4Motion explanation and how it works.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Before delving too deeply into 4MOTION, understand that there are two different versions, one for VW models equipped with longitudinal drivetrains, such as the Phaeton and Touareg, and another for those VW models with transverse engines, including Jetta and Passat and T5. Phaeton and Touareg models use a Torsen center differential to control and deliver power to all four wheels. However, the transverse drivers are equipped with a high-performance Haldex clutch at the rear axle to accomplish the same task. And it is the latter system that we will concentrate on here. This is actually the second-generation 4MOTION; an earlier version was introduced on the Golf in some markets (but not the U.S.) in 1998. This new-generation all-wheel-drive system has been improved in many aspects. For example, the Haldex clutch unit mounted directly on the rear axle is now significantly more compact.

The most important technical element of 4MOTION is the latest generation wet-running (oil bath) Haldex multi-disc clutch. Compared to a straightforward mechanical Torsen® differential, the Haldex unit offers the significant advantage that it can be electronically controlled. As a result, it integrates perfectly with the Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), traction control Anti-Slip Regulation (ASR), the Electronic Differential Lock (EDL), and the Electronic Stabilization Program (ESP).

As soon as there’s any difference in the rotation speeds of the front and rear axles, two pumps located within the multi-disc clutch are activated. These build up pressure in the transmission unit and thereby “link together” the two axles. They only take effect when the input and output shafts of the transmission unit are no longer turning at the same speed because only then is torque splitting necessary.

Altering the pressure exerted on the clutch discs can vary the amount of torque transmitted. This makes it possible to control the power flow between the front and rear wheels. The transmission unit performs infinitely variable torque control from zero up to full transmission – a 50:50 split of the propulsion power between the front and rear wheels.

When the car is driving straight ahead and there’s no difference in grip between the wheels, 90 percent of the power is sent to the front axle and 10 percent to the rear. The only thing the driver really notices is that any VW model equipped with 4MOTION retains neutral handling characteristics and stays on course in practically any situation.

The Haldex coupling is mounted on the rear axle differential and is driven by the drive shaft. The electronic control unit for the Haldex clutch unit gets all the important drive and engine information via the CAN (Controller Area Network) bus. This includes signals from the wheel sensors, the ABS and ESP as well as information about the accelerator pedal position and engine revs. This data provides the engine control module with all the information it needs on road speed, cornering, coasting or traction mode, allowing the system to continually monitor and regulate the level of hydraulic pressure to respond optimally to any driving condition.

Commands from the electronic control unit are carried out very rapidly by the Haldex unit. Full pressure is applied after a rotation angle of only 45 degrees of the first revolution after the Haldex receives an electronic signal. This generates the corresponding torque at the rear axle.

What about side-to-side slippage? This is when the Electronic Differential Lock comes into action to control traction. Think of this as ABS in reverse because EDL uses the same sensors and components as the ABS but to control “acceleration” instead of “braking” slip.

The speed sensors at each wheel continually send information to the ABS control module. When there is a difference in wheel speeds, the EDL function applies the brakes to the wheel that is spinning to control slip. When brakes are applied to the wheel that is spinning, power will automatically be sent through the differential to the wheel that has traction. For example, if the vehicle is on a patch of ice and only one wheel has traction, EDL will pump the brakes of the three wheels that are spinning.

Some of the system’s important characteristics include compatibility with different size tires, quick response and no strain on the multi-plate clutch when parking and maneuvering.

Traction off the line is aided by the Haldex coupling, which directs power to the rear wheels when it detects the front pair slipping.

You’ll also experience the benefits of 4MOTION the moment you attempt to accelerate on wet or slippery pavement. In a front-wheel-drive vehicle, the car will attempt to spin its front wheels. But before it can do this, the car’s traction control system will intervene, applying the brakes and adjusting the throttle opening. The net effect is that you’ll accelerate at a rather modest rate. 4MOTION response is decidedly different.

Transferring torque to those tires with the most traction results in dramatically quicker acceleration. The only time the traction control will intrude significantly is on an extremely slippery surface such as ice.

Drivers will really appreciate the precise manner in which a 4MOTION-equipped VW corners and steers. Torque steer is eliminated. Absolutely gone. The first time you accelerate hard through an uphill hairpin bend with a lot of steering cranked on and experience the ease with which the VW model grips the pavement. With 4MOTION, power can be transmitted variably to all four wheels using electronic control.

Nice report Paul !
I miss my LR Defender ....two gearsticks , ratles everywhere , frozen inside windows at wintertime , the air vents in the front bulckhead....real 4x4 !

Indeed or any of the early Quattros with pneumatic control of the diff locks.

Our Tiguan is 4 motion but I've never tried it in anger. My last Quatro had viscous couplings and that was fab so the latest 4 motion must be pretty good.

I think I'm slowly coming round to the idea of a 4Mo Cali..

Just out of interest, there is a 4Motion 140hp Cali listed in the for sale section. I thought (at least in the UK) 4Motion was a 180 option???

Blimey! All that extra weight and only 140 ponies? I tested a 140 Cali a few years back and I thought it was flat as the proverbial fart.

