Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

7 months and 8K KM later our brand new T6.1 Cali is being toed :(

What you describe sounds like the coolant heater that is diesel powered like the auxiliary heater but for the engine. It runs automatically when below 5degres.
very smelly and can smoke the first few times then it improves.
thats exactly what happened to me. New van and it was 4C. When i stopped at lights there was some smoke coming from bottom of van. But it hasn't happened again. I was a bit worried but this comment has put my mind at rest a bit. Will keep an eye on it though.

thats exactly what happened to me. New van and it was 4C. When i stopped at lights there was some smoke coming from bottom of van. But it hasn't happened again. I was a bit worried but this comment has put my mind at rest a bit. Will keep an eye on it though.

yep, as I said earlier in this thread, it happened to me too. I searched on the forum and there were a number of examples of this happening so I ignored it and it went away after a couple more goes. Like the OP described. It looked very dramatic at the time.

This just happened to mine, there’s a huge split in the pipe and exhaust gas was billowing out of the engine bay. Just out of warranty too. Explains why I thought I could smell exhaust in the cabin though.

7B75792C-9591-4318-87A6-D53A044CF734.jpeg

This just happened to mine, there’s a huge split in the pipe and exhaust gas was billowing out of the engine bay. Just out of warranty too. Explains why I thought I could smell exhaust in the cabin though.

View attachment 70048
It’s hard to see the split but it’s all the way round that pipe. Apparently a common fault. My local garage fixed it for ~£300

Back