Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A new Cali is born

W

Wyv

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
G&TS and myself were ecstatic to collect our shiny new California Ocean from Northampton VW Van Centre (Vindis). We received excellent advise and guidance from the dealer, after having 2 disappointing visits nearer to home, where the dealers barely knew a thing about the California :talktothehand.

On one of the test drives me and G (Wife) were roaring in laughter when G kept over applying the brakes (they were very hard to be fair) resulting in us kangarooing out of the van centre, things only got better on my attempt (having never driven an auto) the emergency braking assist came on and in the rear view mirror I had the unforgettable view of the VW rep windmilling his way into the cab from the back seats, terror in his eyes. I told him he should wear his seat belt, he just kind of slumped back into the seat, so I sat stationary in the traffic until he eventually got the idea and put it on. I didn't really fancy getting wiped out on a test drive.

Fortunately these forums and its members have been a god send in helping us make the right choices and be better informed about the options, thank you so much!

We have had Ivan, A 204 4Motion DSG California Ocean in Blackberry since the 3rd of December, and have yet to spend a full week at home, as come rain or snow we venture out in Ivan to a BritStop at every opportunity.

Its taken only 34 days to run up 1500 miles of the most enjoyable driving I have ever undertaken.

I look forward to seeing some of your Cali's in the future, and saying Hi :thumb

Toby

Welcome on your first posting.
How does the 4motion feels like in comination with the DSG?
Have you been on snow/ice roads , wet grass?

Good going, enjoy it. I need to investigate these Brit stops.

... message ends...

I've not been on snow or thick ice yet, wet roads haven't been a problem at all. We went for the heavy duty anti-sway option which, having driven both with and without, appears to make it incredibly stable in tight corners at a reasonable speed.

The 4Motion makes the Cali pull away a lot easier without any wheel spin, and as the roads have been quite icy I'm glad we went or it, The first part of my daily comute involves joining a busy A road, so accelerating hard is the only way to get onto the junction :(

Driven on grass and slick mud in the rain last week and didn't have any loss of control at all, which was a relief, I love the turning circle of the Cali!

As for BritStops i'm amazed by them, every pub we have visited have given us a really nice warm welcome and always popped over to have a chat to us, the BritStops in the peak district are really nice, toured around Derwent water for a week, with all but 2 nights spent at BritStops.

G&TS and myself were ecstatic to collect our shiny new California Ocean from Northampton VW Van Centre (Vindis). We received excellent advise and guidance from the dealer, after having 2 disappointing visits nearer to home, where the dealers barely knew a thing about the California :talktothehand.

On one of the test drives me and G (Wife) were roaring in laughter when G kept over applying the brakes (they were very hard to be fair) resulting in us kangarooing out of the van centre, things only got better on my attempt (having never driven an auto) the emergency braking assist came on and in the rear view mirror I had the unforgettable view of the VW rep windmilling his way into the cab from the back seats, terror in his eyes. I told him he should wear his seat belt, he just kind of slumped back into the seat, so I sat stationary in the traffic until he eventually got the idea and put it on. I didn't really fancy getting wiped out on a test drive.

Fortunately these forums and its members have been a god send in helping us make the right choices and be better informed about the options, thank you so much!

View attachment 18355

We have had Ivan, A 204 4Motion DSG California Ocean in Blackberry since the 3rd of December, and have yet to spend a full week at home, as come rain or snow we venture out in Ivan to a BritStop at every opportunity.

Its taken only 34 days to run up 1500 miles of the most enjoyable driving I have ever undertaken.

I look forward to seeing some of your Cali's in the future, and saying Hi :thumb

Toby[/QUO

Its a bit like having a baby but without the awful child after!

View attachment 18355

Toby
Nice van and I love the registration. I assume that's just his name though?

When we first collected our new 180 4motion dsg, I too had a couple of alarming incidents with the brakes. Even though we had owned automatic cars before, for some reason on both occasions I found that I had used my left foot to brake. Now because when driving a manual you use the left foot for the clutch, I applied the brakes with the same pressure. This resulted in our Cali instantly and spectacularly stopping dead in it's tracks. Fortunately on both occasions there was nothing behind. I for one can now confirm that the brakes work very well indeed. Oh and if you think that I am a twit you'd be right but not a solitary one. Having disclosed these errors to other Cali dsg owners at least a couple of them have admitted to doing exactly the same thing.

Last edited:
Welcome Wyv, great looking Cali. Enjoy every minute with Ivan.
Cheers sapto

oh the Ivan plate is Photoshop'd in! I wouldn't like to give my real plates. Ivan just seemed to fit, and when we saw Major Ivan Hurst had an influence on VW after the war we thought it quite fitting.

as for the left foot braking, I also am a twit in that regard! Now I tuck my left leg somewhere safe and comfortable.