Blimey! All that extra weight and only 140 ponies? I tested a 140 Cali a few years back and I thought it was flat as the proverbial fart.
I suspected an error in the listing but thought the owner may know better than me!

Indeed or any of the early Quattros with pneumatic control of the diff locks.

Our Tiguan is 4 motion but I've never tried it in anger. My last Quatro had viscous couplings and that was fab so the latest 4 motion must be pretty good.

I think I'm slowly coming round to the idea of a 4Mo Cali..

Our Yeti (same platform as the Tiguan) is also 4Motion and I have tried it out in anger. The difference between the 4x4 on the Yeti and the 2wd Octavia (again basically the same platform) I had before is remarkable. Sticks like the proverbial to a blanket on cornering and very difficult to lose traction even with 185bhp in the wet.
Wouldn't be without the 4Motion on either the Yeti or the Cali now. :bananadance

Mine one is a 2015 Beach 140hp 4Motion..... Spanish spec. I find it great, no doubt 180hp have to be better, but that one works superb.

Nice when off-road.... I've already had to use diff lock to escape from wet grass and mud terrain were I've parked once to sleep at.

Nice when off-road.... I've already had to use diff lock to escape from wet grass and mud terrain were I've parked once to sleep at.

Did you try to escape without the diff lock first? I'm interested as I've ordered a 4MOTION, but no diff lock. I am hoping the electronic diff lock (EDL) will be enough for escaping from a bit of mud and grass.

Just out of interest, there is a 4Motion 140hp Cali listed in the for sale section. I thought (at least in the UK) 4Motion was a 180 option???
Yes the 140 had the option of 4-motion, regarding extra weight the brochure states gross vehicle weight is approx 80kg. more than standard cali and payload is approx. 50kg less than standard cali.

Did you try to escape without the diff lock first? I'm interested as I've ordered a 4MOTION, but no diff lock. I am hoping the electronic diff lock (EDL) will be enough for escaping from a bit of mud and grass.

Yes I did, and in this case I was lucky to have diff lock. Wet grass is very slipery. If you will go for 4Motion IMO it worth get also the diff lock for off road occasions and some circunstances like this:

I've added diff lock in the end. From all the info I've read and analyzed, doing without it in most cases should be fine. There is a default electronic "kinda difflock" after all. What it does, breaking the wheels that spin in order to give more power to wheel with traction. So in order for that system to work effectively you should add pretty much power and wheels spin.
So in situations where you want to avoid wheelspin to prevent digging in into mud/sand/snow, the difflock should help a lot.
And of course that rare situation shown on a video posted on forum some time ago, when you go diagonally with 1 rear wheel hanging in the air.

I meant that video above ) So in situation when 2 wheels are in the air diagonally there is almost no go without difflock ) This video is a good promo of a difflock, not sure how frequently you'll be stuck in such situations though :) There are hundreds ways to go up that hill the other way without locking the diff :)

The video is just to show how the diff works. I know the guy who uploaded it and he is nothing to do with the automotion market.

But in my case, when got stuck in grass pluss mud, the terrain was virtually flat, no slope, but was raining a lot. I think thats no a very rare sitiation.

Before delving too deeply into 4MOTION, understand that there are two different versions, one for VW models equipped with longitudinal drivetrains, such as the Phaeton and Touareg, and another for those VW models with transverse engines, including Jetta and Passat and T5. Phaeton and Touareg models use a Torsen center differential to control and deliver power to all four wheels. However, the transverse drivers are equipped with a high-performance Haldex clutch at the rear axle to accomplish the same task. And it is the latter system that we will concentrate on here. This is actually the second-generation 4MOTION; an earlier version was introduced on the Golf in some markets (but not the U.S.) in 1998. This new-generation all-wheel-drive system has been improved in many aspects. For example, the Haldex clutch unit mounted directly on the rear axle is now significantly more compact.

The most important technical element of 4MOTION is the latest generation wet-running (oil bath) Haldex multi-disc clutch. Compared to a straightforward mechanical Torsen® differential, the Haldex unit offers the significant advantage that it can be electronically controlled. As a result, it integrates perfectly with the Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), traction control Anti-Slip Regulation (ASR), the Electronic Differential Lock (EDL), and the Electronic Stabilization Program (ESP).

As soon as there’s any difference in the rotation speeds of the front and rear axles, two pumps located within the multi-disc clutch are activated. These build up pressure in the transmission unit and thereby “link together” the two axles. They only take effect when the input and output shafts of the transmission unit are no longer turning at the same speed because only then is torque splitting necessary.

Altering the pressure exerted on the clutch discs can vary the amount of torque transmitted. This makes it possible to control the power flow between the front and rear wheels. The transmission unit performs infinitely variable torque control from zero up to full transmission – a 50:50 split of the propulsion power between the front and rear wheels.

When the car is driving straight ahead and there’s no difference in grip between the wheels, 90 percent of the power is sent to the front axle and 10 percent to the rear. The only thing the driver really notices is that any VW model equipped with 4MOTION retains neutral handling characteristics and stays on course in practically any situation.

