Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4Motion-ers

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Are there many of "us" about?

Inspired by the Berghaus brigade, I thought it might be interesting to have a 4Motion corner. Any tales of where it's really helped, etc?

I love the fact that our "van" is as capable (if not more) than many SUVs in the rough stuff - clearly it can't do greenlaning but the traction on dodgy surfaces (e.g. wet campsites!) seems to be excellent. Not had a squeak of wheel spin from ours on the road either - not bad with the torque being dished out.

Don't see a lot of 4Motions about, even in nn Cali form. They seem like a very good works vehicle option to me for those that venture a little off the beaten track.

Ours is a 4Motion principally because we live down a very remote steep lane in Wales that is impassible if it snows/freezes.

We used to have a Landrover as a second car but couldn't justify having 3 vehicles (if we wanted a camper van). So sold the Landy and bought a 4Motion

henchard said:
Ours is a 4Motion principally because we live down a very remote steep lane in Wales that is impassible if it snows/freezes.

As do we but in Cornwall

We used to have a Landrover as a second car but couldn't justify having 3 vehicles (if we wanted a camper van). So sold the Landy and bought a 4Motion

Which is exactly what we've just done!!

I also have a 4motion cali, without doubt the most versatile and fun SUV I've ever had. Used it to tow my daughter's and my trail bikes to an enduro the other weekend over wet muddy fields with no problem. Great to have the awning out and getting a brew on after a cold wet ride, much to the envy of others.

Also have a Landrover which I haven't sold as I seem to develop an unhealthy attachment to inanimate objects (especially those with engines). In fact, with four 4x4's/4motions/quattros, I cannot see myself returning to two-wheel drive in the near future (except maybe an Aston V8 Vantage S).

Cheers

NZgypsy said:
I also have a 4motion cali, without doubt the most versatile and fun SUV I've ever had. Used it to tow my daughter's and my trail bikes to an enduro the other weekend over wet muddy fields with no problem. Great to have the awning out and getting a brew on after a cold wet ride, much to the envy of others.

Also have a Landrover which I haven't sold as I seem to develop an unhealthy attachment to inanimate objects (especially those with engines). In fact, with four 4x4's/4motions/quattros, I cannot see myself returning to two-wheel drive in the near future (except maybe an Aston V8 Vantage S).

Cheers

Sounds like you lead a fun life out there, what with your fleet of fun cars and living in NZ! Not an easy place to make money though - can I ask roughly what you do?! We spent three months touring both Islands and loved it (knocked spots on Oz too which we spent two months in!).

Having run a few "interesting" cars, I'll not be going FWD again for sure. I like RWD; love a bit of oversteer/rear end action. Having driven 5500 miles around NZ in a 2.0 Accord, I'd love to do it again in something fun - probably a 911T or similar! Great waves too - had a lot of good surf, especially down South.

I think the zero tolerance speeding policy would cost me a few cars or bikes if I lives over there permanently!!

Back