Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

150 DSG or 204DSG

D

dale6

VIP Member
Hi,
We are looking at buying a T6 Ocean after owning an SE Manual a couple of years ago.

We have a couple of options. The 150 version has a slightly nicer spec to it but the other has the 204 power. Both in DSG.

Both similar price. The 150 looks to be the newer version with split kitchen worktop and built in front blinds where the 204 doesn't have them, Both mid 2017 reg.

I just wanted to know if anyone thought the 150 was enough or is the 204 the one to go for despite slightly less spec?
Thanks again for your time.

tough choice . I think vw will tell you what you can have.so have that

It is very difficult to say.

If I had a beach it would be the 150 as well I think.

Even with the Ocean a 150 but with the 4 Motion and that bit more weight the 204.

Given the choice you have, go with your gut feeling. Which one do you like. Bigger is not necessarily better.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You can have the 150, leaving the 204 for me! ;)

Signed

A. Petrolhead.

Interesting twist on a usual subject!

better spec 150 vs lower spec 204...

Well, I can tell you that the split worktop and in/under cabinet lighting is very very handy. They also fitted the multi function steering wheel / rain sensor etc on the split worktop models I think too.

It just really depends on how big the spec difference is I think. The 150 is alright, but it probably depends if these few things are important to you;

1) fuel cost?
2) is it a daily driver?
3) Your driving style

If 1 isn't an issue, it is your daily and you like to push on a bit (overtaking stuff etc) then the 204 is much better I find. It's very easy to drive and quite nice to not have to thrash it everywhere.

We've got a 204 DSG on order and have a petrol 204 DSG as a loan Cali at the moment and it's very easy to do pretty much any journey with power to spare, not having to use full throttle anywhere unless wanting to do an overtake etc.

HOWEVER - things like the MFSW, split worktop etc does make the Cali a lot nicer to live with. The split worktop issue has just been solved by the club shop introducing their sink chopping board thingy and you can retrofit the steering wheel if the 204 doesn't have it.

Have you driven both? I found the 150 ran out of accelerating puff at about 45 mph, whereas the 204 kept on going to about 70-80 before it started to feel like acceleration was slowing. This is only my reaction to driving them both back to back. I need to say that my daily drivers at the time were a BMW M140i and a BMW i3, both of which are fairly rapid to 60mph.

Personally I'd go for the 204 but others may disagree....

Interesting twist on a usual subject!

better spec 150 vs lower spec 204...

Well, I can tell you that the split worktop and in/under cabinet lighting is very very handy. They also fitted the multi function steering wheel / rain sensor etc on the split worktop models I think too.

It just really depends on how big the spec difference is I think. The 150 is alright, but it probably depends if these few things are important to you;

1) fuel cost?
2) is it a daily driver?
3) Your driving style

If 1 isn't an issue, it is your daily and you like to push on a bit (overtaking stuff etc) then the 204 is much better I find. It's very easy to drive and quite nice to not have to thrash it everywhere.

We've got a 204 DSG on order and have a petrol 204 DSG as a loan Cali at the moment and it's very easy to do pretty much any journey with power to spare, not having to use full throttle anywhere unless wanting to do an overtake etc.

HOWEVER - things like the MFSW, split worktop etc does make the Cali a lot nicer to live with. The split worktop issue has just been solved by the club shop introducing their sink chopping board thingy and you can retrofit the steering wheel if the 204 doesn't have it.

Have you driven both? I found the 150 ran out of accelerating puff at about 45 mph, whereas the 204 kept on going to about 70-80 before it started to feel like acceleration was slowing. This is only my reaction to driving them both back to back. I need to say that my daily drivers at the time were a BMW M140i and a BMW i3, both of which are fairly rapid to 60mph.

Personally I'd go for the 204 but others may disagree....
I suppose it depends if you need to drive at 120 mph or can live with dawdling along at a paltry 110.

I didn't mention top speed at any point in my post. Overtaking is completely different as for me, I want as much power as possible to make overtakes as quick and safe as I can.

When we hired a 150 manual it took a fair amount of anticipation and planning to overtake (we were in the rolling hills of north yorkshire). The 204 just makes it safer and easier.

The 150 is perfect and I find easy to overtake with no problem and I am no slowcoach. It is a personal choice so decide what you want as we lot have our own preferences. No matter what you will like it.:thumb

I have driven both, both were DSGs, both were very good, If it was me I would go 204 as the spec difference you mentioned isn’t enough to go for the 150 in my opinion (I have a150 by the way)

Having had two 204 DSGs in the past I find my 150 manual more than adequate for my needs including overtaking and motorway cruising. I also like the high MPG of the 150. If the price was the same it would be a VERY difficult choice of extra power over extra economy but would probably just choose the 204.

Well, I’ll chip in an opposite opinion. I think my 150DSG has enough power. I had a loan 204DSG caravelle and did not feel it had loads more power. The DSG gearing is such that W hen you put your foot down in the 150 it just changes down. Having driven both, I’m quite happy with my engine choice.

Just for clarity i chose the 150 and find it perfect for my needs - my point was if price was identical.