The Haldex coupling is mounted on the rear axle differential and is driven by the drive shaft. The electronic control unit for the Haldex clutch unit gets all the important drive and engine information via the CAN (Controller Area Network) bus. This includes signals from the wheel sensors, the ABS and ESP as well as information about the accelerator pedal position and engine revs. This data provides the engine control module with all the information it needs on road speed, cornering, coasting or traction mode, allowing the system to continually monitor and regulate the level of hydraulic pressure to respond optimally to any driving condition.

Commands from the electronic control unit are carried out very rapidly by the Haldex unit. Full pressure is applied after a rotation angle of only 45 degrees of the first revolution after the Haldex receives an electronic signal. This generates the corresponding torque at the rear axle.

What about side-to-side slippage? This is when the Electronic Differential Lock comes into action to control traction. Think of this as ABS in reverse because EDL uses the same sensors and components as the ABS but to control “acceleration” instead of “braking” slip.

The speed sensors at each wheel continually send information to the ABS control module. When there is a difference in wheel speeds, the EDL function applies the brakes to the wheel that is spinning to control slip. When brakes are applied to the wheel that is spinning, power will automatically be sent through the differential to the wheel that has traction. For example, if the vehicle is on a patch of ice and only one wheel has traction, EDL will pump the brakes of the three wheels that are spinning.

Some of the system’s important characteristics include compatibility with different size tires, quick response and no strain on the multi-plate clutch when parking and maneuvering.

Traction off the line is aided by the Haldex coupling, which directs power to the rear wheels when it detects the front pair slipping.

You’ll also experience the benefits of 4MOTION the moment you attempt to accelerate on wet or slippery pavement. In a front-wheel-drive vehicle, the car will attempt to spin its front wheels. But before it can do this, the car’s traction control system will intervene, applying the brakes and adjusting the throttle opening. The net effect is that you’ll accelerate at a rather modest rate. 4MOTION response is decidedly different.

Transferring torque to those tires with the most traction results in dramatically quicker acceleration. The only time the traction control will intrude significantly is on an extremely slippery surface such as ice.

Drivers will really appreciate the precise manner in which a 4MOTION-equipped VW corners and steers. Torque steer is eliminated. Absolutely gone. The first time you accelerate hard through an uphill hairpin bend with a lot of steering cranked on and experience the ease with which the VW model grips the pavement. With 4MOTION, power can be transmitted variably to all four wheels using electronic control.
Well done. A comprehensive explanation. I was a mechanic a hundred years ago and found this very informative. I’ve just placed an order for a man tge 4x4 with the optional diff lock running through an 8 speed auto box not a DDG which I thought they would have used. Regards

I also agree and for the extra cost it is worth the while even if only used once or twice in the life of the Cali. You save on time and cost on waiting for a recovery service.

I also agree and for the extra cost it is worth the while even if only used once or twice in the life of the Cali. You save on time and cost on waiting for a recovery service.
Chances of needing it are slim. Reports on here comparing 4 with 2 on winter Scandinavian roads and winter tyres. Both performed superbly. The extra cost iand reduced fuels economy is wasteful on a van imo.

I suppose you are right in one way or another, but then again having had a few instances of helping guys in soft sand even with 4 motion which were completely stuck, for me an extra £800 for the diff lock was a life saver. I have had two wheel drive also and have been ok within reason and keeping away from Sandy beaches. Now having had both, I still prefer the assurance of not being stuck in a remote area.

I suppose you are right in one way or another, but then again having had a few instances of helping guys in soft sand even with 4 motion which were completely stuck, for me an extra £800 for the diff lock was a life saver. I have had two wheel drive also and have been ok within reason and keeping away from Sandy beaches. Now having had both, I still prefer the assurance of not being stuck in a remote area.
biggest benefit I have found with the diff lock is engaging it before moving off when you know you may be stuck / in a sticky situation. Engaging the diff lock forces the haldex to engage and puts the van into 3 wheel drive so wheelspin on start doesn't happen. Without the diff lock the front wheels have to spin to engage the rear, which can kick in traction control and mean over-revving and wheel spin. Yes pay a small premium for fuel due to the 4motion but its minor as the van is mostly FWD.

Can probably go most places in FWD, certainly on the road I suspect it engages very rarely unless towing. I am sure a lot of people buy 4motion for bragging rights but hey, each to their own.

I have a French spec California 4MO with the diff block option received new in September.

looking at the main thread and some of the responses, let me give you a driver/owner perspective on how I find it differs from the 2WD and the added advantages of the optional diff lock.

In my opinion the 4MO excels when driving in heavy rain, on forest tracks, and keeping the vehicle stuck to the road on fast corners. Since buying my first 4WD Toyota 12 years ago, I won’t buy any 2WD vehicle since.

For the diff block, despite the 4MO, I got bogged down on a muddy forest track path during out holidays. I switched on the diff lock, and that was that, we were out of trouble.

So to resume, 4MO equals super safe driving in heavy rain, and access to tricky forest tracks for off the beaten track camping. Add the diff lock and you have the extra flexibility to ´get out of trouble’ in a lot of bogged down scenarios.

for me 4Motion was a mandatory part of my order.

Back