Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

3 Seater Beach Questions

roblpmedinburgh

roblpmedinburgh

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi,

I have a 3-seater Beach on order which I am confident is the right option for me as it will be my daily driver and I need it to fulfil every role possible!

However obviously it will have some downsides......!

Couple of initial questions.

Is there somewhere to put a porta-potti when the downstairs bed is out? I fear not....!
Can you get the tiny cooker out when the downstairs bed is out? For morning coffee!!
Has anyone invented a small storage box or something that maybe fits between the front seats for minimal mug, saucepan, coffee storage? Or is there enoght space and access for a box on the floor behind the seats? Actually I suppose I could just swivel the drivers seats and put a box from the back of the van on the seats overnight.

Clearly the optimum with a 3 seat beach is sleeping upstairs and using the downstairs as a living area. Will usually only be me or me and my Mrs (though having grown up on the equator I'm not sure how keen she is going to be on winter camping.....!). However, I am just thinking in the winter it may be easier and warmer to sleep downstairs for quick overnight stops.

Cheers

Rob

I have a 3-seater T6.1 Beach.

- The Thetford Porta Potti 345 fits between the folded-out bed and front passenger seat (well driver’s seat for me here in Germany). There are various covers available that will disguise it a bit when not in use.

- You cannot pull out the kitchen when the bench is folded down as a bed. I’ve never actually used that cooker as I prefer cooking outside to avoid smells, mess and condensation.

- There are various solutions for between the front seats. There are the likes of https://www.etsy.com/de-en/listing/...a526055a3c77445c3745fc5ad705204138:1113830114 , but we just have a foldable car organiser that cost about 15€ from Amazon.

If there is just the two of you then having everything accessible without needing to open any door should be easy, we manage it as a couple with two kids.

I have a 3-seater T6.1 Beach.

- The Thetford Porta Potti 345 fits between the folded-out bed and front passenger seat (well driver’s seat for me here in Germany). There are various covers available that will disguise it a bit when not in use.

- You cannot pull out the kitchen when the bench is folded down as a bed. I’ve never actually used that cooker as I prefer cooking outside to avoid smells, mess and condensation.

- There are various solutions for between the front seats. There are the likes of https://www.etsy.com/de-en/listing/1113830114/storage-box-for-t5t6t61-center-console?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=vw+california+storage&ref=sc_gallery-1-2&local_signal_search=1&referrer_page_guid=db050bd1-cea4-45d1-a8ad-08948ca4a103&plkey=d3363ba526055a3c77445c3745fc5ad705204138:1113830114 , but we just have a foldable car organiser that cost about 15€ from Amazon.

If there is just the two of you then having everything accessible without needing to open any door should be easy, we manage it as a couple with two kids.
Great thanks a lot so it seems like there is a small amount of space between the bed and the seat which is great to hear. I will come up with a different solution for boiling some water….. like a low wattage kettle or something. I will be dangerous driving in the morning if I don’t have a coffee first!!

Hi,

I have a 3-seater Beach on order which I am confident is the right option for me as it will be my daily driver and I need it to fulfil every role possible!

However obviously it will have some downsides......!

Couple of initial questions.

Is there somewhere to put a porta-potti when the downstairs bed is out? I fear not....!
Can you get the tiny cooker out when the downstairs bed is out? For morning coffee!!
Has anyone invented a small storage box or something that maybe fits between the front seats for minimal mug, saucepan, coffee storage? Or is there enoght space and access for a box on the floor behind the seats? Actually I suppose I could just swivel the drivers seats and put a box from the back of the van on the seats overnight.

Clearly the optimum with a 3 seat beach is sleeping upstairs and using the downstairs as a living area. Will usually only be me or me and my Mrs (though having grown up on the equator I'm not sure how keen she is going to be on winter camping.....!). However, I am just thinking in the winter it may be easier and warmer to sleep downstairs for quick overnight stops.

Cheers

Rob
Fits between front seats. Edited to say mine is an automatic no idea where gear stick is!

Fits between front seats. Edited to say mine is an automatic no idea where gear stick is!
Auto here. Only choice on new ones!

Great thanks a lot so it seems like there is a small amount of space between the bed and the seat which is great to hear. I will come up with a different solution for boiling some water….. like a low wattage kettle or something. I will be dangerous driving in the morning if I don’t have a coffee first!!
I don't understand the need for a low wattage kettle that will take forever to boil in the morning, even assuming you have enough leisure battery left. Normally you would put the bed away before driving off thus allowing you to use the gas cooker to get your coffee fix.

There are coolers that fit neatly in the space between the front seats. I think I would opt for one of those if I had a Beach. Just make sure you don't plug it in to a starter battery socket.

I would recommend investing in a Jetboil for tea/ coffee. Expensive but invaluable in our experience.

Also, if you’re impatient like us (or rather, our kids!) when preparing dinner, it’s great for boiling water and then adding to pot of pasta to be cooked on a stove. Reduces prep time by a few minutes over just using a camping stove.

I don't understand the need for a low wattage kettle that will take forever to boil in the morning, even assuming you have enough leisure battery left. Normally you would put the bed away before driving off thus allowing you to use the gas cooker to get your coffee fix.

There are coolers that fit neatly in the space between the front seats. I think I would opt for one of those if I had a Beach. Just make sure you don't plug it in to a starter battery socket.
Hmmm I was hoping for coffee in bed!!!

Hmmm I was hoping for coffee in bed!!!
I have a cover on the portopotty and a tray on top. This makes a low level table to boil my electric kettle and make filter coffee. Pre heating water and putting in a thermos helps to speed heating and I find the themos keeps water hot enough for filler coffee just before leaving a site when everything packed.

I have a cover on the portopotty and a tray on top. This makes a low level table to boil my electric kettle and make filter coffee. Pre heating water and putting in a thermos helps to speed heating and I find the themos keeps water hot enough for filler coffee just before leaving a site when everything packed.
Thanks sounds perfect!

Thanks sounds perfect!
Very messy picture but gives an idea. The only picture I have of the kettle. I run a trailing socket along by the seats under a rubber cover so I can have power by the door. I use an induction hob to cook. Hope you get to enjoy your van soon.
1698596756693.png

Last edited: