A bridge too far?........ Do you think?

Jollity Farmer

Jollity Farmer

Ploughing our own furrow
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hello to all,

Well, its about time to introduce ourselves........We have had the Cali for about 18 months and have already racked up 23k+ miles on the clock. Mostly trips to the south West and Scotland and some trips to Germany to visit friends and family. Its been a lot of fun and we are enjoying being out in the van.

So what next? Well........long before I retired I once said “ wouldn’t it be a breeze to cross the first bridge on every river estuary around the coast of the UK”. I mean... how many can there be?...100, 150 maybe, certainly no more than 200. If you think of the Thames, Humber, a few around East Anglia, Portsmouth, Southampton and then some around Bristol that must be it !!!! How wrong can you be !!!!!!!

Now we have more time on our hands we have started to fulfil my quest and visit every river estuary in the Cali. I have compiled a list of rivers along the coast from where we live between Eastbourne and Brighton all the way to Lands End and discovered that there are 177 rivers to cross. Some are right out of the way along small country roads but the joy is visiting places you would never even think of stopping at. If you see us on a bridge near you please give a wave.

So........here we go on our expedition and, to para phrase a famous Antarctic explorer, “ I am just going outside......I may be gone some while”.

Has anyone else got any similar ridiculous ideas to fill up there time? Would love hear about anyones crazy ideas.

Best regards

Jollity Farmer ( Added picture )

IMG_7968.jpg

Let me get this right.......177 between you and Lands End? Holy Smoly!

Now we have more time on our hands we have started to fulfil my quest and visit every river estuary in the Cali. I have compiled a list of rivers along the coast from where we live between Eastbourne and Brighton all the way to Lands End and discovered that there are 177 rivers to cross. Some are right out of the way along small country roads but the joy is visiting places you would never even think of stopping at. If you see us on a bridge near you please give a wave.
Try quest #2 and follow the various watersheds between where you live and Lands End, then the number of river crossings should be zero.

Has anyone else got any similar ridiculous ideas to fill up there time? Would love hear about anyones crazy ideas.
We have spent some trips on visiting film locations, can also be a nice hobby. We e.g. did visit a series of locations from the ’Heimat’ film series in the Hunsrück (DE), with our eldest son we visited ’Band of Brothers’ locations (both from the series as well as real 101 Div sites), there are a lot of James Bond sites in Switzerland (nearly all Bond mountain scenes were filmed in CH). And there is of course Harry Potter in the UK/Scotland.

Last edited:
Try quest #2 and follow the various watersheds between where you live and Lands End, then the number of river crossings should be zero.

Geography nerd!
:embarrased

On our trip around Europe we visited the four extremities of the EU mainland.

Cabo da Roca, near Lisbon was easy, as was Tarifa to the west of Gibraltar. Nuorgam in Northern Finland is remote but on a metalled road. The easternmost point of the EU mainland is deep in forest near the Russian border, and reaching it involves miles and miles or dirt track forest road, cordoned off by orange rope in a militarised zone for the occasional casual tourist like us.

IMG_3218.JPG

Meg has strayed just outside the rope cordon. On the Island in the lake you can just make out a blue and white post on the Finish side and a red and green post on the Russian side. Between the two coloured posts is a third white stone marking the actual border. Every year, in a joint operation, the Finns and Russians inspect all stones along the entire 830 mile border, splashing more paint on when required and reseating any fallen stones.

Last edited:
Wish I had enough time to mile up my California... :sad

Hello to all,

Well, its about time to introduce ourselves........We have had the Cali for about 18 months and have already racked up 23k+ miles on the clock. Mostly trips to the south West and Scotland and some trips to Germany to visit friends and family. Its been a lot of fun and we are enjoying being out in the van.

So what next? Well........long before I retired I once said “ wouldn’t it be a breeze to cross the first bridge on every river estuary around the coast of the UK”. I mean... how many can there be?...100, 150 maybe, certainly no more than 200. If you think of the Thames, Humber, a few around East Anglia, Portsmouth, Southampton and then some around Bristol that must be it !!!! How wrong can you be !!!!!!!

So........here we go on our expedition and, to para phrase a famous Antarctic explorer, “ I am just going outside......I may be gone some while”.

Best regards

Jollity Farmer ( Added picture )

View attachment 54745

That is such a brilliant idea :thumb . I am starting small with UK four corners in the Cali - not a mad idea to start with .. but I am sure, reading yours, I will have some idea soon. Enjoy and do share at least the 177 pics, if not more :)

cripes !!!! The next leg - lands end to the welsh border looks busy

What an amazing idea!
I want to spread the Geography love with my children and head to these three mountains in our new Cali - and then I can legitimately go and buy the towels!
230B9528-0B82-49AE-BC31-70016F452482.png

Be sure to post pictures on the different bridges you visit with a bit of background info :thumb