Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A year of GC

NeillyG

NeillyG

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
Pretty much a year to the day since picked up the van. Got it back today with new tap. Never had the old tap fail but never used it. New step fitted and it’s silky smooth and fridge replaced.
Been a great year of getting away. 28 trips ranging from 1 to 18 nights. Would love to do more. Maybe next year.
Think we did more trips in one year with the GC than we did in our transporter in 4 years. It’s a great van. Hoping the niggles are now all resolved other than the squeaks (interestingly they stop when the weather is warm, sadly that is rare for most of our trips) and the overhead cupboard that opens with the smallest bump.
Bought it without ever seeing one never mind stepping in one and delighted I took the gamble.
I had all these grand plans while I waited on delivery but turns out that A good mattress, a mini table, some seat covers and some shelves in the cupboards are enough for me at the moment. Really admire some of the upgrades folk have done and some of the vans look amazing but our Babar is ticking all the boxes at the moment and can’t wait for another year of trips.

B3C69140-50B8-4CC1-A7BB-1D0C4376F851.jpeg

Pretty much a year to the day since picked up the van. Got it back today with new tap. Never had the old tap fail but never used it. New step fitted and it’s silky smooth and fridge replaced.
Been a great year of getting away. 28 trips ranging from 1 to 18 nights. Would love to do more. Maybe next year.
Think we did more trips in one year with the GC than we did in our transporter in 4 years. It’s a great van. Hoping the niggles are now all resolved other than the squeaks (interestingly they stop when the weather is warm, sadly that is rare for most of our trips) and the overhead cupboard that opens with the smallest bump.
Bought it without ever seeing one never mind stepping in one and delighted I took the gamble.
I had all these grand plans while I waited on delivery but turns out that A good mattress, a mini table, some seat covers and some shelves in the cupboards are enough for me at the moment. Really admire some of the upgrades folk have done and some of the vans look amazing but our Babar is ticking all the boxes at the moment and can’t wait for another year of trips.

View attachment 97283
Happy Vanniversary, mine was on the 4th.
361 days in the van.

F18A13A0-6577-433D-9B07-2380AA5E6796.jpeg

Happy to read that people are satisfied with the GC; a colleague of mine sold his back after a few months because of too many problems, big and small. Especially cracking and squeaking, he said. He had a few Californias before that and a Stylevan after that (and now a big white). We have had a new coast for 3 months now but would we ever change a GC would be a possible opportunity for us (or a westfalia campervan). Have fun with your Grand California!

Last edited:

View attachment 97283
You’ve never used your tap how comes, do you not use water tanks?

I al
You’ve never used your tap how comes, do you not use water tanks?
I always just used the bathroom tap. Too many stories of the tap going. I maybe used it a handful of times in the earlier days but wrapped it in kitchen roll to make sure it stayed dry.
The 4 year warranty and service it came with certainly gives some peace of mind.
Now if I can just get that cupboard door to stay closed and find that squeak before it gets cold again and gets worse.

I al

I always just used the bathroom tap. Too many stories of the tap going. I maybe used it a handful of times in the earlier days but wrapped it in kitchen roll to make sure it stayed dry.
The 4 year warranty and service it came with certainly gives some peace of mind.
Now if I can just get that cupboard door to stay closed and find that squeak before it gets cold again and gets worse.
Van looks great, hope you remember you can now brave the new tap.
Enjoy:thumb

View attachment 97283
Great to hear you are enjoying the van ... ditto for us , we love ours.

Interesting that your dealer changed the tap as warranty even though it hasn't failed. Seems to be a wide variation on how dealers approach the dreaded tap issue - appears many won't replace it until it has gone wrong, and the issue with that is when it dries out there is a chance it works again just fine. Really something VW should just replace, its all about customer service & confidence in the van - so many negatives around it and this one seems very solvable.

Good to hear your enjoying your van, I have to admit the grand 680 is growing on me but just so expensive.

Good to hear your enjoying your van, I have to admit the grand 680 is growing on me but just so expensive.
It is expensive but compared to conversions (unless DIY) and the California I don’t think it’s too bad. Based on how much we have used it this year it feels like we are getting good VFM, certainly compared to the transporter. It’s just a nice place to be in and barring some tight squeezes and the need for some forward planning it is very easy to live with.

Great to hear you are enjoying the van ... ditto for us , we love ours.

Interesting that your dealer changed the tap as warranty even though it hasn't failed. Seems to be a wide variation on how dealers approach the dreaded tap issue - appears many won't replace it until it has gone wrong, and the issue with that is when it dries out there is a chance it works again just fine. Really something VW should just replace, its all about customer service & confidence in the van - so many negatives around it and this one seems very solvable.
I noticed on the job sheet that it said tap failure replaced under warranty. Guess it just depends on the dealership. Seems ridiculous not to just change it when you they know it will happen eventually. Not sure if it is a new better step or just a replacement of the same but it does seem to move a lot more smoothly. Same with the fridge. Not sure if it’s a known fault and it’s been improved it if it’s just the same again but it’s good to have it working properly.

I think you have a really good dealership that have plainly taken the view that customer service and ownership experience is important, something that is unfortunately not widely shared in the VW Commercial world.

View attachment 97283
I have the cupboard thing. I ‘tuned it’ to be a better fit but have now ‘un tuned it’, there is more play but it doesn’t open‍♂️

It is expensive but compared to conversions (unless DIY) and the California I don’t think it’s too bad. Based on how much we have used it this year it feels like we are getting good VFM, certainly compared to the transporter. It’s just a nice place to be in and barring some tight squeezes and the need for some forward planning it is very easy to live with.
I’d echo this though have had it much less time than you. A well optioned GC680 is a similar price to a high spec Ocean now. We still have our Beach but I love being in the GC.

On a similar base vehicle I still maintain its very comparable. The original model that took my eye to go bigger is twice a GC

I noticed on the job sheet that it said tap failure replaced under warranty. Guess it just depends on the dealership. Seems ridiculous not to just change it when you they know it will happen eventually. Not sure if it is a new better step or just a replacement of the same but it does seem to move a lot more smoothly. Same with the fridge. Not sure if it’s a known fault and it’s been improved it if it’s just the same again but it’s good to have it working properly.
Tap is now better IP rated, it required a bigger bore to fit. Microswitch should now be water proof

The cupboard opening thing can be "fixed" by placing 2 or 3 layers of electrical tape on the edge opposite the catch. At least this has stopped the cupboards over the wheels bouncing open for me.

Back