Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A last minute purchase

Depends where you live & how you use the Cali.Our biggest regret was not to spec the LED headlights.

The sort of driving you describe is what we usually end up doing on our adventures... From everything I've seen retrofitting them is no-go.

Simon,

The LED headlights look aesthetically fantastic too. Are they a necessity? I've always coped with standard headlamps on all my previous cars and £1500 seems a big premium for lights.

Cheers

They are superb. I have always managed with the ordinary headlights in every vehicle I have had. The LEDs were part of the package I got with my demonstrator. Some of the extras I wouldn't have paid the premium for them, but the headlights I would have done.
Unlike the ordinary lights which are a yellow light, these are bright white. A friend has uprated the lights in his California with more powerful bulbs above the standard and they are still nowhere near provideing what the LED ones do.
Here is one thread to have a look at https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/led-lights-worth-the-extra.16738/

They seem to have a very low cut off so hopefully are not dazzling oncoming drivers. They have an autodip function as well.
I think the ACC is a superb piece of tech, the internal lighting upgrades, the 3 section flat surface and the headlights. These are the main improvements over our T5 when we changed.
There will be a lot more people who have them now, so perhaps put the question on a thread. LED headlights - are they that much better?
One other thing, order the 4 sets of keys as well. They are well under £100 if ordered before delivery. Each set is well over that if ordered after purchase.
You will have a superb vehicle which will bring you a lot of fun and great memories.
Simon

Yes we did all the paperwork last week and asked him to wait until today to put it through. I’m unsure if different options mean different delivery dates ??? You are probably more clued up on delivery dates than I am.

@CampingMist you need to become a VIP then we can have a proper discussion about a collection party!

Great to hear that Mark is sorting you out, he is nice and straight forward and no hassle.

I think he placed my order on Friday last week, so we'll all be in or around the same build week I'd imagine, assuming the build week isn't spec dependant (which it might be).

Fun times ahead!!

Yes we did all the paperwork last week and asked him to wait until today to put it through. I’m unsure if different options mean different delivery dates ??? You are probably more clued up on delivery dates than I am.
@CampingMist you need to become a VIP then we can have a proper discussion about a collection party!

Great to hear that Mark is sorting you out, he is nice and straight forward and no hassle.

I think he placed my order on Friday last week, so we'll all be in or around the same build week I'd imagine, assuming the build week isn't spec dependant (which it might be).

Fun times ahead!!

It's my next job, I'll VIP up when I have a moment. I've bought a few VAG cars and the spec hasn't effected the build in the past but things could be different at the California factory.

@Jo ho ho and @itguy dare I ask if you went LED headlights?

It's my next job, I'll VIP up when I have a moment. I've bought a few VAG cars and the spec hasn't effected the build in the past but things could be different at the California factory.

Sorry but yes we did. ;) Not sure you wanted to hear that but after reading different threads we felt it was worth it. Having hired a van in Cornwall we realised how dark the lanes could be and if you are not sure what is round the corner it’s very unnerving. Well it was for me anyway.

Sorry but yes we did. ;) Not sure you wanted to hear that but after reading different threads we felt it was worth it. Having hired a van in Cornwall we realised how dark the lanes could be and if you are not sure what is round the corner it’s very unnerving. Well it was for me anyway.

I'm just coming to accept that I'm not going to have any money now! I'm pretty sure it's what I'd want, I've hired some vans in the past and they've had really poor headlights and it just makes driving not much of a pleasure. Fine, you win. ;)

Yes, we have ordered LEDs. We live in a very dark rural village and have always bought the best lights possible on cars as it just helps so much. They do get good write ups too. If you haven’t ordered them then don’t worry though, many say the normal lights are just fine too.

