Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

25 years of the VW California

Re: 25 years of the VW California PICTURE

David Eccles said:
Thought you might like to see this pic of part of the VW exhibition 25 Years of California at Techno Classica last weekend...no we did not get to see it in person :cry:
The real Cali is not in shot! :lol:
so here is a very cool 25 year press image as well get your Calki fix :cool:

Cool :)

T2 and Splittie there - nice :)

James

Good PR for Westfalia and it just seems to be when they are releasing their own high top t5 lwb camper .... ;)

David Eccles said:
I agree with James .... whilst its nice pr for VW to claim 25 Anniversary it is only the name and we should bear this in mind....
to me, whatever the badging, the T3 and T4 Calis are Westies through and through....whereas the name California will always be the VW T5 models....and I suspect most T3 / T4 Cali owners are proud to own a Westfalia camper and the heritage....

Bearing in mind of course that VW only began to produce thier own California when Mercedes bought Westfalia.
I have no idea who (Westy or VW) originally came up with the name but somebody owns it.

S.

sidepod said:
David Eccles said:
I agree with James .... whilst its nice pr for VW to claim 25 Anniversary it is only the name and we should bear this in mind....
to me, whatever the badging, the T3 and T4 Calis are Westies through and through....whereas the name California will always be the VW T5 models....and I suspect most T3 / T4 Cali owners are proud to own a Westfalia camper and the heritage....

Bearing in mind of course that VW only began to produce thier own California when Mercedes bought Westfalia.
I have no idea who (Westy or VW) originally came up with the name but somebody owns it.

S.

i am not sure they do - from 1988 the T3/25 was offered in two guises by Westy the all year round camper with a heater and extra bits, the Atlantic, and the summer camper, no heater as standard, the California.

Then Westy moved to the T4 producing a variety of different versions under the collective California name.

This is VW marketing, who said something along the lines of, history is written by the winners.

VW actually have form for this, when in the UK they launched the Caravelle Edition 25, it was not 25 years of the Caravelle but 25 years of the Multivan but because Multivans are badged as Caravelles in the UK VW ran with it anyway (and what a superb van it is).

I think the less here is, don't let facts get in the way of marketing and publicity and more sales :)

James

Back