Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A/C?

apatchee

apatchee

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi all,

I'm still searching for the right Cali for my budget.

Can you get a early Cali with A/C or were they not made?

Thanks

Hi all,

Thanks
According to an in-line parts site I use 2004 vehicles definitely had AirCon, don't know about prior to that, but I'm sure someone will be along who is more knowledgeable regarding earlier vehicles.

Not sure of the exact dates but essentially, no is the answer.

You'd need to be more specific with your budget.

Hi all,

Thanks
Really useful website you should spend some time with. It's got the full rundown of all the Westy specs and options.

Been having a nose about for info on A/C on earlier Westy's. From what I can tell none of the diesel powered ones had it until the long nose 2.5TDI came about, so around 1997/8. Even then it was an option. Some petrol powered early Westy's may have it, but again it was an option in the region of DM3500. Dunno what that is in new money but it sounds pricy. Best thing is to find one that has fully operational opening windows front and rear then your options will be more varied.

It is a tricky one. AC, or lack of it, was the main driver in us changing our van.

It is a game changer if you plan Euro trips.

If memory serves, in the old days there were approx 3DM to the pound so quite an expensive option.

It is a tricky one, we woukd like to dip into southern Britanny so no A/C might be okay for those trips.

I have seen a petrol 93 Cali forsale with A/C but it's a auto, I've been warned of auto's.

It is a tricky one, we woukd like to dip into southern Britanny so no A/C might be okay for those trips.

I have seen a petrol 93 Cali forsale with A/C but it's a auto, I've been warned of auto's.
I know your budget is limited but if you do a few sums you'd probably be worth stretching it further to get a 2.5TDI with A/C rather than pouring money into feeding a thirsty Auto petrol. My inclination would be to steer clear of an Auto but that could be doing them an injustice, my preference has always been for a manual box. Also, the trips start with Southern Brittany but the urge soon grows to go farther afield. This campervanning thing is addictive.

Budgets around 10k so early 90's vans
Thanks
Something else worth considering is that if you're looking to buy now for this summer you've chosen the time of year when there is most demand. It's better to purchase in the Autumn when there should be more choice, when folks have tried it for a year or two an decided it's not for them. Unless of course you're after something specific and don't want to miss out on it.

I have a '93 with factory A/C, 2.5 petrol with Auto. No complaints, the A/C works great, the engine is a bit on the thirsty side but not really an issue for me. The auto box is fine, hardly up there with a DSG but picks up and holds the engine at around peak torque for the steeper stuff (10%>), anything less than that you may need to manually drop to 3rd or kick it down. With it being LHD and having 2 young kids in the rear, the less mental focus spent stirring a box was the preferred option for me.

Back