Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure Batterys off grid

Janno

Janno

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi Guys sorry if this question has been asked before, I have a 2008 standard California without solar panels, how long do the leisure batteries last off grid?, the batteries are in good condition and always kept charged up, they will be fully charged before setting off and with the fridge down to low temp too, I know its like how long is a piece of string but its just for the fridge, evening lighting ( leds) and 2x mobile phone charging. Any info would be gladly received as to what you Guys get. Many thanks Janno.....

Hi Guys sorry if this question has been asked before, I have a 2008 standard California without solar panels, how long do the leisure batteries last off grid?, the batteries are in good condition and always kept charged up, they will be fully charged before setting off and with the fridge down to low temp too, I know its like how long is a piece of string but its just for the fridge, evening lighting ( leds) and 2x mobile phone charging. Any info would be gladly received as to what you Guys get. Many thanks Janno.....
I would say 2 - 5 days maximum, dependant on ambient temperatures.

If these are original batteries they might charge up OK but may not hold their charge which they should do for a matter of weeks if not in use.

My 4 yr old leisure batteries lasted easily for 3.5 days running fridge, Parking heater 24/7 + lights charging phone and iPad at 0c.

I would say 2 - 5 days maximum, dependant on ambient temperatures.

If these are original batteries they might charge up OK but may not hold their charge which they should do for a matter of weeks if not in use.

My 4 yr old leisure batteries lasted easily for 3.5 days running fridge, Parking heater 24/7 + lights charging phone and iPad at 0c.
Thanks for the info Welshgas very much appreciated, my batteries were replaced about 6 years ago and are AGM type, I've always looked after them using/ charging them and even if not used for 2/3 months they hold charge well so fingers crossed, just booking some sites down in Dorest and can't get all with EHU.....
thanks again Janno

Thanks for the info Welshgas very much appreciated, my batteries were replaced about 6 years ago and are AGM type, I've always looked after them using/ charging them and even if not used for 2/3 months they hold charge well so fingers crossed, just booking some sites down in Dorest and can't get all with EHU.....
thanks again Janno
A couple of tips to maximise Leisure Batteries. When you arrive on pitch put up the roof before switching off the engine.
As you vehicle is 2008 I doubt if you have the BlueMotion/Stop-Start technology. If you had then driving with Headlights on/ Heated seat on Level 1 or AirCon on cold ( sub 20c if you have 3 zone Climatronic ) forces the Smart Alternator to run at full power so the Leisure batteries would definitely be at 100% rather than the 80% favoured by the BlueMotion technology.

Thanks again for that info, fortunately my Cali doesn't have stop/start etc, and by habit I always have the engine on when raising/lowering the roof, fingers crossed..lol..

Thanks again for that info, fortunately my Cali doesn't have stop/start etc, and by habit I always have the engine on when raising/lowering the roof, fingers crossed..lol..
I still get 4 days out my original leisure battery’s and there 15 years old, fridge filled day before I go away and van plugged into mains until I leave.

As you say. Piece of string but as a comparable string my sister parked with us (we have solar) for 4 nights. End of trip they had two bars left on the leisures. They played it very frugal though. Phones and fridge but no heater. Bank on 3. Hope for 5.

Back