Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2007 Cali leisure battery charging.

K

Keiranbarnes29

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Evening all.
A bit of a newbie question. I have a 2007 Cali and cant seem to figure out if the leisure batteries are charged when on ELH or if its just when driving.
Thanks all

Evening all.
A bit of a newbie question. I have a 2007 Cali and cant seem to figure out if the leisure batteries are charged when on ELH or if its just when driving.
Thanks all
Both.
Providing the mains charger is working.
Can you post a picture of your Control Panel when connected to mains power?

This is what the screen says when its plugged in to EHU.
Thanks again

Another newbie question. Does the control panel need to stay on when on EHU
Thanks

Your 2007 California has a switch in the rear cupboard just above the gas bottle lid. This is the fuse breaker switch. You need to find this.

When your van is plugged in there should be a plug symbol bottom right on your screen so that photo suggests that’s not correct.

1695459910809.jpeg

I think the switch should be up for EHU and down for driving - I have the same but can’t quite remember without going outside.

When you’re driving there should be a big letter G that means your engine is generating and charging the battery. The switch has to be in the correct position for whichever you’re doing.

Another newbie question. Does the control panel need to stay on when on EHU
Thanks
Nope but if you mean you’re going to turn the screen off by pushing bottom left button that is actually turning the unit off and will turn off the fridge aswell.
If you leave it alone the screen usually turns itself off after a few minutes like a mobile phone.
I usually leave it on.

This is what the screen says when its plugged in to EHU.
Thanks again
Do you have mains power to the mains socket on the end of the kitchen unit when the vehicle is connected to external mains power?
If not then check the RCD switch in the rear cupboard above the gas locker..
It should show RED if mains On.

Your 2007 California has a switch in the rear cupboard just above the gas bottle lid. This is the fuse breaker switch. You need to find this.

When your van is plugged in there should be a plug symbol bottom right on your screen so that photo suggests that’s not correct.

View attachment 114792

I think the switch should be up for EHU and down for driving - I have the same but can’t quite remember without going outside.

When you’re driving there should be a big letter G that means your engine is generating and charging the battery. The switch has to be in the correct position for whichever you’re doing.
The Rear RCD switch does not have to be Off when driving. It is only connected to the 230v mains circuit. It has nothing to do with the vehicle electrical system.

The Rear RCD switch does not have to be Off when driving. It is only connected to the 230v mains circuit. It has nothing to do with the vehicle electrical system.
Ok I think I was told that by Rob at Campersales 15 yrs ago. If it doesn’t need to be turned on/off why is there a switch if you know what I mean?

Ok I think I was told that by Rob at Campersales 15 yrs ago. If it doesn’t need to be turned on/off why is there a switch if you know what I mean?
The RCD switches off if it detects a fault in the 230 v mains supply. The switch is to switch it on to reset it.
It has absolutely no connection or influence on the vehicle 12v system.

The 12v mains charger connects to the vehicle 12v system but if the vehicle is disconnected from the external 230 v mains supply then the Mains charger is automatically switched off.

This is the 230v Mains wiring loom.

IMG_2255.jpeg

Last edited:
The RCD switches off if it detects a fault in the 230 v mains supply. The switch is to switch it on to reset it.
It has absolutely no connection or influence on the vehicle 12v system.

The 12v mains charger connects to the vehicle 12v system but if the vehicle is disconnected from the external 230 v mains supply then the Mains charger is automatically switched off.

This is the 230v Mains wiring loom.

View attachment 114807
So switching it ‘on’ when plugged in and ‘off’ when disconnecting is the right thing to do? So what Rob told me was correct but I possibly misunderstood the reason?

So switching it ‘on’ when plugged in and ‘off’ when disconnecting is the right thing to do? So what Rob told me was correct but I possibly misunderstood the reason?
It has to be ON when connected to Mains. You do not have to switch it OFF when disconnected from the mains supply. But you do as you wish. Switching it OFF when driving makes no difference as it is only active when plugged into a 230v supply.

It’s a bit like unplugging your kettle and then going to the RCB box and switching the socket off there too. Technically, sure, but like the RCB, the switch in the van is a breaker switch, not an “on/off” switch per sey.