Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A Bilstein Story. UnKomfortable read

s2bear

s2bear

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
May ‘22 - had Bilstein B14 Komforts installed (Hunter aligned etc)

Jan ‘23 - returned to installer to adjust UP as the rear had dropped noticeably since install.

Aug ‘24 - same thing again - noticeable drop since last adjustment and noticeable Neg Camber as a result which ruins tyres.

Result - There was only 5mm upwards adjustment remaining so that’s been maxed out but the setup has already completely sh*gged the NSR Tyre inside shoulder. That’s about 10k miles for the knackered tyre & 22k miles total on the coilovers.

The camber is less pronounced now even for that 5mm adjustment, but still visible.

The wear was exacerbated by the fact that I’d left my winter tyres on instead of changing to summers in May - I broke my hand with the power wrench back in December, didn’t realise so didn’t get it set, went snowboarding, leaned on it, now it’s wonky and painful so rather than revisit that I figured I was only going to be doing around 3k miles or less over summer and I could live with that - but the camber has been bothering me.

Outcome: supplying dealer is now liaising with Bilstein UK (who say this is not a common issue) and are pondering a solution.

This also supports [mention]sidepod [/mention] comment in an earlier thread about weighing the corners when setting up. Suspect NSR has been battered because of road camber AND that’s the Gas and Water corner (although most of the time I’m not loaded up)

Interesting things- with camping gear on board (driveaway awning , cadac, gas and all the little bits that we carry) but not luggage passengers or water, the rear axle was coming in at 1410kg with the rear bench forward and 1,440kg with it in the rearmost position. (1,560kg is rear axle max permitted weight)

So if anyone cares - moving the rear bench forwards so the back is level with the sliding door takes 30kg load off the rear axle.

I haven’t, as my children are light, but I can imagine it’s really easy to overload the rear axle if you add adults, water and, bikes to the towel holder!

Now I’m considering going back to standard suspension with maybe some 18” General Grabber AT3 for all year round as I’m not sure I can be *rsed with this anymore and that will allow me to focus 100% of my negativity towards the saggy roof issue but I probably won’t fit in the car park where I go snowboarding.

Thought this may be of interest to anyone considering B14 Komforts which, apart from this, have been ok. Will update the thread if Bilstein come back to me.

2022 204 4Mo DSG OCEAN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the komfort b14 on 2 previous Transporters, not the best ride if I am honest on the Cali Beach it got quire bad.
I then had STXA coilovers on my last Ocean, and did over 30k on them with 18inch alloys and General Grabber ST3. When I sold it the tyres still looked new. Cali was set as low as possible, hope this helps.

Ironically I took my rear tyres off at the weekend to replace the lower cups on the B14 Komfort set up. Tyre wear is even, but the NSR rear was showing a narrow strip of edge wear on the inner and outer edge. Never seen that before. This wear is not tracking related but under inflation. Didn't look too much at the OSR tyre after snapping a anti roll bar mounting bolt (quality VW!)

I've had adjustable polybushes fitted, but rear tyre wear was never a problem prior to the replacement bushes. Front end however was a different matter

My Cali drives straight and not really affected by camber pull that plagued the van from new.

Sounds like a tracking issue

Mine hasn't dropped but I have adjusted the NSR rear cups as this was incorrectly set up by Bognor. (15mm lower than the OSR) . This was due to both adjustable cups being set the same. However the NSR needs more preload to compenstate for the weight on that side.

I have 33k miles on the B14 Komforts.

I had the komfort b14 on 2 previous Transporters, not the best ride if I am honest on the Cali Beach it got quire bad.
I then had STXA coilovers on my last Ocean, and did over 30k on them with 18inch alloys and General Grabber ST3. When I sold it the tyres still looked new. Cali was set as low as possible, hope this helps.

Thanks. Good to know re the STXA - wish I’d gone that route now. What size grabbers were you running on yours?

I’m tempted to go a bit swamper with 255/55R18 BUT not sure I can face the resulting loss in torque which would surely follow. I see this size is TUV approved in Germany and was on a few Cali’s in the dealership where I bought mine (The BulliShow / Autohaus Schweiger), tuningbus.de also fit these as do T5 Upgrades. Thinking 235/55R18 may be more sensible.

