Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A daft electrical question....

Stolly

Stolly

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
So we’ve had our Cali since December 2016 and thus far have had a super brilliant time with it. One minor frustration though is charging our phones and garmin running watches. Unless I’m being a bit thick (and there’s every chance I am) the engine needs to be running, or at least the ignition switched on, to use any of the usb hubs or sockets for charging. Is there any easy way to utilise the leisure battery instead?

I'm pretty sure the only ignition key switched socket is the dash one. The rear 4 should always be live... please correct me if I'm wrong others.

edit - the cigarette lighter sockets that is, using a USB adapter... not the USB dash sockets...

All sockets behind the seats are on the leisure circuit so if you need to run the engine then both batteries are dead or disconnected.
So the 12 V socket immediately behind the passenger seat to the right of the sink just needs an adaptor for a usb hub and I’ll be good to go? I’m sure reading the manual that it said this socket needed the ignition on to so, without an adaptor, I haven’t even tried it

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
I have a double USB adaptor permanently connected and have never had any problems with it significantly draining the battery. Mine are in a Highline T6 Kombi and can be in either the top or rearward facing 12v socket in the dash which in this case are always on regardless of the ignition switch. Obviously these are powered by the engine battery

Rod

I bought one of these things (not this exact one). I just take it with me everywhere- it plugs into Uk and EU sockets and allows you to charge your watch, iPad and speaker at the same time. It works in the Euro plug socket behind the passenger seat.
Just be careful not to overload that socket by using it as an adapter for english plugs for high wattage stuff- it’s fine charging a load of devices at once though.

3962DC3A-3D6A-4469-BD30-D4D064EB7F63.jpeg

That's a pretty inefficient use of battery power - you are converting 12v to 240v to plug in an adapter that takes it from 240v down to 5v . Using the 12v sockets would be far more efficient.

I’ve never noticed it make much of a difference. I suppose you’re right.
It was more about convenience- of leaving the 12v free for my coffee machine!

I’ve never noticed it make much of a difference. I suppose you’re right.
It was more about convenience- of leaving the 12v free for my coffee machine!
You have more than 1 12v Socket to use. You can also plug in adapters that will give you multiple USB and 12v sockets.
2973FFD6-D24B-4B24-A96A-8988530B00E8.jpeg

I’ll wait till I break or lose the plug!

Yes I agree the ones in the rear are all live and work off the leisure batteries. Charging watches etc are minimal and should have little impact. No current is drawn if nothing is plugged in. Hope that helps

All sockets behind the seats are on the leisure circuit so if you need to run the engine then both batteries are dead or disconnected.
Does this include the 12v outlet in the upstairs compartment?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Great, thanks.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

In my T5.1, all the 12V sockets are always live. Even the front dash one, getting it's juice from the starter battery.

Hi, I have a t5.1, is the socket under the back seat by the sliding door is the power coming from the leisure battery?

Back