Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Title was a little misleading and I prefer the 996 ish vintage if I could have one.

the programme last night in the 9/11 was well done I thought and interesting to see how the day unfolded from different perspectives. I was in London on that day and watched the second plane on the news in real time. We cleared the office, there was a real sense that it may not be limited to the US.

Wonderful... Yours may I ask?
Yep. 1992 964 3.3L Turbo II 80,000km
I have to confess, I also have a 2009 997.1 4S

The 964 drives like a go-cart, the only 'driver assist' is ABS and a slip diff on the rear. I don't drive it in the wet, too easy to lose the rear end if you drop a gear at the wrong time and the turbo kicks in.

The 997 is the best car I've ever driven for response, road holding, etc. by a long way. I used to do 200km per day in it at one point and enjoyed every km.

964 is really 'old school' in the radio department...

IMG_20210722_092350.jpg

Title was a little misleading and I prefer the 996 ish vintage if I could have one.

the programme last night in the 9/11 was well done I thought and interesting to see how the day unfolded from different perspectives. I was in London on that day and watched the second plane on the news in real time. We cleared the office, there was a real sense that it may not be limited to the US.
I was in London too and I remember looking at the news feed on the TV in the pub in Kings Cross station on the way back thinking I was watching a re-run of Towering Inferno or some such movie. Unreal, but very real.

The 964 drives like a go-cart, the only 'driver assist' is ABS and a slip diff on the rear. I don't drive it in the wet, too easy to lose the rear end if you drop a gear at the wrong time and the turbo kicks in.

The 997 is the best car I've ever driven for response, road holding, etc. by a long way. I used to do 200km per day in it at one point and enjoyed every km.

View attachment 83857
TDK cassette. Proper Old School. What tunes have you recorded off the radio on that then? :thumb

TDK cassette. Proper Old School. What tunes have you recorded off the radio on that then? :thumb
Nope, that is a ACDC live in the US somewhere with Bon Scott singing, a bootleg that my driving instructor gave me when I was 17 (a long time ago) which has survived despite me having to re-splice it several times and it getting chewed up by various tape decks in my teens and beyond-years... I'm sure others here can relate to those desperate moments when a favourite tape was being mangled in front of your own ears...

We don't need to discuss that it's a great good looking car, even though every couple of years it will look "old" as a new model comes out. It's a wonderful machine.
I live in Germany and travel on the Autobahn 600mi every weekend. People moving very quickly from A to B including myself use german diesel 6cylinder estates. And some 4 cylinders too.
I drive a Q7, Porsches blow me past when I' already at 240km/h. I always catch them up eventually with my 2.7t Gvw ...
I’m afraid a Q7 wouldn’t make me smile or feel alive.

View attachment 83857
Awesome! If you're around Zurich and want to meet up let me know, me and a friend often make "coffee and a drive" meet-ups

Yes, driven it, 4 litre... it's nice, the gearing ratio is a bit off, you need to screw it to the max until the fun starts, except the fun stops because you're doing a 100 where you shouldn't be doing a 100...

the roof is fiddly, the sports seats look awesome (but being a big softy I'd save my back and wallet from those)

At almost the same price as a 911, I'd rather have a plain vanilla 911. But many will say that misses the point of the "real" Porsche experience, whatever that is.

More fun-per-pound in an original 986 is my conclusion !
Here’s my Poor mans Porsche.
No forced induction, no electric steering and very little software gremlins to contend with.
She’s 10 years old, I’ve owned for 7.5 years. Driven hard and never breaks down. Apart from once, broken clutch linkage.
But otherwise just lots of tyres and brakes.

Most reliable car I’ve ever owned.
I’m at point now, where it’s not worth selling, not much value in the car.
Still loads of fun, early Sunday mornings blasting through the Cotswolds…;)

Would love either a 911 turbo or 718 spyder. Maybe one day, if I can justify the outlay.
The sensible option is a 330d estate…

92D8F6D8-B01D-4494-8310-0886848C6092.jpeg

Here’s my Poor mans Porsche.
No forced induction, no electric steering and very little software gremlins to contend with.
She’s 10 years old, I’ve owned for 7.5 years. Driven hard and never breaks down. Apart from once, broken clutch linkage.
But otherwise just lots of tyres and brakes.

Most reliable car I’ve ever owned.
I’m at point now, where it’s not worth selling, not much value in the car.
Still loads of fun, early Sunday mornings blasting through the Cotswolds…;)

Would love either a 911 turbo or 718 spyder. Maybe one day, if I can justify the outlay.
The sensible option is a 330d estate…

View attachment 83858
Nice!

That poor man's Porsche stuff is a load of bullsh*t !

Anyone who says that is not a real petrolhead :)

I’ve owned 5 different varieties of 911 & used them as daily drivers. I got fed up with the more recent ones with not being able to drive them anywhere round here at a decent speed.
If I could have one back again it would be the 964 that I owned about 20 years ago. Enough performance without being silly. Superb build quality, sound from the air cooled flat six to die for, compact size & the earliest one I had with proper heating & aircon that was effective.

I’ve owned 5 different varieties of 911 & used them as daily drivers. I got fed up with the more recent ones with not being able to drive them anywhere round here at a decent speed.
If I could have one back again it would be the 964 that I owned about 20 years ago. Enough performance without being silly. Superb build quality, sound from the air cooled flat six to die for, compact size & the earliest one I had with proper heating & aircon that was effective.
What I miss the most is the initial growl you got when starting the engine in an enclosed space. That and driving it (sigh).

It’s was the howl from the engine & the fact that you could Rev up to the red line to hear it in more than just first gear in that age of car.
I also loved that the faster you went the quieter the engine sounded as you left the noise behind you.
On sensible sized tyres mine was extremely quiet up to about 140mph on the autobahn.

In contrast my 997.2 had deafening tyre noise at 70mph on the M1 I think the rears were something like 335 wide & you could only red line it in first gear without loosing your licence.

Lottery win & it would have to be a 964 turbo.

Took a wander around PistonTrader the other day. Wow. (Asking) prices have shot up!
Searching for a 993 C2S with a blown engine.

Sounds great! I’ve driven a caterham but the Atom was insane!
Was supposed to drive a GT40 but the chap driving before me snapped the gear lever off!!
Have a great time GG
And today the guy before me today knackered the clutch! I got swapped into a DB9.

Back