I’ve never really had a problem running the 275/35R20 that I’ve had for the last 7.5 years but now I’m getting the urge to drive up a few mountain tracks in summertime plus all terrains with the 3PMS would mean a half decent compromise for winter and not having to change to winter tyres - although they’ll perform better than AT in snow.

I had the original B14 on my T5 panel, ride was awful, occasionally used to catch, which frightened the dog. Hit a pot hole and one of the shocks bust, couldn’t find anywhere where I could buy a single shock replacement so had to scrap the whole lot.

e1c142e9e8bac767a33af2b027b28256.dng

51384e542e72ef3e14cc7f5f43541825.dng

e775004f6fb34e8c19952984855b8504.dng

51eb3cea73f776efcbdb41b080f5192a.dng

A decent set of tyres shredded. Basically like throwing £1k in the bin. Which is what I’m going to have to do to the B14 Komforts if a solution isn’t fourthcoming.

Tracking......The B14 Komforts is a rear coil (smaller), adjustable head and shock......the geometry for van is VW and limited. Hence I went with adjustable bushes but I never had a problem with rear tyres

Like a motorbike you can preload the coil......however the height range means the coil has to be smaller and less progressive as it has reduced travel. (Fundamentally you cant lower the vehicle if the coil is the same length)

I had a rear tracking issue on the original tyres when new. VW said it could have been a pot hole and not a warranty item.

Fronts wear look familiar.

Will take a picture tonight of my tyres at 12k miles

I can only compare ride against the -30mm lowering spring and Komforts are far superior. I went with the lowering spring first but found the ride too harsh on the front (rear was fine), typically being bounced out of the seat. I junked them after 8k miles

The drive on the Komforts is far superior and mine no longer drive like a van. However lowering and firming up the ride means that the ride is ......firmer.

I can only compare ride against the -30mm lowering spring and Komforts are far superior. I went with the lowering spring first but found the ride too harsh on the front (rear was fine), typically being bounced out of the seat. I junked them after 8k miles

The drive on the Komforts is far superior and mine no longer drive like a van. However lowering and firming up the ride means that the ride is ......firmer.

I agree - ride quality is pretty good.
I do find it odd that Bilstein give a lowering range of 40-70mm drop but in reality it’s 70mm or more. Same on my last Cali which was a Beach on B14s (Komforts are much better). That shredded the rears because it was too low.
I had both Hunter Aligned at installation but what’s happened is it just gets lower over time and that causes neg Camber which can’t be adjusted and there’s no scope to raise it back up again. Maybe I’ll look at the adjustable bushes but tbh I think I’m done with wheel faffing - it shouldn’t be touching the rear wheel arch liners off bumps and didn’t do in the beginning.

Only just got in, this is the NSF tyre at 12k. (Only one at the moment that has reasonable access)

IMG20240829205224.jpg

Arghhh your talking about spring sag?

Nowt noticeable on mine over 4yrs but I will measure it once the rear settles again (been jacked up) Mine was at 395mm from centre of wheel to bottom of arch

NSR and OSR after 12k ....psi 38 on the NSR hence the more pronounced edge wear as it's the heavy corner

IMG20240831165735.jpg

IMG20240831125722.jpg

I agree - ride quality is pretty good.
I do find it odd that Bilstein give a lowering range of 40-70mm drop but in reality it’s 70mm or more. Same on my last Cali which was a Beach on B14s (Komforts are much better). That shredded the rears because it was too low.
I had both Hunter Aligned at installation but what’s happened is it just gets lower over time and that causes neg Camber which can’t be adjusted and there’s no scope to raise it back up again. Maybe I’ll look at the adjustable bushes but tbh I think I’m done with wheel faffing - it shouldn’t be touching the rear wheel arch liners off bumps and didn’t do in the beginning.

Had the Bilstein Air which uses the B14 dampers.
I had the adjustable rear camber polybushes fitted to take out the negative camber when on the lowest setting. No uneven wear across the treads.

Had the Bilstein Air which uses the B14 dampers.
I had the adjustable rear camber polybushes fitted to take out the negative camber when on the lowest setting. No uneven wear across the treads.

Hi, how do you rate / what made you choose the Bilstein Air vs the VB? I’ve read the thread with the VB gripes on here.