They are superb. I have always managed with the ordinary headlights in every vehicle I have had. The LEDs were part of the package I got with my demonstrator. Some of the extras I wouldn't have paid the premium for them, but the headlights I would have done.
Unlike the ordinary lights which are a yellow light, these are bright white. A friend has uprated the lights in his California with more powerful bulbs above the standard and they are still nowhere near provideing what the LED ones do.
Here is one thread to have a look at https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/led-lights-worth-the-extra.16738/

They seem to have a very low cut off so hopefully are not dazzling oncoming drivers. They have an autodip function as well.
I think the ACC is a superb piece of tech, the internal lighting upgrades, the 3 section flat surface and the headlights. These are the main improvements over our T5 when we changed.
There will be a lot more people who have them now, so perhaps put the question on a thread. LED headlights - are they that much better?
One other thing, order the 4 sets of keys as well. They are well under £100 if ordered before delivery. Each set is well over that if ordered after purchase.
You will have a superb vehicle which will bring you a lot of fun and great memories.
Simon

We’ve ordered the auto-dip (auto full beam) as a separate item. Should this have come with the LEDs anyway?

We’ve ordered the auto-dip (auto full beam) as a separate item. Should this have come with the LEDs anyway?

Not sure if it was with the LED package or an extra, I didn't know it was on there until it happened. I got a demonstrator from Coventry and had no say in the options. I would probably have picked many of them anyway, but it was nice to have it as a package and not have to agonise over each option.
I probably wouldn't have picked the cupboard lighting package, but having used it I now think it is very useful.

I'm just coming to accept that I'm not going to have any money now! I'm pretty sure it's what I'd want, I've hired some vans in the past and they've had really poor headlights and it just makes driving not much of a pleasure. Fine, you win. ;)
I'm in the same boat as you but try to keep things in perspective here.
The LED's give a better illumination and look cool to most but they are ridiculously priced. If that is a factor the standard lights should be fit for purpose. In the true fashion of a forum I think @T6 CFO summed it up here https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/led-lights-worth-the-extra.16738/#post-187344
Many are happy with standard lights. I sure hope I'm one of them.

Obviously, I am biased, since I have bought the LEDs and the high beam assist.

We drove from Newcastle to Ullapool, with some delays we arrived at around 1.30 at our free camping site.I would not have been as relaxed if I had standard lights while arriving at Ullapool. I selected nothing for bling only what I considered either safety or comfort and we see the lights as a safety feature.

I have never driven a California with "normal" headlights but I have driven two Volvo XC60 one with standard lights and one with LEDs and there was a very big difference for these two which prompted my decision.

Hope you are happy with what ever choice you make.

..me,,

I have also ordered an Ocean from Mark on 30/10/2017, when do you think we should receive further information on build dates etc.?

Hi audio2

I’m not sure when. I think I’ll leave it a week and then maybe give him a ring. I don’t think it will speed things up. It will arrive when it’s ready. Lol.

:) Looking forward to that day. Tee hee.

I stand corrected, just re-done the configurator. If I add a heated rear it removes the insulated rear glass. I'll not knocking the heated rear off my list.
Not found a problem with double glazed rear window not having a heated element, reduced condensation with double glazing. Wiper clears rain but rear view not very good due to headrests and storage over rear area.

I'd say go for double glazing and no need to worry about heated element loss. Less condensation in camp mode.

Hi everyone,

First post here after much trawling for information in the past. I have finally had a chance to go down and drive an Ocean and was obviously extremely happy with what I saw. I have been toying with doing a conversion and ultimately decided I'd get more pleasure from using a camper than I would making one so getting a California was the only choice.

