Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A big HELLO!

El Greco

El Greco

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I must start by thanking you all for your comments on the many threads on this site. These helped me to get a feel for the Cali experience to come and the options to choose and the discount one can expect.

For some three years now, I have been considering getting wheels to travel. It didn't take too long to decide that a T5 was the answer. After a couple of visits to the NEC I hired a Cali and took the wife along the south west coast for a week to see what the experience was like. The wife enjoyed it very much so the hunt was on for a suitable camper. I felt that a LWB conversion with a sliding seat was the ideal solution. This would have given us an extra 400mm that is very useful in a small van. I went on the hunt for a good convertor. After travelling 100s of miles visiting factories I came to the conclusion that the Cali could not be beaten even though it was on a SWB. One has to make compromises! Specifying a new van and having it converted is not for the faint hearted. Also the costs are similar to the Cali and not 'finished' to the same standard.

I have only been to two dealers to try and buy the Cali. The first dealer could not answer many of my questions. He was unfamiliar with quite a few of the options. For example, neither he nor their 'technical' team knew what servotronic speed sensitive power steering is and gave me a guess which was wrong. After a second visit I was ready to order. The configuration was finalised and I was presented with offer. I could believe my eyes that this was the list price. Then I couldn't believe my ears when he firmly told me that that is the price and proceeded to bulls**t that he can sell all the Calis he can get at list and that they are in short supply and that there an icon and ..... I stopped listening and politely left.

The second dealer was very knowledgeable and the two things he couldn't answer, he called VW so I knew I had the correct info. After a few minutes discussion, I was offered a discount that was greater than I expected. I am not the sort of person that messes others about so I placed the order.

It's 204 DSG Ocean with lots of options and delivery anticipated towards the end of May :)

Now just have to wait it out and in the meantime read and digest as much info as possible.

Again, thank you all for helping me get this far!

Congratulations on your order:thumb

And a big welcome....;)

A good dealer is worth their weight in gold :) Exciting but hard to wait. I only had to wait 2 weeks but it was a loooong wait :D

Welcome. So where will your first trip be?

Welcome. So where will your first trip be?
Thank you! Delivery is anticipated towards the end of May so there is plenty of time to make plans. I hope to spend time in the UK (south west) to get used to the Cali and the travelling etiquette and then hopefully to France in August for a couple of weeks. The beauty of the Cali, as you are very aware :), is that you don't have to plan!!! Well, That is how I hope to do it most of the time!

A good dealer is worth their weight in gold :) Exciting but hard to wait. I only had to wait 2 weeks but it was a loooong wait :D
I have little experience in dealing with VW Commercial as I indicated above. I am relaxed with the purchase side of things (Eurovans, Crawley were very good) but I am dreading having to sort out any issues that may arise and servicing based on the comments I have read :shocked. A bridge to be crossed but hopefully I will find somewhere reliable using members recommendations. Eurovans will be my first call I expect then I will see.

I got my SLI or order number today together with provisional build week 16 i.e. towards the end of April I think. I tried to use the VW tracker and it wouldn't recognise the 8 digit number. Can someone please post the link to the tracking page as the one I tried to use refers to 'cars'. Is there another for the commercial side?

Hate to burst your bubble but don't expect to see your Cali Iin may . We ordered on Dec 16th, was given build date of week 8 now moved to wk 16 if we are lucky ours is also a 204 DSG ocean. Well done though on making that great decision. We pondered for ages before taking the leap of faith.

:Nailbiting The dealer stated that once the build week was confirmed, although not guaranteed, it should be a very good guide. If it arrives during early June, it wont be a disaster. I will just delay my retirement and upset my co-workers!

Are you tracking your Cali on the VW site? If so, what is the url of the page you use?

:Nailbiting The dealer stated that once the build week was confirmed, although not guaranteed, it should be a very good guide. If it arrives during early June, it wont be a disaster. I will just delay my retirement and upset my co-workers!

Are you tracking your Cali on the VW site? If so, what is the url of the page you use?
The VW site you refer to only works for " cars ", not for Van based vehicles. There is no such facility for Van based vehicles.