Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Extra occasional bed Grand Cali 680

M

MarcelShad

Vehicle
Looking to buy
We’re thinking of buying a Grand Cali and would prefer the larger bed in the 680. However, we would occasionally have a 3rd (small) person with us.
Any thoughts? Camp bed? Blow-up mattress? Cabbunk?
Many vans seem to have an occasional bed made from a swivelled front seat & the rear seats, but not it seems the GC

I thought that the Grand California have a small (tots) bed above the driver/passenger seats. Certainly not big enough for an adult. And with a built in ladder rail in the side cabinet.

I thought that the Grand California have a small (tots) bed above the driver/passenger seats. Certainly not big enough for an adult. And with a built in ladder rail in the side cabinet.
Only available as an option on the 600, not available on the 680.

We have a toddler in our 680. Made a buddy box for between front seats which we then lay a mattress over and her cot. The box also allows her to sit on her bumbo between us when parked up. The box is also wide enough to fill between front n back seats when she gets bigger.

F51DA1CE-3A8C-49EA-9005-EE14F3680150.jpeg

861A464B-55F3-4A4D-A9A9-3B5E48C831A4.jpeg

Very clever, but I don’t think my mother-in-law will fit even though she is only 4’11”

Mattress full width would do it. That’s about 1.6m. Alternatively drop the table put foam on it to level out front and back seats again gets about 1.6-1.7m

Hi, we have been seriously looking at the Sven Hedin, but have a 16 year old as well. Really like the matress idea. Have you tried it? How are you getting on with the Sven?

Hi, we have been seriously looking at the Sven Hedin, but have a 16 year old as well. Really like the matress idea. Have you tried it? How are you getting on with the Sven?

Another option would be to make a bed in the corridor under the main bed. My son (teenager) likes the idea of sleeping there, like in a little hut. You'd have to somehow level out the space infant and behind the rear axle. I thought either two pieces of firm foam or some sort of a nifty DIY slat system could do the trick, with a thinner inflatable camping mattress on top. We haven't tried it yet, 680 newbies since May, but definitely will, for those days when three of us are travelling and we don't want to set up the drive away awning tent for the night. That way the front area of the van stays clear for anyone who wants to get up early, make coffee and use the seating for example.

IMG_6847.JPG

We’re thinking of buying a Grand Cali and would prefer the larger bed in the 680. However, we would occasionally have a 3rd (small) person with us.
Any thoughts? Camp bed? Blow-up mattress? Cabbunk?
Many vans seem to have an occasional bed made from a swivelled front seat & the rear seats, but not it seems the GC

4C76C73A-B17F-4104-A8F8-5B3E0EA84306.jpeg

I have had same thought. Was thinking custom inflateable ottaman/cube to fit between front and back seats at the right height then single mattress like a raskalf across bench seat + drivers seat diagonally like the RP Rebellion which gives plenty of room. Inflateable as minimal packing size.

Inseee you can get an off the shelf ottaman from decathlon but only 37cm high and I’ve not measured the seat height but imagine it’s higher.

Hi we have just purchased a cab bed from BREMER SITZBEZÜGE we are really happy with it. We where thinking of making our own but for 199 eur we did not think it was worth the hassle.
They have a 5% discount code too at the moment.

I have created a bed from the bench seat and passenger seat, plus converted the table to drop down in between them.

You could go further and shape the cushion too, but I prefer it like this as you can then use it on top of the bench whilst travelling for added comfort.

F2B0CD53-C269-46D3-9F6F-3AC171601F2E.jpeg

90C84821-4B9A-4060-BF61-74E5700E3B18.jpeg

Last edited:
Back