Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

I want to be convinced to buy a Cali - help requested

Hear Hear. :goodone

Hi - I started on the conversion route as I would love to own a VW camper but then became a Cali convert. However after reading the thread on the roofs I am considering a conversion again! Lol. Does anyone else feel the same? :?

yes, we are also going for a conversion now as we could not live with this roof problem, there is very little to go wrong with a Reimo roof.

True, very little to go wrong with the roof, having the whole roof replace by fibreglass will solve that problem. However, I couldn't find any converter that could provide the base vehicle I wanted and when pricing it, buying a new van to my spec and a conversion to the same spec as a California with a guaranteed 3 year vehicle warranty and 3 year conversion warranty, forget it.
The corrosion IS NOT rust, but bimetallic corrosion well known in the Land Rover Defender fraternity, for the last 60+ years. They cope, and I will as well because there is absolutely no conversion that can compare with the California as the ultimate Campervan. :hello

I've not even checked my roof :oops:

As many have said, the vehicle will not blow up with it and the dealer did not offer me any discount to be without it so therefore at present it is not an issue to worry me.

When it next goes in for service / repair / to have more nice bits added then I will ask the service people to have a look for me and if any found to then progress the appropriate claim for me.

With total credit to members of this forum it is no longer a real issue for thanks to those members who clawed, scratched and fought with VW to get it properly recognised there is now a well-beaten path to have it remedied.

To all those wanting a Marco Polo, and saying what a crap vehicle the Cali is in comparison, we don't know yet if the MP will have similar issues. At least the Cali is a known quantity with known fixes and that alone for me would convince me to buy one.

Apart from that, I would want a VW, nothing came close to it at the NEC as a base vehicle even if it is ten years old, all the conversions I saw had some pro's but lots of con's compared to the Cali.

I have to say, now almost into my second glorious year ownership, never in the field of human recreation has so much been enjoyed by so many in something so little.

We'd fallen out of love with our Cali Beach with the roof problems and a couple of bad camping experiences (not the Cali's fault - child with scarlet fever!). Just on our way home now from our farewell trip to Germany. Had a fantastic time and already discussing where to go for Easter. The Cali is going to stay. Yes she has her problems but she is a fantastic family car, large item transporter, and camper van. She fits in the drive, she is easy to turn around when you take a wrong turn, the kids love her and so do we again!

Hi GrannyJen - you do make me larf and talk so much sense! :clap Back to the Cali it is then. Off to York/Peterborough next week to test drive. :oops: I also think it is the coolest looking vehicle on the planet! :cool:

Hi Dood, makes sense - the roof will be sorted by VW under warranty and you will always get a good resale market. :thumb

larrylamb said:
Hi Dood, makes sense - the roof will be sorted by VW under warranty and you will always get a good resale market. :thumb
Hi Dood
I bought my first Cali from Listers Worcester and my second from Leicester However I only go to Listers of Coventry absolutely first class service I will not go anywhere else------ 57 miles !! just down the road, just love driving it. Lost count of how many VW's I have had
Richard

After looking at (a very nice) Westafalia conversion today it highlighted a couple things I'd not appreciated before. My opinion of most of the conversions I've seen from Bilbo et al is not good and whilst many of us agree the furniture in our Cali's is fragile it has nothing to worry about when compared to the B&Q / MFI efforts of converters.

So what I discovered today was that because these conversions are built in panel van chassis they are missing things such as soft close side and rear door as well as a CAT 1 alarm with the ability to disable the volumetric sensors (little button in drivers door pillar) climate control is unlikely to be available. Heated washer jets?

All small things but should be factored in.

Thankyou all again for your help. I am learning so much from this forum. Your certainly a helpful bunch! :lol:

Stu said:
So what I discovered today was that because these conversions are built in panel van chassis they are missing things such as soft close side and rear door as well as a CAT 1 alarm with the ability to disable the volumetric sensors (little button in drivers door pillar) climate control is unlikely to be available. Heated washer jets?

All small things but should be factored in.

Not to mention that very clever net thingy used for drying "small :oops: " items of laundry on.

"Safety net" I think it's called.

Hi
Sitting here reading the posts again!!!
Just going to the pub for a meal and a pint. So pressed the remote heater button so the cali will be nice and warm in a few minutes. :D I leave it on when in the pub :cool:
Get it bought!!