Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fault Code 01316 - ABS Control Module

bassbikemike

bassbikemike

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174 4Motion
Help!

My Cali has just developed a 01316 fault on the ABS Control Module. The ABS and ESP lights are showing on the dash.

Ross-Tech wiki has the following:

I'm not sure whether this is a connection/cabling issue or a problem with the ABS Control Module itself...? Or a blown fuse...?

And where is the ABS Control Module located on a 2006 T5 California SE 4Motion?

Does anyone have any experience of this fault and potential fixes please??

Planning a trip to the Cairngorms later in the week and would really like my ABS and ESP to be functioning correctly and I think this may all be interrelated with the EDL and 4Motion electronics, which I'd also like to be functioning correctly, given my destination!

I have searched the forums and the web and haven't found anything terribly helpful on this one so far.

I've seen numerous T5 vans having a problem with the wiring breaking from the n/s wheel up to inside the van.

Also saw this on Youtube relating to VW's which is probably not related but-

I've seen numerous T5 vans having a problem with the wiring breaking from the n/s wheel up to inside the van.
Is that front n/s wheel or rear?

Also, does this problem result in the 01316 fault code?

Thanks

Thanks
Not as far as seen (codes) but from what I've seen on Forums the rear n/s wiring can give intermittent fault indications and misleading codes.

Just thought it may be worth a visual check as you have little time before the trip.

Thanks
This thread in the T4/5 forum might help.

Like with everything it’s best to check the easiest and cheapest things first. Just because Joe blogs had to replace his ABS unit doesn’t mean you will have to. Sometimes it takes ages before you find the fault but never assume it’s the most expensive part that’s gone kaput. A code reader is basically the same whether it’s £25 or £2000. If a VW main dealer can’t diagnose it what chance have you got only that you don’t charge yourself £100 an hour. Another thing is you can’t judge what happens in a T5 transporter works van compared to a VW T5 California. Well not unless you load it full to the gunnels with cement and bricks everyday and do 50,000 k miles a year. Start with the fuses, then the sensors and so on.

I have finally fixed the ABS fault I had, just before the MOT is due!! :bananadance2

So, I thought I'd close it off with a little update.

The fault was at the offside rear speed sensor. However the fix itself was probably atypical and not necessarily that useful to others.

Some of the info below will be very useful to other Cali owners though...
  • Initially after checking the cabling and thinking it was ok, I replaced the speed sensor with a Pagid speed sensor from Eurocarparts £29.89 - a fraction of the £80 or so +VAT for the genuine part from the VW Van Centre.
  • The normal way to get the sensor out is to remove the caliper, caliper carrier and disc, but the 21mm carrier bolts would not free despite using a long lever, plus-gas, hammer etc etc!! :mad:
  • This video is quite useful.
    It's a Golf IV but very similar process and shows how difficult it is to get the sensors themselves out.
  • In my case, not being able to remove the disc due to the stuck caliper carrier, I found that once the protruding part of the sensor had snapped off, I could get my dremel with a grinding bit in behind the disc and ground away the plastic and wire coil core of the sensor from the top, until the aperture was clear for the new sensor to slot in. Be very careful if you do this not to grind past the end of the sensor and damage the magnetic arrangement around the hub/axle. The sensor uses this to detect motion on the axle.
  • When I realised the new sensor hadn't cleared the code I looked again at the cabling. I'd already discovered that the brown supply cable to the offside rear sensor had already been repaired and completely bypassed - all the way from the rear wheel arch to the engine bay/ABS Control Module, prior to my ownership. I wasn't able to test the continuity but thought this replacement cable was ok...
  • Related to the above, the cabling fix described here https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/threads/t5-rear-abs-sensor-wiring-fault-repaired.1796789/ is actually not plausible on a Cali with rear climate control as the rigid refrigerant pipes route right over the ABS cable grommet behind the wheel arch on the driver's side, so it's impossible to free the loom sufficiently to pull it out through the rear light grommet aperture...! This would explain why the prior fix had involved routing a completely new cable from the sensor to the ABS Control Module.
  • As regards the actual fix, when I traced a little of the route of the replacement cable I found a break in it... Repaired it and cleared the faults!
  • Finally, finding the exact fault on my diagnostics device (an OBD Eleven https://obdeleven.com/en/) wasn't entirely obvious... The 01316 fault was the only fault to display after a normal DTC scan, was within the "All Wheel Control" module and read "01316 - Brake control module Please read DTC static". When I went into the "Brakes" module and looked into the "Faults" section, it then started to perform a scan of the ABS Control Module itself I think, which then revealed "00287 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Right (G44): Electrical Fault in Circuit"
Thanks to those on this thread, who started to point me in the right direction and start eliminating things. Hopefully a few of my findings will be of help to others on the forum.

Back