Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Looking to buy but need a few tips!

I

IvanTerry1977

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi, I new new to this forum.
Living in Sweden and looking to buy a California in the near future.
Have 3 kids so will need to buy the beach, unless someone knows of any other models with 3 seats at the back.
Loved how the Ocean had the kitchen facilities and a shame that it only has 2 seats at the back. I wonder if there is any way to add on extra kitchen facilities to the Beach version. Maybe somebody has done this and Id love to hear about it..

Thats it for now but Im sure to have more questions.

Ivan

Have 3 kids so will need to buy the beach, unless someone knows of any other models with 3 seats at the back.
Loved how the Ocean had the kitchen facilities and a shame that it only has 2 seats at the back. I wonder if there is any way to add on extra kitchen facilities to the Beach version. Maybe somebody has done this and Id love to hear about it..

Ivan

In the UK you can configure a 5 seater Ocean , it adds a single seat in the middle row. It's not ideal for camping but is do-able and works fine for the rest of the time when you are not camping.
A bigger problem with 5 is where everyone sleeps, we had a cab bunk as the 5th berth. Really depends on the size of your kids.

Ivan
Removable kitchen ideas for Beach;::

Ford Nugget will seat 5, LWB version also has additional storage space:

In the UK you can configure a 5 seater Ocean , it adds a single seat in the middle row. It's not ideal for camping but is do-able and works fine for the rest of the time when you are not camping.
A bigger problem with 5 is where everyone sleeps, we had a cab bunk as the 5th berth. Really depends on the size of your kids.
Thanks for the info. Yes, would be a problem with the amount of beds. cheers

My kids are grown up so we no longer need 6 seats... 4 are enough.
IMHO the 5 seat option on the Cali is unusable for going camping. Are you going to take the 5th seat out and keep it under an awning ?
It's only ok when using the vehicle as 2nd everyday car.
If I had to buy today a 5-seat campervan I would have to look at the Nugget as people suggested here, or at a Westfalia Kepler 5. I personally don't like the Nugget/Kepler layout too much. I prefer the Cali layout with side kitchenette and back boot. I loved the Swift Monza seen at NEC. Not VW quality on finish, but the same layout as the Cali would do for me.

Ivan
I know many on here frown on conversions but with 3 kids, perhaps one might suit you better? My son has 3 kids and has ordered a LWB Camperking Santorini (due in March) which looks very nice. 6 seater with 3 seater bench seat.

Ivan
You can consider a multimac (https://www.multimac.com/home) with the Ocean while the children are small.

You should look at a nugget hightop if you have 3 kids. Calicamping family have a great YouTube channel on it. Jumped from a Cali

Back