Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

About to have latest warranty roof repair - general advice

Crispo

Crispo

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi All, being a bloke have left this question a bit late in the day!
We have our pride and joy going in for the latest round of roof warranty repair tomorrow, and are dropping into Listers Cov. Just emptying her of anything not tied down, but would ask if there are any specifics we should be looking out for in terms of handing over for this repair - we are having front over windscreen and main roof work conducted. Naturally quite nervous and aware from the forums that some have had a poor experience.
Many thanks in advance for any guidance....

Personally I would seriously consider not having the front panel done unless the corrosion is very bad..Luckily I only had to have the roof done and it worked out ok but from what I understand they don’t replace the roof front panel any longer but just overlay it with a plastic one..I have heard some not very nice things about wind noise and water getting in...I would suggest that before you decide have a good read up on the subject..

Thanks Peter - only started noticing the front panel couple of years ago, and whilst not much still, has increased a lot in last few months. I had read about the plastic cover and related issues so asked about it and Listers Cov assured me (verbally) that they do not use this method. Problem is, have struggled to get any details at all, and none in writing, of scope of works. Will be pressing for this again at drop off.

When the problem first came about VWUK replaces the complete front panel but this so I was told by VW Sinclairs body shop manager costing £4500.. Also they would respray the roof.. They have cut down dramatically because of the ongoing costs. You say they told you they don’t use a plastic overlay panel? What is it they do then?

There have been some pics on here showing the plastic cap
repair, they cut out a lot of the existing front panel.

Its frightening, i wouldn't have it done to mine.

I really don’t know what they intend to do. The garage have not explained in any detail at all, and when I have put questions in writing, no response. As the repair was identified 18 months plus ago, didn’t press at the time as was simply pleased they had identified it and were prepared to fix under warranty - van is a few years old now. But a blink or two and a pesky pandemic later and I am looking over the precipice all so soon!!

Page #176

Post # 3507

You may just want to go ahead and let them do what ever they have to do.
I wouldn't want them to do it to mine but that is just my opinion.

Take photos before it goes in - especially how the front roof seal sits with the roof shut. There have been lots of posts on here from people after they've had the work done asking if the seal is fitted correctly.

When you take it in ASK them exactly what they are going to do. If they won’t give it to you in writing then just record them on your phone...I don’t understand why they wouldn’t want to give you a proper answer..when I took mine in I was told exactly what they were going to do but then I did know the Body shop manager quite well.

Thanks all, lots of pics taken and van dropped off - really helpful lady at Listers has promised to get Claridges to call me and run through what they are doing..

VW bury wouldn’t even inspect my 2018 Beach. They said the recall didn’t apply because its had ‘all been sorted’ by 68. I have a hard time believing them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VW bury wouldn’t even inspect my 2018 Beach. They said the recall didn’t apply because its had ‘all been sorted’ by 68. I have a hard time believing them!

I certainly wouldn’t worry if you can’t see any signs of corrosion..To make sure just lift the roof and pull the rubber seal down. If you can see micro blistering or larger blisters then it needs to be done..If you can’t see anything that’s great...Don’t worry about something that may not happen.

My 2014 is clean as a whistle, including under the elevating roof seal.

So the van went from Listers Cov, to Claridges. Listers admitted to not know what or how repairs were to be done but would get Claridges to call. Hadnt happened after a couple of weeks, so called them.

They had approvals to repair the front panel, and the pop up roof. They subsequently found that their was corrosion on the corner reinforcers (silver) and in the drainage holes. They subsequently requested approvals for these from VW which they had since received so had only just started work.

They explained that they have a template to cut a piece away in the front panel, and cloak over. I explained my fear with this repair as had heard some horrendous stories following it with leaks and wind noise. She explained that VW had changed the bonding materials for much improved ones a year and a half ago, and that they had not heard of any issues since, and also that the repair was not as intrusive as it had been – she was convinced this repair was the best/correct one now.

I asked who warrants the work – she told me that it is VW, although mentioned that VW might be taking the path that repair is ‘goodwill gesture’ only for vans over 6 years old. She did however say that they could of course be approached directly and would resolve any issues that they considered were due to their workmanship……………..long way to go mind!!
Picked van up today, 4 weeks later, and have to say first impressions all good and very tidy!!!

5A3EF8CF-B52F-436C-A5A7-A05B1CB65714.jpeg

F2ECF44C-C297-47C0-AB29-5C4D11B53914.jpeg

63847A6D-102E-47CB-9EDF-EA37B930E21E.jpeg

C0A77339-D55F-45F6-BF06-72C1DE9DCC21.jpeg

8144BB3C-5145-41A5-A5B9-EE1318D1B074.jpeg

Have had a quick search, but can’t find anything in regards warranty - has anyone else heard the ‘goodwill gesture’ thing??

Have had a quick search, but can’t find anything in regards warranty - has anyone else heard the ‘goodwill gesture’ thing??

Our 2012 Beach went in for its 1st service under our ownership at the end of last year with SMG Cowfold + 22,000miles . Dealer said it was flagged for roof corrosion work & they put us on the 2 year (approx) waiting list; They explained that the long wait was due to only a handful of repair places being able to carry out the work to VW satisfaction.