Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A lucky escape

C

Chrisp

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
with this being our first winter with the van it never occurred to me to drain the water from the system when the sub zero temperatures came. So after reading on the forum about freezing I thought I’d go and check out the van, which is in a garage. The water had not frozen because the heater was on! Pretty sure I turned it off after the last journey 5or 6 days earlier, so it’s likely I had accidentally turned it back on with the remote key! Luckily I got ventilation installed in the garage a few weeks ago so the garage wasn’t full of fumes, and the battery still had some charge , and no noticeable drop on the fuel gauge. Plugged into the
Mains for a couple of days and all back to normal!

Did you drain the water tank though?

Alan

with this being our first winter with the van it never occurred to me to drain the water from the system when the sub zero temperatures came. So after reading on the forum about freezing I thought I’d go and check out the van, which is in a garage. The water had not frozen because the heater was on! Pretty sure I turned it off after the last journey 5or 6 days earlier, so it’s likely I had accidentally turned it back on with the remote key! Luckily I got ventilation installed in the garage a few weeks ago so the garage wasn’t full of fumes, and the battery still had some charge , and no noticeable drop on the fuel gauge. Plugged into the
Mains for a couple of days and all back to normal!
Had a near miss like that as well. Got back from a long weekend in Dorset and did drain the tank quickly enough and it froze. Has thawed now and no sign of any leaks. Phew!

Back