Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

About to Order

NOD

NOD

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
After a lot of thought and deliberation, I am ready to order a new California Ocean, my first camper.

The base model will be a 204 4motion DSG in red.

Hopefully the emissions issue will be sorted between order an delivery, 5 - 6 months, I want to secure a build slot as soon as possible.

I just wanted to get some views on what extras are essential, what are desirable and what are a waste of time.

Thank you

After a lot of thought and deliberation, I am ready to order a new California Ocean, my first camper.

Hopefully the emissions issue will be sorted between order an delivery, 5 - 6 months, I want to secure a build slot as soon as possible.

I just wanted to get some views on what extras are essential, what are desirable and what are a waste of time.

Thank you

Hi and welcome.

That’s a bit of a big question and you’ll get some answers.
Such a big decision your best bet is to have a good read of the previous threads on the subject and you’ll learn much.

It really comes down to how YOU are going to use it. The requirements differ for all of us and it’s something your going to have to work out.

To help you around you may find someone who sounds like you and you can click on their name and see what they’ve posted before etc etc.

One mans essential is someone else’s excess.

Good luck.

Mike

Agree with T6 CFO above and welcome to this whole new world - enjoy!

Reactions: NOD
Hi and welcome.

That’s a bit of a big question and you’ll get some answers.
Such a big decision your best bet is to have a good read of the previous threads on the subject and you’ll learn much.

It really comes down to how YOU are going to use it. The requirements differ for all of us and it’s something your going to have to work out.

To help you around you may find someone who sounds like you and you can click on their name and see what they’ve posted before etc etc.

One mans essential is someone else’s excess.

Good luck.

Mike
Thanks Mike
Out of interest i see you have the 4 motion, i've not tried one but interested to know if it has lived upto your expectations. The reason i want one is we race sailing Dinghies and do a race circuit. We visit a lot of sailing clubs around the country and camp at present. Any one who arrives in camper van gets parked up in the car park, where as tents get to be by the waters edge on the grass where the campers cannot get to. id like the option not to be in the car park. We hired a basic 150 2wd (see pic) last year for an event in November to try and it worked out really well.

van.jpg

Thank you
:welcome:welcome:welcome:welcome
Certain things seem to be well received and others not so.
1. Parking Sensors front & rear. A rear camera is also favoured by many.
2. ACC cruise control - varies the speed depending on traffic. Mated with the DSG gearbox it receives many positive comments
3. LED Headlights. Many speak highly of them.
4. Wind out awning. Relatively cheap on a New Build, but expensive to fit afterwards.
5. Multi Function Steering Wheel.
6. In Car Entertainment - I'll leave that upto you. I just favour a radio + DAB, USB music storage and a Sat Nav. If you like technology a lot then there are many options.
7. Heated front and/or Rear screen - well you have the built in Parking heater that takes less than 20 minutes to de-ice the whole vehicle.
8. Remote for Diesel Parking Heater, if not standard.
9. Extra keys
10. Extended warranty if available.

Thanks Mike
Out of interest i see you have the 4 motion, i've not tried one but interested to know if it has lived upto your expectations. The reason i want one is we race sailing Dinghies and do a race circuit. We visit a lot of sailing clubs around the country and camp at present. Any one who arrives in camper van gets parked up in the car park, where as tents get to be by the waters edge on the grass where the campers cannot get to. id like the option not to be in the car park. We hired a basic 150 2wd (see pic) last year for an event in November to try and it worked out really well.

View attachment 29840
With the correct type of tyres - I would suggest All-Seasons you shouldn't have a problem. I've not.
I think you can spec All-Seasons. Be aware with 18" wheels you DON'T get a spare wheel or carrier.

Thanks Mike

View attachment 29840

4 Motion is a complicated one and sums up my starting comment.
I went for it because I’d had a previous high torque front wheel drive Touran and wanted to eliminate the danger of front wheel spin on a 204 with DSG.
So one thing leads to another. I live in the big city now and this is my only motor. On that basis I was not going to Compromise. So 204 it was along with the DSG which I’d run with for 10 years and really like. Suits the Cali well. Then the 4Motion to give better handling and less chance of getting stuck.
Much has been written on this and I go along with the evidence that tyres matter most but the 4Motion will also help.
4 Motion in the snow is another issue and the consensus seems that it will help in getting you up hills but not when your coming down. Again it’s all about the tyres.
Stick 4Motion in the search and you will get loads to read.

Like you the chances of finding a spot a little more off the beaten track can also be thrown into the pot. Again it’s not going to do any harm and may just help.
Not been anywhere muddy yet.

Mike

Welcome!

Have you seen the lovely red one in the classified on here, nothing to do with me.

Last edited:

Thank you
These are the extras I would specify again:

1. Parking sensors definitely, and I find the parking camera good.
2. ACC cruise works very well with DSG.
3. Wind out awning - it isn't a camper otherwise.
4. Multi function steering wheel - you need it for ACC anyway.
5. Privacy glass.
6. Heavy duty anti roll bars.
7. Comfort lighting (extra lights in kitchen).
8. Bluetooth.
9. App connect (I don't have Sat Nav).
10. 80L fuel tank (cheap and useful).

I don't think anything else is vital. I find the standard headlights OK, others don't. I have the side scan radar which might be useful when driving on the continent, otherwise I think it's a bit of a waste of money. The security box is probably a bit of a waste of money as well. I only have two sets of keys - having never lost a car key in my life, I don't need two extra sets hanging around.

I like the standard Devonport wheels, which saves a lot. If you want white, don't bother with the Oryx white. Bog standard flat white looks almost exactly the same in most lights and you will be able to repair any dents or scratches.

Hi and welcome speccing the van is a nightmare there are so many choices. Welsh gas has pretty well nailed it Id agree front and or screen heaters seem a bit pointless with the heater installed. Plus if you have a bike rack fitted you can not see much out of the rear window.

Agree bike rack does not help the poor vision out of the rear window, in fact its bloody awful.

Just to offer a different view, I’d spec the heated front screen every time. I initially thought I’d wasted my money when it was delivered and we saw how good the parking heater is but we soon discovered that as a daily driver and early starts for work the heated screen has really come into its own. I don’t want to fire up the diesel heater every morning and I’m often too disorganised/half asleep in the morning to do it - heated screen has the very worst frost cleared in about 45secs. The perfect backup for when you forget the heater or don’t have 20mins to spare for it to warm up.

Mine is no where near that quick.
I'd say it takes at least as long as it does to scrape it except your sat inside. This is my 3rd vehicle with this function. The 1st was a ford focus and I agree with your speed on that vehicle, then I had it on a range rover which was equivalent to the one on my California. No where near as fast.

Mine is no where near that quick.
I'd say it takes at least as long as it does to scrape it except your sat inside. This is my 3rd vehicle with this function. The 1st was a ford focus and I agree with your speed on that vehicle, then I had it on a range rover which was equivalent to the one on my California. No where near as fast.

That’s odd. I do stand by my timings though. Only thing I’d add is that 45seconds is the point at which I can turn on my windscreen wipers and it all clears away smoothly without any painful scratchy noises . It would be longer if i was waiting for it to melt away of its own accord.