UPDATE:

Back at the installers this morning. Bilstein said that this is an unusual scenario and have supplied a replacement set of (identical to previous) rear springs to be fitted.

Whilst this is good of Bilstein outside the warranty period, I foresee exactly the same sag issue happening again.
My previous T6 Beach had B14s (as opposed to Komforts) and they also sagged, to the point of contact, over time and I was told they were at maximum height. Stating the obvious - the Beach is lighter than the Ocean.

Bilstein state the drop range is -40 to -70mm. I think it’s -70mm or lower and would be interested to hear from anyone who has Bilsteins and is happily cruising round at a lofty -40mm. Maybe it’s a 4Mo thing.

So far, the kit has cost me an extra 2 installer height adjustments, a reinstall of rear springs, 2 hunter alignments and a set of winter tyres.

Hopefully I get to a happy place before winter tyre time. Thinking of ditching the summer/winter combo and trying some Continental All Season Contact 2 OR switching to 18” and 3PMS All Terrains

Arghhh not as bad as me....I had someone fit my powerflex bushes ( I dont have a car hoist) and they gunned everything back in. I gave him the benefit of the doubt on the front when the steering knuckle bolt was knackered as numerous people have been at the suspension.

However a simple job to replace spring cups has turned in ££££, and I've lost confidence, after failing to remove a snapped bolt , which is lowly torqued, and I was the one, previous to him, that removed / and refitted them with a touch of anti seize....... so I'm having both rear trailing arms replaced

Hi, how do you rate / what made you choose the Bilstein Air vs the VB? I’ve read the thread with the VB gripes on here.

VB (at that time) used Alko dampers which were very soft and eventually replaced by Koni on the rear but front remained soft and bouncy. Koni weren't an option for the front even after me offering to pay.

Main differences were/are

VB has small compressor and air tank giving a slow change of height modes.
Ride height levels are presets by installer. Sport isn't as low as expected.
Controller on the end of a flexilead.
Ride and modes OK for leisurely use and onsite self level option.
Much of my problems were installer orientated leading to looking for an alternative.

Bilstein is firmer at low speeds but very stable at all normal open road speeds.
More Sports/speed orientated than VB.
Height range goes from unwanted low point to slightly less as max height but still enough for tracks and fields.
You can specify which control air system you have to set ride heights. All have the facility to set your own. I had E-level which has 3 presets.
Individual control of each corner for onsite manual levelling, only takes seconds with the aid of a spirit level.

Bilstein with comfort dampers would be a good option.
It is an option to just fit Bilstein air to the rear with a simple system that is manually set to level various loads as required Obviously a fully Auto system is better.

There was no option for lowering from VW at the time that I wanted it as they said that it would upset the Bluemotion system?? Oddly VB was approved which lowered and stayed OK with VW???
A few hundred/thousand lowered vans since have not reported any issues.

Had it been available at the time I'd have gone with the Koni system with springs.

Airride is another option but no personal experience.

VB (at that time) used Alko dampers which were very soft and eventually replaced by Koni on the rear but front remained soft and bouncy. Koni weren't an option for the front even after me offering to pay.

Main differences were/are

VB has small compressor and air tank giving a slow change of height modes.
Ride height levels are presets by installer. Sport isn't as low as expected.
Controller on the end of a flexilead.
Ride and modes OK for leisurely use and onsite self level option.
Much of my problems were installer orientated leading to looking for an alternative.

Bilstein is firmer at low speeds but very stable at all normal open road speeds.
More Sports/speed orientated than VB.
Height range goes from unwanted low point to slightly less as max height but still enough for tracks and fields.
You can specify which control air system you have to set ride heights. All have the facility to set your own. I had E-level which has 3 presets.
Individual control of each corner for onsite manual levelling, only takes seconds with the aid of a spirit level.

Bilstein with comfort dampers would be a good option.
It is an option to just fit Bilstein air to the rear with a simple system that is manually set to level various loads as required Obviously a fully Auto system is better.

There was no option for lowering from VW at the time that I wanted it as they said that it would upset the Bluemotion system?? Oddly VB was approved which lowered and stayed OK with VW???
A few hundred/thousand lowered vans since have not reported any issues.

Had it been available at the time I'd have gone with the Koni system with springs.

Airride is another option but no personal experience.

Thanks for posting. I shall take a look at the Bilstein !