Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Eibach Pro Street v Bilstein B14s

E

Elrao

Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Supplying VW dealer has provided me two options for lowering a used T6.1 California:
  • Eibach Pro-Street, supplied and fitted by VW at £2,400 (this includes ADAS calibration)
  • Bilstein (I believe B14) supplied and fitted by Vanworx at £1,320 (no ADAS calibration) - note this is lower than Vanworx website that says £1500!
They still can't explain what the extra £525 is for, when compared to the VW list price of £1,875 (inc) for the Eibachs supplied and fitted (but without the ADAS, or replacing the shock bolts) - see attached doc. They previously said the ADAS config was £300, so £225 for some bolts??

They say that as Vanworx are a VW accredited installer, that the fitment of the Bilsteins would have no warranty implication. Assuming that were true then it seems a no brainer to go with the Bilsteins, but was wondering if anyone had any experience of BOTH, to give an opinion on which is better / how they compare ride wise?

Attachments

• attachment 1 (1).pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 11
VW would normally replace the rear suspension bolts that adjust the rear wheel alignment, a VW practice that tracking garages wouldn't do.

If the budget permits I'd recommend having an adjustable Poly-bush set fitted to the rear as all bolts come with it plus you can have Camber adjusted in addition to alignment.
Again if budget permitted include a front set but could be done later as easier to do than the rear.

I have Bilstein Air which uses the B14 dampers. They are pretty firm at low speeds but come into their own at speed and totally in control on back roads.

£225 for some bolts though? Not sure VW would fit the poly bushes and whether they would cause warranty issues (which is my overall concern here - as its 6 months old)

Warranty is related to the kit. Usually only 12 months on non manufacturer parts. May get VW period as they fit it.
Polly bushes are lifetime warranty. transformed the comfort level on mine and improved handling due to angles all being set correctly. Just a suggestion.

Sorry, I meant overall warranty. Avoiding any potential for VW to try and wriggle out of warranty claims on other loosely related issues by blaming on suspension

Hey, not sure if this will help you make a decision, but spoke to a dealer yesterday about the Eibach kit and they informed me there were none available with no ETA and 11 on back order so could be a long wait - not sure how true this was. Sadly they didn't give the option of the B14s. Which dealer are you working with?

Marshall Bridgwater. The B14s are offered through Vanworx who have a unit round the corner apparently.

When I spoke to Bognor Motors about the Eibachs he did say they were on back order from his local vw supplier.

With the current trend to fit the big 20" wheels and lower the suspension on just about every 'Builders' van or DIY Campervan conversion demand for parts is outstripping supply.
The Covid situation in Germany is also contributing to the issue of supply. 6% inflation will feed through on prices.

Sorry, I meant overall warranty. Avoiding any potential for VW to try and wriggle out of warranty claims on other loosely related issues by blaming on suspension
Manufacturers are trying to get legislation for only parts supplied by them that can be fitted, ignores the fact that they buy in parts for assembly in the fist place.

The warranty wear and tear clause applies to many suspension parts, as VW see fit.

Yeah - if it was a 3 yr old van then my choices would be different; but don't want to risk any potential warranty issues by choosing one brand over another without good reason (i.e. they are miles better).

In my opinion you're only choice is to go with VW supplied and fitted EIbach's if you want 100% confidence that they will not challenge any potential warranty issues surrounding suspension components in the future.

Regarding ride, it is such a personal thing, Bognor Motors run some demo vans with different set-ups, sure you could try before you buy, even if you did not buy from them in the end.

I have the B14 Komforts. Highly recommended.