Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2024 California Lowering Springs

N

N14agp85

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
So I’ve just got a California and looking to put lowering springs on (supplied and fitted by VW to limit the issues with warranty)

I’ve been told the T30 springs are what is specced on the system for it, but it was also suggested the T32 ones are better to stop the rear sagging so much.

Is this still the case or can anyone advise/confirm ?

My local dealer can only tell me he’s priced what is specced on the system and is unsure which ones they are.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T30s....rear is fine unless you're going to fill it the boot with lead and or overload the bike rack.

The lowering spring are -30mm but I measured before and after and the drop was circa -20mm on the rear and -40mm on the front.

I junked my lowering springs after 6k and went down the coilover route. I found the front way too harsh

Yeh no bike rack for me, not something I think we would use often enough and we have another car with a towbar for the tow ball bike rack we have.
Yeh I thought of coilovers but willing to give the springs a go first.

Appreciate the feedback

Yeh no bike rack for me, not something I think we would use often enough and we have another car with a towbar for the tow ball bike rack we have.
Yeh I thought of coilovers but willing to give the springs a go first.

Appreciate the feedback

There is no rear sag. The Front wheel arch is higher than the rear. It’s an Optical Illusion. If you even up the tyre to wheel arch difference front and rear then the vehicle will be nose down. Your choice but there is an engineering/design reason VW have built ALL Transporter vehicles this way for at least the last decade or longer.

I’ve researched this a fair bit.

VW offer two official 30mm lowering springs - one set for vans with front axle weights up to 1550kg (product code ending 677), and an heavier duty set for front axle weights up to 1710kg (cod ending 677A).

All T6.1 Calis - Beach, Coast, Ocean - have front axle weights above 1550kg. Despite what dealer might say, T30 and T32 also have front axle weights above 1550kg so should both be using the heavier duty springs (see screenshot from T6 forum).

I don’t believe there is any difference in height between the two sets - just the stiffness.

1717787538385.jpeg

629AB871-5B02-4F77-8D80-3E45E9DA33DF.png

686FC82A-70DC-4426-9947-7907BA3764CF.png

Last edited:
I’ve researched this a fair bit.

VW offer two official 30mm lowering springs - one set for vans with front axle weights up to 1550kg (product code ending 677), and an heavier duty set for front axle weights up to 1710kg (cod ending 677A).

All T6.1 Calis - Beach, Coast, Ocean - have front axle weights above 1550kg. Despite what dealer might say, T30 and T32 also have front axle weights above 1550kg so should both be using the heavier duty springs (see screenshot from T6 forum).

I don’t believe there is any difference in height between the two sets - just the stiffness.

View attachment 124350

View attachment 124351

View attachment 124353

Thanks for that, that makes a lot more sense now.
Will double check which part number he has quoted me for but hopefully it’s the right one.

So I’ve just got a California and looking to put lowering springs on (supplied and fitted by VW to limit the issues with warranty)

I’ve been told the T30 springs are what is specced on the system for it, but it was also suggested the T32 ones are better to stop the rear sagging so much.

Is this still the case or can anyone advise/confirm ?

My local dealer can only tell me he’s priced what is specced on the system and is unsure which ones they are.

Thanks

I had the VW fitted, lowered springs on my T5.1. The issue is that VW only did half a job because the bump stops are not modified so you contact them much more often, resulting in poor ride quality over larger inputs. Great on smooth roads. Better handling etc. I think the only proper solution (and I've read good reports) is fit coil overs such as the Bilstein Comfort spec. Maybe go the whole hog and fit air suspension!

I had the VW fitted, lowered springs on my T5.1. The issue is that VW only did half a job because the bump stops are not modified so you contact them much more often, resulting in poor ride quality over larger inputs. Great on smooth roads. Better handling etc. I think the only proper solution (and I've read good reports) is fit coil overs such as the Bilstein Comfort spec. Maybe go the whole hog and fit air suspension!
That's a BIG Expensive hog then. We have a MY21 T6.1 Transporter conversion with VB Air Suspension, chosen because there's no impact to warranty.
Advantages: Vehicle runs at the same height, regardless of loading. Can increase ground clearance when crossing dodgy field or floods. No need for leveling chocs, one button push levels the van on campsites. Ability to limbo under 2m height barriers even though van is 2.10m tall. Less "roll" in corners and roundabouts, especially in "Sport" mode.
Drawbacks: Very Expensive!
Overall, I'm glad we have it.

Never considered air suspension as it’s not something I fancy or the cost of it.
Did consider coil-overs but from 4 garages I contacted none have come back with a price.
So it was only when I was in VW last week I asked about the springs again and got a price so went back to the original plan of spring instead of coil-overs

Never considered air suspension as it’s not something I fancy or the cost of it.
Did consider coil-overs but from 4 garages I contacted none have come back with a price.
So it was only when I was in VW last week I asked about the springs again and got a price so went back to the original plan of spring instead of coil-overs

Advantage of Coil-overs over just springs is that you can set the ride height to your own requirements.
ie put your 'normal' load in the Cali and have it set to match that or set the rear slightly high to allow for holiday load weight.
Coil-overs will usually be capable of going lower than is practical for camping use.
Other advantage is that the damping function will match the springs.

I’ve fitted a set of Eibach comfort springs lowered springs. (30 or 40mm)
The rears are adjustable, so the garage can level the van depending on normal loads.
Much better handling and decent ride. A bit firmer but worth it for the lack of wallowing in roundabouts alone.

Koni active shock are supposed to be very good, increase comfort and handling , a rare occurrence.

can get a short version for drop springs

Last edited:
I have the Koni Actives & uprated Anti roll bar but the van is not lowered.

I used to have a T6 pv then a Kombi, so didn't test drive the 6.1...that was a mistake on my part, the kombi on T32 springs was fab.

Much better now.

Agree with this comment. We had ours lowered by VW before we collected van. The ride quality was terrible. Very crashy.
In the end we went to Transporter HQ and had Bilstein fitted. The difference is huge and now a very comfortable ride.