Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4Motion - How many ABS sensors?

kurienp

kurienp

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Any idea how many ABS sensors a 4Motion has. I would suspect - 4. Can anyone validate please?

Thanks,

Commonly the rear 2 fail rather than the front, because basically they are bathed in all the rubbish thrown up by the front wheels.
Hope yours are easily replaced, mine weren’t.
Thanks WG.

Also, I would've thought that all 4 sensors would be the same.

A search reveals two numbers - WHT 003856 and 003857. Any idea why the difference? It is either one set for the front or the rear ... or right or left.

Thanks WG.

A search reveals two numbers - WHT 003856 and 003857. Any idea why the difference? It is either one set for the front or the rear ... or right or left.
It could be left front/right rear, right front/left rear.
Don't know for sure, as I haven't had the need to replace mine yet.

Thanks WG.

One is left hand side, one is right hand side.

Thanks WG.

I have just replaced 3 - two rears and one front in the last month.

The sensors are handed side to side due to the connector orientation. All cars with DSC/ABS have one sensor per wheel as a minimum, some cars have two per wheel.

Because of the bolt hole and angle of the sensor. Dont bother with VW's. Was quoted £95 a pop, which for what they are, is a total rip off.

Thank you all.

Yep, Euro carparts list them very clearly as - front and rear left and front and rear right.

So just need to look at right and left when ordering.

Available on eBay for as less as 12 quid a pop or ecp at circa 40 .. and as others say - from VW at 95 !

Now to order and then plan a weekend to replace.

Also thinking - how about just open and clean them? But even then, good to have a set on hand - in case they break (which they most probably will)

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Thank you all.

Yep, Euro carparts list them very clearly as - front and rear left and front and rear right.

So just need to look at right and left when ordering.

Available on eBay for as less as 12 quid a pop or ecp at circa 40 .. and as others say - from VW at 95 !

Now to order and then plan a weekend to replace.

Also thinking - how about just open and clean them? But even then, good to have a set on hand - in case they break (which they most probably will)

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Better to just replace the faulty one. If you clean them, fault code will most likely reappear a few days later.

Best kept secret is the suppliers to VW.....and the mark up VW enjoy.

Drilled out many bolts in my time (owned a Landrover)....... but I can't see how a plastic ABS unit can seize... the 8mm bolt yes.... it can break and then thats a pain.....one of the reason why I bought one for my LR when I changed the front hubs. A lot thinner than the VW ones and prone to breaking

Its when you want the bolt to snap you know things are bad ....

Drilled out many bolts in my time (owned a Landrover)....... but I can't see how a plastic ABS unit can seize...
Well, in fact it's the metal around the sensor that starts to rust. When metal rusts, it swells, making the plastic seize.
You can slow down the process of seizing by putting some grease on the other end of the sensor (not the tip, but the side the bolt is).

Back