Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

5.1 to 6 - worthwhile?

nezzler

nezzler

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Just wondered if anyone has had a T6 delivered after having a T5.1 and if the experience was worthwhile?

Could change but still not totally convinced. Even investigated the Marco Polo option (took a break from the Christmas markets in Cologne to have a quick look) and whilst it looks fantastic with the dual electric back seats, interior etc.... The table/deckchairs solution simply takes up too much boot space.

Existing not used as a main car so the driving experience doesn't concern me too much.

It's all about the money.....
If i had the cash for it under my pillow i would change,
in my case ....no

Better wait for he next (total)upgrade if you got a recent T5 , imo.
But the early T5 owners having a 10 year Cali ...could work for them.
All personal favors , i am happy with my 2012 SE ,would be happy with a T6 also but not at the moment.

Acually don't have knowledge off people on here who did the makeover ....anyone?

If money was no issue ---but it is all about the money given we paid 44K in 2012 (97miles on clock) a almost same spec van T6 has jumped in price so much in price since 2012 even with good value in my current Cali the differnce would be the cost of a new small car. For us I hope we will always own a camper van but in may be another 3 years before we upgrade. plenty of life in the old van yet

Last edited:
If money was no issue ---but it is all about the money given we paid 44K for 2012 (97miles on clock) a almost same spec van T6 has jumped in price so much in price since 2012 even with good value in my current Cali the differnce would be the cost of a new small car. For us I hope we will always own a camper van but in may be another 3 years before we upgrade. plenty of life in the old van yet
Same here - seems incredible now but we paid £35.5k for our ex demo 174 auto se with pretty much everything except sat nav back in 2009. Probably £50k now!

Sent from my Galaxy S6

True. You can specify with a lot more options these days though.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Same here - seems incredible now but we paid £35.5k for our ex demo 174 auto se with pretty much everything except sat nav back in 2009. Probably £50k now!

Sent from my Galaxy S6

That's our issue too, a 6m old 2011 140 se demo at 39.2k. Realise there's a lot more extras available but none that make it a definite buy. In some respects it's great that the camper interior hasn't changed for a T5 owner perspective, however if the back seat could be split then that view might have been different.

Looks like I'll be keeping candy unless ex demos start appearing at a v. good price.....

Found pretty nicely packed T5 demo SE for sale . Went for a test drive and was surrpized how different it felt after the T6 multivan. Same twin turbo engine was way louder making weird noises. Not sure if there was a problem with engine but it had just 5k km on it.
Tested T6 multivan again today. And it proved my observations. T6 rides way more comfortable and quieter.
You don't hear engine at all.

I would like to be placing an oder for a T6 by July ....

but...

I know this sounds like the sort of treachery that should see me hung from the yard-arm, or at least the awning rail...

I want to see a Marco Polo in the flesh first.

Main reason?

A dealer who appreciates me spending £60k and not one who can't even bother cleaning the thing when it's been in their workshop for four weeks.

Some things leave a bad taste in the mouth that just will not go away.

Could have considered marco polo as well. But they have no kitchen "beach" version with ugly interior and no options to upgrade it.

The Marco Polo caught my interest, but then I saw what they looked like. As superficial as this may sound and as conservatively boxy as the T6 may be, I find the Marco Polo uncomfortable on the eye. It has an element of 'hearse' to the back end. It also feels a little too upmarket for a camper, although I am sure there are many who would consider that heresy.

The Marco Polo caught my interest, but then I saw what they looked like. As superficial as this may sound and as conservatively boxy as the T6 may be, I find the Marco Polo uncomfortable on the eye. It has an element of 'hearse' to the back end. It also feels a little too upmarket for a camper, although I am sure there are many who would consider that heresy.
Very interesting but I get your drift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could have considered marco polo as well. But they have no kitchen "beach" version with ugly interior and no options to upgrade it.
This was what struck me, too. If you want the fully loaded version, then happy days: nice dash, cool interior, etc. However, I don't want a fully loaded camper for everyday use.
BUT, if you go for the Beach equivalent, the Activity, the interior is horrible, you get curtains instead of blinds and considerably less options. Crazy!

I wish I hadn't looked...

On the upsides, I'm happy I've got a T6 on the way and made the right decision. :thumb

I wish I hadn't looked...

On the upsides, I'm happy I've got a T6 on the way and made the right decision. :thumb

I think you are right. The VW looks and feels more "fit for purpose" and I am still over the moon with mine.

Looks like a Hyundai from the outside (nothing against Hyundai btw)....

I really don't like the polo curtains, and to executive for me.
I am over the moon with my T5.
The 10k I saved over a T 6 will pay for a lot of holidays, and I got an extra 6 months of holidays as I didn't have to wait..
I do also worry there will be some glitches with the T6, as it is so new. There seem to have been plenty with the T5, that have been slowly ironed out.
AND, it might not have the special Cali line on the passenger pillar!

I really don't like the polo curtains, and to executive for me.
I am over the moon with my T5.
The 10k I saved over a T 6 will pay for a lot of holidays, and I got an extra 6 months of holidays as I didn't have to wait..
I do also worry there will be some glitches with the T6, as it is so new. There seem to have been plenty with the T5, that have been slowly ironed out.
AND, it might not have the special Cali line on the passenger pillar!

I feel quite confident about the T6. It is after all an evolved T5 and as the later t5's seem to have a lot of problems resolved so the T6 should continue that progress.

Hopefully post emissionsgate VAG might have a cultural shift away from arrogance and towards respect for it's customers that may just filter down to some of those people we call dealers.

Having said that, my last service was at a dealers that were very professional indeed. I even had my vehicle cleaned ... progress!

I consider the T6, in Software parlance, as an Update rather than an Upgrade.
If you have an early T5.1 then maybe worth considering but if not then possibly worth waiting for the Upgrade T7.
Ideally some form of Electric Hybrid. Then you could get rid of the separate leisure batteries and possibly even the Gas cooking system and go over to Induction. With modern materials etc: you could have innovative design. Electric Hybrid would give lower road taxes, lower congestion charges and access to the growing number of LEZ's that are contemplated.
A bit like going from Windows XP to Windows 10.:thumb

Just my personal opinion and wish list.:)

I have an early T5.1 SE, just over 30K on the clock. It remains in fabulous condition, starts, stops and generally does everything I could want of a camper van. The interior is identical to the T6 apart from a few LED's, so I cannot personally see any value in spending circa another £20k to change to what offers nothing more other than what I accept will be a more refined driving experience. I would also be even more paranoid about where I park etc. than I am already.
For me to want to upgrade, there needs to be a step change, both in terms of the base vehicle itself (favour hybrid technology) and the camper part. Let's hope the T7 will deliver.

I do indeed consider that hearsey

Ideally some form of Electric Hybrid. Then you could get rid of the separate leisure batteries and possibly even the Gas cooking system and go over to Induction. With modern materials etc: you could have innovative design. Electric Hybrid would give lower road taxes, lower congestion charges and access to the growing number of LEZ's that are contemplated.

I can imagine some shocking problems appearing with the first vehicles.... :shocked

I feel quite confident about the T6. It is after all an evolved T5 and as the later t5's seem to have a lot of problems resolved so the T6 should continue that progress.
Not sure about that, they can't resolve a loose brake light.

We werent convinced about changing our 2012 for a T6 but having seen a couple in the flesh , the spec is now in progress - but still cannot pay £1400 for a satnav !!
dave and lisa

Back