Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

3 months ownership of the Beach, some thoughts and comparisons

We had the table top made to our size got the retaining clips (the same as on the big table to fit in the rail) from our VW dealer £8 ish for a pair and an adjustable table leg then put it all together, fitting the clips was a bit awkward but well worth the effort, it has made life so much easier.

Hey Matt.
If I was you I would bite the bullet and purchase the Cali awning. I find mine invaluable, we use it all the time from day stops to over nighters. Cooked dinner under it, during rain and store stuff under to help keep dry or shade from the sunshine.
It really helps open up the useable space in the van:thumb

If you do go for one, I recommend the Cali Ominster awning. Ive been using mine for over 3 years now and its still in excellent condition with no faults. I used to have a Fiamma on my previous van which was also very good, but I think the Cali one just pips it at the post with a couple of nice little design differences:)

Wow 6 motnsh

6 months

Awning- Really really wishing I had got a cali awning when I bought it, as is often the way after the event I find it hard to justify the cost.

Got roofbars now too (cheers Martin) and looking forward to .getting kayaking in the spring :D Must admit I am going to need some steps to load it though.

Thanks, the awning is definitely the next thing on my list (as long as Jonny doesnt release an internal pod before I have the funds ;) ) Sounds like they are well made so second hand may be a cost effective plan (if anyone ever sells them).

Oh on the subject of Inka seat covers I can confirm, we removed the Inka seat covers for Campermart (you may have seen my Beach on the Slidepods stand) and the seats were still pristine despite regular wet spaniels jumping on them regularly. They aren't as pretty as the expensive ones but they are very very effective.

Floor, not so easy to clean if it gets muddy, it took a few hours with cloths and water, then a clean by a professional and its still a little murky (but pretty good). How do people clean the beach floor? Maybe I need some mats?

I had my van professionally cleaned/detailed by a guy last year called Detail My Ride. I don't know how, but the floor inside looked like new after he had finished it.
Unfortunately his website seems to have gone and im not sure if he has shut up shop...??? I hope not, because his work was awesome. Need to swing by his workshop when I get a minute

The smaller tables look great and very practical.
I too found the supplied table a bit cumbersome, especially for short stops. Also you can't open the under seat drawer when the legs are down.
For quick stops, we needed somewhere for the kettle or (Trangia) Gas stove so I made this little fold out table.
Table 1.JPG Table 2.JPG

That looks great. Could you explain the mounting/folding mechanism please.

I used 2 x Folding Table Brackets (ebay) and mounted a sheet of grey perspex with industrial double sided adhesive tape onto them. The Perspex is shaped to get maximum size whilst clearing the "mouldings".

Back