Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How many of the 2494 UK Cali owners in the club?

motacyclist

motacyclist

Colin
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
I notice several instances where members have posted up they have spotted a Cali on the road and this led me to wonder what the chances were of the other owner responding on here.

According to the website How Many Left? the total number of Calis registered in the UK in 2014 was 2494. I was wondering how many of these owners there are in the club?

Colin

(Below is the info from "howmanyleft")

CALIFORNIA BEACH BLUE TDI AUTO 31
CALIFORNIA BEACH BLUEMOTIONTDI 220
CALIFORNIA BEACH TDI 128
CALIFORNIA BERGHAUS TDI 75
CALIFORNIA SE TDI 140 443
CALIFORNIA SE TDI 140 S-A 88
CALIFORNIA SE TDI 180 381
CALIFORNIA SE TDI 180 4X4 122
CALIFORNIA SE TDI 180 4X4 AUTO 109
CALIFORNIA SE TDI 180 A 415
CALIFORNIA SE TDI 4MOTION 2
CALIFORNIA SE TDI 4MOTION BMT 30
CALIFORNIA SE TDI 4MOTION BMTA 68
CALIFORNIA SE TDI BMT 208
CALIFORNIA SE TDI BMT AUTO 136
CALIFORNIA SE TDI BMT S-A 36
CALIFORNIA TDI BMT 1
CALIFORNIA TDI BMT AUTO 1
TOTAL 2494

I have given up posting my Cali spots! Hardly anyone ever replies, I do however see quite a lot since moving down here to Devon and also see the odd one with a club sticker.

I would say a good percentage of owners are possibly registered with us but many are not active on the forum and will just come on here when they have a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's actually a lot more than the 2494...

Doesn't include any of the pre-face lift versions, equally many were incorrectly logged by dealers... I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least double or treble this number.

There's now 3 on our street alone and it's not that big a street. (Interestingly never actually spoken to any of the other owners)

There's also at least another 3 within 5 minutes walk...

Many people aren't "enthusiasts"... they just saw the vehicle that suited them and went for it. In fact the last thing they want is to be part of a "scene" and just want to get on with enjoying their holidays.

Fortunately it takes all sorts to make the world and camper owners (Cali or otherwise) will cover the full gamut.

Blimey! We nearly fall off our seats if we see another Cali! We can go literally weeks without seeing another one, and we are out and about every day.

Crikey... Can't move without bumping into one round here... Just noticed teacher at my daughters schools has now even got one as her daily driver having swapped out from a caravelle.

I always try to wave once, then leave them in peace.

Wasn't like that a few years ago... ;)

That chart does not dsplay any pre facelift Cali's

Blimey! We nearly fall off our seats if we see another Cali! We can go literally weeks without seeing another one, and we are out and about every day.
Same here; I saw a few when I was away in the lakes with the caravan last summer, but I think I've only seen 2 since getting Ariadne back in December - and that's being out and about everyday. So where are you where all these Calis are congregating, Simplydubs? :)

Sunny (?) Northamptonshire... as per my profile. :)

We also get "spotted" fairly regularly by other vans... frequently in a local Waitrose or Tesco car park.

It's fairly seldom we hit the motorway without passing at least one other. Our daughter actually plays a game where we see who can spot the most on a single trip... Highest score was 7, but that was on a sunny summer trip down to and through Devon and Dorset. (Not including VW meets of course ;) )

Think we've been doing this for far too long.

Oh... I've just noticed my profile now says I have a T5 Beach... How strange...

Sorry, SimplyDubs; I couldn't see your profile location when viewing the forum on my phone.
I wonder why there are so many up your way then? I suppose the higher the population density, the greater chance there is of seeing more on the daily drive, but I don't know whether that applies in this case. I have spent the last year eagle-eyed on every journey, but even during the summer I think I only saw a couple around my local(ish) area. I quite like being the only Cali in the village :D

We need a map!

Maud

Sorry, SimplyDubs; I couldn't see your profile location when viewing the forum on my phone.
I wonder why there are so many up your way then?
Maud

No worries Maud :)

Possibly population density as you but more likely a greater desperation to get away it from when they get the chance... probably very different when you already live in the places the city dwellers are heading off to... Lucky :) (I include Scotland, South Coast, Cornwall etc etc amongst all these)

So posibly a sign of a poorer normal quality of life ;)

I quite like being the only Cali in the village :D

Maud

I used to love this too, but that was a long time ago now... :(

Still more opportunities to wave and appear as "that strange bloke that came up to talk to us at the shops"...

Possibly population density as you but more likely a greater desperation to get away it from when they get the chance... probably very different when you already live in the places the city dwellers are heading off to... Lucky :) (I include Scotland, South Coast, Cornwall etc etc amongst all these)

Not sure why there are so many here in Brighton then :)

Back