Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heavy white smoke.

Another mechanic is taking an approach I like. Dealing with codes first.
So we are changing EGR first.

Just an interesting fact.
He mentioned there are internal VW instructions to switch to G12 coolant after EGR replacement since they had too many cases of system rusting/leakage with G13.
Even shown me that information from VW internal website.
There was an instruction not to replace EGR if the error code goes alone without extra issues.

T6.0 owners are probably aware that they have weak EGR tube which can burn through with fumes escaping inside the vehicle. Was fixed in 6.1 but keep in mind and be ready to upgrade.

Found another garage where I can access it and get better insight on process.
Definitely changing EGR with cooler.
Inside is very messy with carbon, so have to change some extra parts as air valves got stuck.
Decided to change timing belt, as it has to be replaced in 20k and have to be removed for repairs anyway.20240704_144204.jpg

20240704_144222.jpg

20240704_144233.jpg

Thought the front end came off to provide better access....oddly had you mixed up with someone else (had to check PM) as I thought you had blanked the EGR.

The joys of modern diesels :rage:rage:rage:rage

How to take something so simple and turn it into such a complex nightmare in the interests of reducing emissions.
EV are simpler but the price is more than owning 2 diesels and repairing them each year.
I was upset about upcoming 3-4k pounds bill but then realized I have already made 180k km in 8 years with just minor issues.
I am tempted to just sell it but then again what to buy?
So far waiting for an electric E-Sprinter to build a camper myself.

Back