A UK based opinion for me without any California european experience ....yet.
My 150 is perfectly good enough 98% of the time for me and more economical if that features in your decision.
I drive there and there abouts around all speed limits if you know what I mean :happy
But I don't have a heavy right foot and I aim more to smoothly progress in all traffic situations. I don't like being overtaken by cars that accelerate and brake hard and the power I have is usually enough to dictate my own flow until I come up against complete nana's.
I was convinced this would be good enough when I hired a 150 DSG and when I got mine I confess I wondered just a little but with only 2000 miles on it seems stronger every day. My 22 mile daily commute returns circa 39 to 42 MPG.

Last edited:
I test drove a 150tdi dsg and it was OK I thought. It certainly kept up with traffic. It’s got more power than most builders vans and they don’t hang about!

However mine will be my daily driver and I will tow a small car transporter trailer from time to time, so I opted for the 204 for the higher torque. I didn’t test this version though.

I do agree with itguy that you don’t want to be on the wrong side of the road for longer than you have to be when overtaking.

If mine was going to be purely a high days and holidays van then I would have ordered the 150.

This is all very interesting. I've just started looking at considering (you'll see I'm in no hurry) replacing my very much loved 2008 2.5 se manual. Among the things to consider is whether to switch to automatic now as I'm not as strong as I was and find it hard to pull the handbrake really tight. I live in a hilly area and the Cali is my own vehicle. Would an auto make it easier for hill starts (I sometimes can't hold it on the handbrake) and would I be better with the 204? Any views?

Yes the auto makes it very easy on hills and has auto hill hold - as do the manual T6s I believe.

I wouldn't think having a 204 over a 150 would make any difference in this regard. With the auto you will also have the additional security of the gearbox being in 'park' when you are stopped, which essentially locks the gearbox and driving wheels up. If your handbrake fails but it's in park, it should hold it just fine (but is not advisable in normal driving as it can stress the gearbox when on a slope).

Many auto car drivers never use their handbrakes at all. Just whack it in park and walk off.

as I was and find it hard to pull the handbrake really tight.
As a relatively newbie to facelift T5's (2010 on), the hill-hold has been a major break through / advancement. Great when climbing hills in traffic. No need to keep pulling the handbrake on everytime you inch forward.
It does encourage you to sit with your foot on the brake pedal, so a bit of eye torture for those sat behind you in the dark, though nobody tends to worry about that these days.

Elizabeth,
A new California will have hill start assist regardless of whether its manual or automatic so either is OK.
The merits of manual v Auto are widely discussed on many car forums and each have their own disciples but it usually comes down to preference at the end of the day and what people are used to.
So my preference?.....
I was a manual disciple and never wanted to entertain an auto (they were for old people :D ) However, having been given no choice with a couple of loan vehicles when my cars have been in for servicing I enjoyed the experience so much I would never have another manual again. The auto is more GRAND, its more relaxing, its less tiring from a concentration aspect both in traffic and over distances and its smooth.

204 v 150?
How do you drive?

Hi,
We are looking at buying a T6 Ocean after owning an SE Manual a couple of years ago.

We have a couple of options. The 150 version has a slightly nicer spec to it but the other has the 204 power. Both in DSG.

Both similar price. The 150 looks to be the newer version with split kitchen worktop and built in front blinds where the 204 doesn't have them, Both mid 2017 reg.

I just wanted to know if anyone thought the 150 was enough or is the 204 the one to go for despite slightly less spec?
Thanks again for your time.

We have had our 204 DSG for 12 months now and love it. We hired a 150 before ordering and had a long test drive in a 204.
Whilst fuel consumption figures of the 150 are slightly better the added HP of the 204 gives a more relaxed drive (and a lighter right foot?) and you are perhaps not pushing the engine harder which negates some of the 150's advantage. This is emphasised even more with the ease of progress from a DSG box where I have found the 204 to be a better match.
Overtaking safety was a key issue in our decision...personally I would rather have that than a split kitchen top etc.
I'm sure people with 150's say they are great and likewise the owners of 204's prefer them.
It's all down to your priorities and personal enjoyment.
Both are magnificent...Enjoy

I own various combinations of VW California as I hire them out, The only difference I have noted between the 150's and 205's is when motorway cruising with a load. At 70-80 the 150 might slow down 10mph on a long hill but the 205 keeps its speed, I would not buy a 205 for personal use too thirsty, seems to get hotter too.

Last edited by a moderator:
We went for the 150 after a lot to thinking and used the extra cash to but options.

We have done 11k now all over Europe no problem at all plus its better looking at the MPG :)

Your choice at the end of the day sure you will be happy either way and depends on where and how you are using it.

We have now passed 25,000 miles in our 150 DSG's first year. Nearly always fully loaded, and nearly always with four bikes on the rack, we consistently get over 35 mpg on brim to brim measurements, often exceeding 40mpg and very occasionally exceeding 45mpg when unladen and without bikes.

In those 25,000 miles I've never wished for a bigger engine, and only once wished for 4 Motion.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Back