204DSG Ocean test drive and pics

motacyclist

motacyclist

Colin
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Dropped in at North Wales Volkswagen today to see the new vans which have just arrived. They have a white 204DSG in the showroom, and a beige 204DSG outside which Ben John (our salesman) kindly offered the keys for a drive on trade plates.

Looking at the white one, the first thing I noticed was VWCC bungee around the elevated roof canvas! The second thing was the new sliding blinds for the windscreen. These appear to be a vast improvement over the previous solution for the UK vans, there is a small gap at the top but this is filled in by dropping the sun visors down.

IMG_0466.jpg

Note also that the window switches have been moved further forward, presumably to stop rainwater dripping in when you open the window. Took VW long enough to sort that out!

The glove box is now a lot smaller than previous, but there is an additional one underneath where the T5 has a net, so overall an improvement.

IMG_0468.jpg

Outside now with the beige one, parked next to ours you can see some detail differences

IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0470.jpg

Difficult to tell in the picture here, but the new beige is slightly darker than the old. Main detail differences are the headlights, grill, side repeaters and creases on the tailgate. The new van was fitted with optional 18" alloys.

Inside the beige van, the standard radio (without sat nav) has a smaller screen than mine. The A/C and other controls appear to be identical to my wife's Golf.

IMG_0471.jpg

Below, top to bottom, "ashtray", cupholders and bottle holder.

IMG_0472.jpg

On top of the dash the tray is now larger and has a cover. It is lined in soft velvet to protect your devices but sadly there is no 12v supply which seems to have gone awol ......

IMG_0473.jpg

(Note the lovely weather outside!)

On the road, the additional power over the 180 was immediately noticeable (bearing in mind though, that my own van is 4motion and loaded with kit). Passing a learner driver doing 35mph, the time to reach 60 took no time at all and the manoeuvre was completed safely in what seemed like 2 - 3 seconds. DSG lag from standstill, although still there, was much reduced and would no longer be be an issue if considering this gearbox. The 204 engine would be the first option on the list I would tick!

Apart from the power, there is little to differentiate the driving experience in terms of ride or sound levels. Although I didn't try it, the test van was fitted with adaptive cruise, which I know from our Golf works very well and would be the second tick on my options list.

So there we have it, an interesting couple of hours on a rainy Saturday afternoon in North Wales. Thanks to Ben at North Wales Volkwagen for the test drive. :thumb

Quote-(Looking at the white one, the first thing I noticed was VWCC bungee around the elevated roof canvas ). Sensible dealership:thumb

Marshian70 - er ... um ... too early for us to change for what is really only a model update, I think the T6 model designation is not really appropriate; there is at least as much difference between the T5.0 and the 5.1. Particularly the fact that the engine lost a whole piston and cylinder in that change!

Calikev - they learned the hard way, two roofs damaged last year! :mad:

Good pics, don't know why they put a silver awning on that new van, looks awful.

Thanks for taking the time to post... looks great
Paul

Dropped in at North Wales Volkswagen today to see the new vans which have just arrived. They have a white 204DSG in the showroom, and a beige 204DSG outside which Ben John (our salesman) kindly offered the keys for a drive on trade plates.

It looks very nice but so does yours. Are you tempted?

Great review Colin! and good to see you!

View attachment 10908

Outside now with the beige one, parked next to ours you can see some detail differences

View attachment 10909

View attachment 10910
I notice that the t6 in the picture has the B pillars black. Is that a dealer fit thing or an option I haven't seen? I'm looking at doing that through a local company after it arrives but if it can come ready id prefer it!

I notice that the t6 in the picture has the B pillars black. Is that a dealer fit thing or an option I haven't seen? I'm looking at doing that through a local company after it arrives but if it can come ready id prefer it!
Good point, I never noticed that. Maybe Ben can answer if it is an option?

Not a dealer fit! Straight out the box

Not a dealer fit! Straight out the box
That's helpful to know Ben. Do you know how they came straight out of the box???
I can't find any options that mention it.
I'm getting the exterior package that includes fog lights and black wing mirrors but doesn't mention B pillar.
I'd be interested to know as my Beach is starting to be built on monday! (although I may be too late for changes).

That's helpful to know Ben. Do you know how they came straight out of the box???
I can't find any options that mention it.
I'm getting the exterior package that includes fog lights and black wing mirrors but doesn't mention B pillar.
I'd be interested to know as my Beach is starting to be built on monday! (although I may be too late for changes).
Looking at the build sheet I have, there is no specific mention and there is no exterior pack on this! Looking at the others we have, they are not black either! I will have a look tomorrow at the build on a different system and maybe ring Volkswagen and see what the answer is.

Looking at the build sheet I have, there is no specific mention and there is no exterior pack on this! Looking at the others we have, they are not black either! I will have a look tomorrow at the build on a different system and maybe ring Volkswagen and see what the answer is.
haha, the magic of VW!
Thanks for checking for us. It'd be good to know how they appeared!

Hi Ben, does the beige T6 have privacy glass or laminated glass option fitted?

Hi Ben, does the beige T6 have privacy glass or laminated glass option fitted?
Hi Johnny! Privacy is a defo! Not sure without checking if it has the pack or just privacy option! Will look Monday am

Good pics, don't know why they put a silver awning on that new van, looks awful.
Yes, ours originally came with a silver awning and we thought it would be better in black so they swapped it off another Cali in the showroom. Funnily the silver one was extra ÂŁÂŁÂŁ's too ....

BTW the white T6 Cali appeared to have a body coloured awning.

HI Ben. We have a T6 ocean in Mojave Beige ordered. Really like the black B Pillars in the picture in this colour. Did you manage to find out what option (if any) this comes with. Many thanks.
I have seen the black pillars on two T6 Cali,s now, Both look like they have the chrome pack but it seems more likely to me that it would be part of a glass package. I have also seen similar black gloss pillars on the VW Sharan (2011 model). Another thought is that it could be part of the electric sliding door option. I can't find any description in the options that fits this. Another T6 options mystery.

Last edited:
It does look very nice. However some of the changes to the dash look like they have come straight from the LHD T5 the extra cubby hole on the top of the dash the bottle holder and the front blinds. And that's from a van that's 9 years old.
I could be tempted but note quite yet.
Great pics and thanks for the article is love to try the new 204 engine too.

Back