Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Motor battery help

Sarahbow6

Sarahbow6

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi, hoping someone can help! My kids managed to flatten the van battery in my T6 ocean while camping by charging their phones in the USB ports in the front, I put it down to experience & that I had left them with the van while I was down at the agility rings with my dog, however, I was away in in Friday & Saturday night & had the ignition on for around 30 mins to put some juice in my phone & it wouldn’t start again so I had to get a boost, I have now ordered some 12v to USB adapters & will make sure I don’t have just the ignition on for any amount of time, but feel like I might be missing a trick, is there anything else running from the main battery that could be draining it while the ignition isn’t on, I’ve been lucky as the agility community generally have things like jump leads but I could well be stranded if this wasn’t the case & something is draining it.

Radio did they have that on?

Reading lights in the cab area? do you have an electric sliding door opening & shutting frequently?

The radio was only on when the ignition was on, none on the front cab lights were on & my side door is manual I’m just surprised it drains that quickly, if that’s the case then fair enough I’ll just have to remove the keys when I’m not at the van but didn’t know if it is normal or an issue with my battery? All the 12v (apart from the dash one) & lights in the living area run off the leisure battery don’t they?

The radio was only on when the ignition was on, none on the front cab lights were on & my side door is manual I’m just surprised it drains that quickly, if that’s the case then fair enough I’ll just have to remove the keys when I’m not at the van but didn’t know if it is normal or an issue with my battery? All the 12v (apart from the dash one) & lights in the living area run off the leisure battery don’t they?
Correct.

If you have the ignition on some of the front running lights will be on, plus if lights switch to auto your headlights could be will be on in low light

The radio should work without the Ignition On and will automatically switch off after 20 minutes to protect the Engine Battery. Because of the T6 Regenerative Braking System the Engine Battery will only charge to 80% capacity. Ignition On, as is stated above DRL lights will be On as well.

Do you have MOLL+ type starter battery, there are known problems with these are being changed under warranty.

Backup small power packs are widely available, some come with a kit of other tools such as tyre air compressors. Just an example--

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PLNG7QY/?tag=eliteelect-21{creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584345018646145&psc=1