I have specified what I believe to be right for me with the dealer:

• California SWB 2.0 TDI 150 Ocean DSG
  • N7N Seat Trim Covers in Alcantra
  • 3U1 Bed Extension + Comfort Sleeping Mat
  • 4HS Heated Rear Window with Wash / Wipe
  • 4Y2 Lockable Storage Compartment
  • 7X2 Front and Rear Parking Sensors
  • 9CE 4Stnd Intr Lights + 1 Flrsent-psng Cmpt
  • 9WT App Connect
  • II6 Cupboard in Dark Wood Wt Outdr Cnctn
  • NF1 Awning Housing and Rail in Black
  • NY2 Battery Upgraded 450A (95Ah)
  • PAD Adptv Cruise Cntrl+Frnt Asst+Cty Bke
  • QL0 Privacy Glass wit Heat Insulation
  • ZI6 Composition Media RAD+6.33in TuchScrn
  • 2G2 80ltr Fuel Tank
I'm quite happy negotiating new cars on PCP, but I'm not certain what is reasonable to ask for in terms of discount on a California. I do plan to buy GAP + smart insurance from this dealer. I have considered asking for metallic paint FOC, mud flaps FOC. I can't decide if I'm in a weak position as of the price rise on Wednesday or if they'll be happy to have more figures on their month.

Any advice, comments on the spec would be most welcome.

All the best.

I agree with JohnnyP...I originally spec'd 4HS Heated rear window as it was a no-cost option, until the good people on the Forum pointed out that you lose Double glazing. It is a very large glass area and if you are parked up with the back of your Cali facing the rest of the site the double glazing not only gives better interior warmth but better noise insulation. You still get rear wash wipe and I have never had any issues with condensation or frost problems in the morning... I would rather wipe the outside rear glass if necessary and have the above benefits of the double glazing...purely my opinion. :)

I am buying heated rear screen as it comes with the vehicle, an ex demo. Double glazed is a far better option. Who needs heated rear screen when you have a heater that heats the whole van in minutes and can be programmed to do so whilst you are cleaning your teeth

I am buying heated rear screen as it comes with the vehicle, an ex demo. Double glazed is a far better option. Who needs heated rear screen when you have a heater that heats the whole van in minutes and can be programmed to do so whilst you are cleaning your teeth
The heated rear screen is for de-misting the glass not warming the van ;) I agree, go for double glazed as rear visibility is minimal anyway, especially if you have a bike rack fitted.

The heated rear screen is for de-misting the glass not warming the van .

Yes, and a demister is irrelevant when the Cali has such a brilliant heater. I have no idea why they offer the heated rear screen, it's irrelevant almost.

I have also ordered an Ocean from Mark on 30/10/2017, when do you think we should receive further information on build dates etc.?

Get in touch with vw commercial customer services. Their online chat is good. Ordered ours on 31/10 and was told this evening build week 4/12! Expected at dealership beginning of February!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a vehicle that had lights on the front.just like the lights on the front of my 1980 vw golf. I find the lights perfectly ok because I'm not a tosser who needs a football stadium flood light on my bonnet dazzling everyone else because guess what? I can drive in the dark.

I bought a vehicle that had lights on the front.just like the lights on the front of my 1980 vw golf. I find the lights perfectly ok because I'm not a tosser who needs a football stadium flood light on my bonnet dazzling everyone else because guess what? I can drive in the dark.

Crikey, that's a bit strong.

I couldn't disagree more with your post as where I live is very dark, in the countryside and there are regularly walkers / runners / wildlife etc that I want the earliest possible warning of when driving at night. Wildlife doesn't have fluorescent jackets or flashing lights on and I am certainly not someone who just motors on and squashes poor defenceless creatures in my pursuit to get to work in the morning.

The technology included with bright headlights is there to minimise dazzling to other drivers and as manufacturers start to move more towards matrix LED it will get even better.

My main issue with headlights is the aftermarket kits/bulbs that replace dipped beams on standard headlights with HID or LED, where the beam pattern is not designed for it. They just throw light anywhere and are very dazzling.

Get in touch with vw commercial customer services. Their online chat is good. Ordered ours on 31/10 and was told this evening build week 4/12! Expected at dealership beginning of February!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you say build week 4/12 - what does that mean? It's usually just a number - do you mean it is the week commencing 4th December? Delivery early feb? Others have had theirs at their dealer 1 or 2 weeks after their build week!!

Cheers

Back