Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

50mpg

Never understood the obsession with mpg, once you own the vehicle in question. It'll use whatever it uses and you have to fill it up when it's empty.

Ye don't fatten yon pig by weighing 'un, young-un.
:Grin
In 30 + years of owning vehicles we’ve always taken notice of mpg. Mostly out of pure interest but also as once you know your average mpg any significant change may possibly be an indicator of an upcoming issue.

With modern vehicles I'd pay much more attention to the ECU microprocessor and any warnings it throws from its million+ lines of code continuously analysing dozens of sensors including:
- Fuel flow
- Air mass flow
- Manifold pressure
- Intake air temp
- Oxygen level
- Throttle position
- Crankshaft speed
- Whether car is connected to an emissions test rig (VW special option).

And with older cars... well all I can say is in 40+ years I've never detected a fault by monitoring fuel consumption and spotting any changes. Clattering noises from the front, smoke in the real view mirror, pool of oil spreading gently over the road, yes. ;)

The ECU didn’t pick up a leaky EGR: increased fuel consumption alerted me to some issue or another after two refuels.

The fact that I initially blamed a switch from 16” to 17” wheels was entirely due to my own ignorance.

In 30 + years of owning vehicles we’ve always taken notice of mpg. Mostly out of pure interest but also as once you know your average mpg any significant change may possibly be an indicator of an upcoming issue.
Same here but in 55 years of owning bikes and cars fuel consumption has been a major factor in knowing if the vehicle is running ok..ECU ? They didn’t have ECUs In ford 105e’s, Zephyr or split screen combi vans...And as far as a pool of oil, if you saw Oil under the car it meant it was likely there was still some in there if the oil light wasn’t on.. I’ve had cars with fuel consumptions of anywhere between 14mpg to 75mpg....

As opposed to temperature?????

I did once get a warm blast up my right leg and was convinced that the parking heater was stuck on on.

After booking it in for a service I found the fault lay with little fingers fiddling with the dual climate controls!

But I guess a warm blast up the right leg is not the sort of temperature you’re referring to.

Thanks for the heads up on the app Amarillo - I'll check that out.

I had an a T2 and it would leave an embarrassing puddle of oil behind... must say I prefer enjoying myself when I'm away in the California rather than spending time under a bus with spanners.

Mine uses about 2 tanks per day when going on holiday & a tank full every 6 weeks when not. Thats about as accurate a record as I keep.

The wife car is far more economical, just filled it up tonight for the first time since February, I suspect more evaporated than was used.

This time last year I was doing 30,000 miles per year 25k of which was for work, change of contracts + some bug going round means this year I might just manage 5000 miles of which 2500 was Spain & back.

Had a run through the North York Moors of around 90 minutes and nursed the gearbox of our California (150hp manual) in variable traffic but mostly in the 40- 60mph zone, certainly not hanging about - and managed to return of over 50mpg on the computer - Ok I know that the computers are not perfect at fuel consumption but they do give a guideline. Didn't hold up any traffic either...

So

lets have some mpg stories!
Certainly the most accurate way of measuring fuel consumption is 'brim to brim'. Trip computers are generally about 10% generous. They are not subject to the same homologation regulations on accuracy as say speedos. I improved the fuel consumption on my T5 Cali (DSG) by about 5 mpg when I fitted a tuning chip. I reckon it paid for itself within about 4 months (this was when the fuel was a bit more expensive).

Like Amarillo I use an app, but one called spritmonitor. Because it's German I think it has more users if you want to compare with others. I entered my DSG and specific engine details into the general VW Transporter categories, which includes Multivans, Caravelles etc. The very best average Screenshot_20200919-172400.pngconsumption is only about 40mpg. I often get more than this on the computer but like Tom find it very optimistic.

We have a 180PS DSG 4WD(2014SE California) and at a steady 65 on the motorway we have managed 43/44 fairly regularly.

Back from Briare (France) today.
Taken the D-roads, no highway untill Senlis. Then the A1 to Belgium.
Before entering the highway, I was at 5,8 liter/100 km (48,7mpg).
Now back home, a 500 km drive, I am stranded at 6,3 liter/100 km (44,83mpg).
Not bad. Topping all the maximum speed limits, except on the highway (110km/h).
Brim to brim will be a bit more than 6,3 liter/100 km.

My all total (started counting at 83000 km, now I have over 150000 km) is up to 7,7 liter/100 km. Exactly what the VW brochure states. And I am the first off the green lights. Manual, 140hp, cruise control.

I think the 150 DSG, loaded up with people kit and bikes, with hardly optimum aerodynamics, is a great performer at almost 40 average. I am very satisfied with it's efficiency and I would say it is the most impressive vehicle I have owned in this regard. That engine and gearbox is a thing of wonder.

There is a difference between Observing and Obsession with regards to MPG.
As long as mine is in the ballpark I just drive and fill.

That’s my thinking too.
Like @Amarillo I’ve been using the Road Trip app for the last couple of years on his recommendation.
It’s nice to track and if MPG fell off a cliff, I would suspect a serious issue.

Magic number for me is 30MPG.

Compared to others, I must really like the fun pedal...

4B12E7E2-D8F2-4F51-82BC-E1DE4291AC60.png

That’s my thinking too.
Like @Amarillo I’ve been using the Road Trip app for the last couple of years on his recommendation.
It’s nice to track and if MPG fell off a cliff, I would suspect a serious issue.

Magic number for me is 30MPG.

Compared to others, I must really like the fun pedal...

View attachment 66541
That's what it's there for.:Stig

I’m finding the MFD very accurate in my 2006 T5. The T6 I ran was 10% too flattering. The T5.1s were somewhere in between the two. So it looks like VW knew exactly how to measure consumption accurately, but now don’t.

I'm bored!!!!! Fill it, drive it & enjoy it.

I’m finding the MFD very accurate in my 2006 T5. The T6 I ran was 10% too flattering. The T5.1s were somewhere in between the two. So it looks like VW knew exactly how to measure consumption accurately, but now don’t.

I’ve just had my second reading where brim to brim was lower than the MFD. BUT... I filled using the BP payment app and the pump cut out at £100, so I didn’t actually brim the tank!

Had a 'just drive it' weekend in the Dales - and we had an appointment to keep in Whitby today so didn't hang about either... still returning 45mpg. Can't use 'tank to tank' as the heater had to be used in a windy Askrigg... So yes - just fill it and enjoy it - but I enjoy it more knowing that's its pretty frugal!

Had a 'just drive it' weekend in the Dales - and we had an appointment to keep in Whitby today so didn't hang about either... still returning 45mpg. Can't use 'tank to tank' as the heater had to be used in a windy Askrigg... So yes - just fill it and enjoy it - but I enjoy it more knowing that's its pretty frugal!
Jeez, that's good mpg, i'm always on 30mpg according to the MILF

Jeez, that's good mpg, i'm always on 30mpg according to the MILF
What does she know about that?

And BTW, do you use imperial mpg or US mpg?
7,8 liter/100 km I can believe. (US)
9,42 liter/100 km I can also believe (imp.), but then you live in Germany with the Autobahn....

Back