet had the opportunity/need to use it. Does it need some sort of prop in the middle to stop it sagging with two people?

Chopping the rear shelf down'. How much did you 'chop' off? Any pics?

I think that the headrests are a legal requirement if you carry passengers on the rear seat.

Worth checking beforehand.

I do not know whether this is checked during UK MOT.

Not a legal requirement & not checked at MoT.
It may raise some interesting queries with an insurer in the event of accident injuries deemed to be aggravated due to lack of the head restraints though.

We remove the head restraint on the 5th seat as our smallest is short enough that her head doesn't come up above the normal seat back. Makes the seat a lot smaller when folded down & improves view to the front for the rear bench passengers.

I’d be interested to see a pic of your wetsuit drying mod. I’ve also cut down the back parcel shelf, although not yet had the opportunity/need to use it. Does it need some sort of prop in the middle to stop it sagging with two people?

I’m away at work until mid Jan, I’ll send you picture of the set up, guessing from the garden as there will be no a Scottish winter trip this year!
This is a link to the bags I use, this is not the exact one mine is from a local company but cannot access there site.

I’ve had no problems with the bed cut down, It’s cut to within mm the of the seat frame. I do use a topper on top though , never found downstairs comfy until getting the topper.
Eight years on and still great.

I’ll
Chopping the rear shelf down'. How much did you 'chop' off? Any pics?

I will send pics once I get home mid Jan.
I followed the guidance from a member of this site for chopping it down.

Back