Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

CALI ROOF PROBLEMS - REPAIR WARRANTY

N

nottsknight

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
On 5th May, after a wait of a year, my Cali is going to Shorades for the dreaded roof repair/renewal. Which is it?- do they replace the roof and front piece or do they repair and re-spray only? I cannot get a straight answer from Shorade.

I have no letter or formal correspondence from VW, just a text and a few phone calls. Is there someone decent in VW to contact to get something in writing - I am concerned about the reports of the problem coming back after a year, so I need some evidence that the work was actually completed.

Is the repair/renewal guaranteed for 3 years, 1 year or not at all?

Many thanks in advance

The Body Shop receiver kit for every vehicle which includes a new front cast aluminium section, new bellows, new rubber seal, and every nut and bolt etc, that's required to replace the original roof. The pressed aluminium elevated section is repaired and resprayed not replaced.

We have been given an extended six year Goodwill warranty and I'm pretty certain that at the end of six years from the date of registration of your vehicle the Warranty ceases. Which in your case if it is a 2009 Cali is pretty soon.

One thing I would suggest you request is that the replacement rubber seal is not stuck down because this can aggravate situation of future corrosion if not sealed around the complete circumference of the roof, and will make future inspection impossible.

Some workshops are sticking them down and others aren't.

The Body Shop receiver kit for every vehicle which includes a new front cast aluminium section, new bellows, new rubber seal, and every nut and bolt etc, that's required to replace the original roof. The pressed aluminium elevated section is repaired and resprayed not replaced.

We have been given an extended six year Goodwill warranty and I'm pretty certain that at the end of six years from the date of registration of your vehicle the Warranty ceases. Which in your case if it is a 2009 Cali is pretty soon.

One thing I would suggest you request is that the replacement rubber seal is not stuck down because this can aggravate situation of future corrosion if not sealed around the complete circumference of the roof, and will make future inspection impossible.

Some workshops are sticking them down and others aren't.

Hi SisiBus, are you sure all repairs should get a replacement seal ? Mine done at Shorade last April did not have seal replaced. The metal is now protruding through the rubber at one rear corner & is visible at both front corners, see photos here https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/roof-corrosion-for-the-2nd-time.12680/page-4#post-145572
I have contacted Shorade through their website & await their reply.

I'm pretty certain I was told the seal was part of the repair kit when we visited AB Crush Body Shop and we discussed the repair procedure.

During discussions at VWHQ about the roof repairs, it was suggested that they should look to an alternative to having the metal strip within the rubber seal. I don't know if anyone knows whether this has happened, but I don't think it has.

I still think all the time that the seal contains a metal strip, roof corrosion of the elevated section will not be totally eliminated.

needs a grp roof like the earlier T3''s, T2's etc !!!

Back