Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Insurance Renewal and Modifications

britlandscape

britlandscape

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
My insurance is due shortly on a 2.5 174bhp 2007, sole driver, full comp, max no claims, garaged, 7000 miles limit etc etc. For the last couple of years I have been with Scenic and despite telling them that the vehicle is fitted with Sportsline wheels, lowered springs, side bars and replacement chrome grilles the renewal keeps coming through saying "this vehicle has not been modified in anyway". This years renewal is £349.44 and I have obtained other quotes around £220/£250 but as soon as I mention the above modifications they say they can't insure it.
Urgent help and advice needed please on which companies do accept such modifications and the likely premiums. Thanks

Have you tried comfort?
Don't know how they are about mods as ours is as it left the factory.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

No I haven't yet because I would prefer to go to a company who I know will accept these mods and I expect someone here will know. Thanks anyway I'll try them if I have no other success

Did mine yesterday

t4 2.5 westfalia california 2002

£207 fully comp
Adrian Flux

I think I'm with Liverpool Victoria but will check later. The mods cost me £11 and the quote was very competitive.

LV told me that they wouldn't even insure the California. This was a while back though.

I've checked and it is LV.

Mine's a Beach - maybe they're ok with that and not the full-fat camper?

I insured with LV yesterday, no problem at all with SE but no mods apart from the seats.

Maybe they have changed their position then when I last asked them which was at least 12 months ago.
The issue is till to find a company that will insure with mods.
Thanks for the help though.

LV have changed their policy (at least for a Beach) as I had to cancel my policy with them when I changed the car for a Cali. A year later at renewal they were listed on the price comparison sites at a decent rate.
For the mods though have you tried Brentacre? They have a good attitude to changes.

I've got Sportline Alloys and LV were fine with this.

I'm waiting for a call back from Brentacre Insurance.
I may try LV then as I have another vehicle insured with them - its the Suspension lowering that may be the problem.

What a day - is it any wonder people don't bother insuring with all the excuses these companies come up with for not insuring.
Have checked with LV and for some reason they differentiate between a California and a Transporter California. After querying this it appears to do with engine size. They do not insure 2.5 litre but do insure some 2 litre.
Brentacre provided a quote after chasing but almost £400 with a company I have never heard of and a £350 excess although it does include the mods.
My present insurers Scenic for 2 years, who despite accepting that they have a note of the mods on their computer after checking with the insurer Alliance refused to renew the policy despite sending me renewal papers. Needless to say I complained and they referred me to their sister company Safeguard who have accepted all the mods although the side bars and grilles cannot be input into their system they have made a manual note and after offering over £400 at first soon come down to closer to £300 with off screen discount after I said it was too much.Nearly £100 difference
Adrian Flux came in with a comparable quote but higher excess and no breakdown although I did not need that.
Just had email from Comfort saying they have tried to contact but they haven't

Looks like I may get the cover with mods for just over £300 including breakdown and 365 European Cover both of which I don't need.

Breathe sigh of relief :D

Have you you considered A plan look on the t4 forum in insurance area

Did you check about the lowering mod or didn't you get that far with them?!

I did ask but I am not sure I got answer because we got side tracked on the Transporter/ California and the California

HY09UMU said:
Have you you considered A plan look on the t4 forum in insurance area

I have asked online and waiting since yesterday for call back

Well decision made I have gone with Safeguard. Adrian Flux provided a competitive quote but more for your buck with Safeguard incl unlimited milage, Breakdown, protected no claims etc

Thanks for everyones input

Back