Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

6'6"

Ambler

Ambler

VIP Member
I drove down a road in the Lakes today with a 6'6" width restriction.
I met a car whose driver seemed to think my vehicle was too wide and over this width.

The Cali width excluding mirrors is under, but over if you include them.

What are your thoughts?

If you've not bashed the sides then you are fine.

The cali trackwidth is 1.9m, the mirrors can be folded in, you are less than the prohibited width.

Would he have been so irate if you were in Range Rover?

Last edited:
I suppose the motorway roadworks (outside lane often has 6'6" restriction) is where it matters.

My son is 6ft 6 could l could get him to lay in front of the van to check, you were fine. Expect he also thought a women should not be driving such a wide vehicle either. +1 for visiting intresting places in a camper van

I agree. I have never come across a width restriction that was exactly as indicated. We have 2 near us that both state 6'6". One is 8' at narrowest and the other is 7'9".
Don't forget you can fold the mirrors in which reduces the overall width by about 6".
Also the width restriction might be related to length of vehicle on a bend.
Just proceed cautiously.

I drove down a road in the Lakes today with a 6'6" width restriction.
I met a car whose driver seemed to think my vehicle was too wide and over this width.

The Cali width excluding mirrors is under, but over if you include them.

What are your thoughts?

The car driver was wrong, from my recollection the mirrors don't count.

I think tell tell the other driver to mind their own business and get a life for goodness sake!!

However mistakes could be costly....see my post about £6000 worth of repairs for brushing against a bollard at 5 miles an hour in a car park!! I drive the long way round and will be far more cautious in the future.

The only trouble with driving the long way around is you can miss something or there is not a long way around. Last summer our Scotland holiday West coast tour took in many dead end roads single lane with passing places ( & at times lack of them) Any other motorised home would have been a no go vehicle. I feel there are more hazardous situations in town centres and supermarket car parks.

Back